BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

The Ten, which was titled as BBC News and Weather, has been renamed to BBC News on BBC One’s EPG.

Had been confused about the name change from BBC News at Ten to BBC News and Weather, now it’s changed again…

I’ve been keeping an eye on everything throughout the day, and there are mixture of things I like and don’t like.

I’m not sold on the updated titles, as others did I immediately noticed the jolt to the right to move the globe, hopefully something can be done to make it more central. It does make the numerals look completely off balance.

On the other hand, I like the blip, though I think they could get away with the globe being bigger, having (a set of) the rings overlap the blocks slightly would play into effects seen on BBC One and CBBC’s idents, I could also see a form up and animate out version top and tailing trailers like the curves would in BBC Two.

Not liking the use of just the headline text as the straps for stories, especially for Breaking News. I agree with other points on the camera angles for the two new touch screens needed to show more.
[-] The following 7 users Like PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, James, Jeff, Superman1986, UTVLifer

[Image: image.png]
The Ten went to Sarah Smith for the Trump news. I wonder who is now on WNA - must be Nada Tawfik, then.

Also, there were Sports headlines on the NC - so Newsnight might come with a five-minute delay as Sports update might not go anywhere.
[-] The following 6 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, Reith85, UTVLifer

Hi. I registered on the site about a month ago, namely because of all this news about the BBC's revamp. I started watching it a bit and tbh, I am not impressed. One thing I can't understand is why the countdown is now filled with OLD clips that were decommissioned many years ago when they were revamped in like 2018????? When I watched them, they just felt like the UK ones were chucked in the bin and replaced with the ones commonly used on BBC World News.

Also, the countdown timer being in the middle of the text in a faded font thats hard to read doesn't scream "modern" to me, its bad for accessibility reasons. I haven't watched much of the programming yet, because of other stuff (snooker primarily, and the fact I now watch Sky News because I want predominately UK news coverage with any relevant international stories that could impact the UK), but I'm not particularly impressed with this revamp and it makes me question whether I'll ever watch BBC News again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SuperSajuuk's post:
  • chrisherald

(03-04-2023, 10:05 PM)oscillon Wrote:  [Image: image.png]

The motion on that looked really smeary and blurred. Embarrassing for a flagship, award-winning programme.
[-] The following 10 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, Frances, harshy, IanJRedman, oscillon, Rolling News, SomeRandomStuff, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

It all feels unfinished still to me. I think its the lack of ident change that makes it not seem like a real change.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • bbcworld24, Brekkie

Nigel Lawson obit package voiced by Carolyn Quinn, who left the BBC in February.

Has the Uk feed shown trailers properly? the one time I did catch it was for click but it had the gradient for the iplayer and no times.

(03-04-2023, 09:43 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 09:37 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Speaking of BBC One bulletins, what was the original rationale behind simulcasting the 1/6/10 on the News Channel? Was it because they would be sharing the same studios?
Cost saving. IIRC they started simulcasting the bulletins in 2006. At that stage BBC One were in N6 and News 24 were in N8, but obviously firing up one studio is cheaper than two which is why they chose to simulcast the bulletins.
It was at the time of a cost-saving push, but I don't think simulcasting was a major contributor to that - certainly not as much as axing things like the morning BBC World News bulletin and Business Today. There was obviously a lot of PR-speak about integrated newshours (which would have been good if they'd actually ever been integrated), but duplication was one of the key factors. Unless you had a big breaking news story, you basically had a situation where both News 24 and the One and Six were doing the same stories in a similar order, often with News 24 having to wait to use the same location reporters.

Ultimately, it was decided better to just produce the one programme, though with News 24 retaining the ability to stay with rolling news coverage if necessary. As with many 'retain the ability to's, this became less and less frequent - particularly after the sharing of studios began in 2008.

See if they just based the whole channel on studio B - the channel would look lovely ...

Decent desk area, explainers at the big screen, interactive stuff on the weather screen, big hub in the same studio would be fab.
[-] The following 2 users Like GraemeT88's post:
  • chrisherald, Ittr