Sky Platform News

God forbid they'd consider including a 17 year-old picture enhancement as standard with their packages.

(29-11-2023, 09:34 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  God forbid they'd consider including a 17 year-old picture enhancement as standard with their packages.
Rumbled, price rise incoming!  Got to offset the loss of the HD charge somehow Big Grin

Sounds like the aim of the game in Sky’s case is not to discontinue SD at all, but rather to break the older Sky boxes that don’t support DVB-S2. Or am I being cynical on that front?

Does look like a switch from DVBS to DVBS2 so yes it would simply stop older SD only boxes from working but nit the end if SD transmissions entirely

This has done by Sky Germany already and is being done in. two phases on Sky Italia starting next week, so NO SURPRISE there

(30-11-2023, 10:18 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Sounds like the aim of the game in Sky’s case is not to discontinue SD at all, but rather to break the older Sky boxes that don’t support DVB-S2. Or am I being cynical on that front?

to be fair, people have had, what, 17 years to upgrade. It's surprising that Sky have "supported" them for so long. Last time I used one it was unusably slow anyway.

I suppose the question is whether Sky would permit a second hand HD box to be swapped in place of an SD box, or whether everyone must go to Q no matter what. I believe it's a free upgrade anyway?

I presume these Sky channels are available in HD too, so what is the purpose of continuing with the SD versions albeit on DVB-S2? Do they still charge that tenner a month for HD? It's been a long time since I was a subscriber.
[-] The following 1 user Likes i.h's post:
  • Brekkie

(30-11-2023, 11:24 AM)i.h Wrote:  to be fair, people have had, what, 17 years to upgrade. It's surprising that Sky have "supported" them for so long. Last time I used one it was unusably slow anyway.

I suppose the question is whether Sky would permit a second hand HD box to be swapped in place of an SD box, or whether everyone must go to Q no matter what. I believe it's a free upgrade anyway?
I don't understand what they're waiting, the switch to "all HD" has been done by Sky Italia has already, and I think the same has been done by Sky Germany.

I understand there are more complications and that Sky UK has more HD channels, probably (although both have been getting there), but c'mon, it's 2023, they're not even trying

(30-11-2023, 11:24 AM)i.h Wrote:  to be fair, people have had, what, 17 years to upgrade. It's surprising that Sky have "supported" them for so long. Last time I used one it was unusably slow anyway.

I presume these Sky channels are available in HD too, so what is the purpose of continuing with the SD versions albeit on DVB-S2? Do they still charge that tenner a month for HD? It's been a long time since I was a subscriber.
I am on a very basic package I don’t get HD Sky Channels though so I am guessing the £10 HD Charge is still a thing.

(30-11-2023, 12:49 PM)harshy Wrote:  I am on a very basic package I don’t get HD Sky Channels though so I am guessing the £10 HD Charge is still a thing.

It's currently £9pm for satellite customers. Stream/Glass get HD free.

(30-11-2023, 01:41 PM)London Lite Wrote:  It's currently £9pm for satellite customers.
Threaten to leave and you get HD for £4 a month.

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web