BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

The rejoin from Newsnight is possibly the low point of the entire endeavour.

Viewers are dropped into the final 30 seconds of a report before returning to an unintroduced anchor, who promptly throws to the awkward break filler. Then you get the grab-bag bottom 10 minutes of the bulletin before Hardtalk. A bewildering 45 minutes with minimal news value.

Could they not time things so that the first ad break on World is used for a UK-specific introduction to the bulletin? And surely Hardtalk should be afternoon or early hours filler?
[-] The following 8 users Like freeaxe's post:
  • bkman1990, eyeTV, interestednovice, Jeff, matthieu1221, Nutfield001, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(06-04-2023, 11:20 PM)thomalex Wrote:  Does anyone know what’s going on with the ticker/flipper. Is it a feature that has officially been dropped for the new channel or is displaying nothing but the URL just a temporary measure?

Seemed to be there during sports day then it reverted back to the website

Ticket working during hardtalk.

(06-04-2023, 11:26 PM)harshy Wrote:  
(06-04-2023, 11:20 PM)thomalex Wrote:  Does anyone know what’s going on with the ticker/flipper. Is it a feature that has officially been dropped for the new channel or is displaying nothing but the URL just a temporary measure?

Seemed to be there during sports day then it reverted back to the website

Ticket working during hardtalk.
It has been four days and we still don’t know whether the ticker headlines are ditched…  Confused
[-] The following 5 users Like Frances's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, oscillon, thomalex, UTVLifer

I’m confused, is the blip a breakbumper or an opt sting?

Despite David Willis doing World News America today, Sumi is back presenting 2am bulletin. David Willis took part in it as an in-studio correspondent.
[Image: image.png]
Editorially, the bulletin is heavily US-dominated, with an internal US political story from Tennessee being at the top and labelled as "Breaking".
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

(06-04-2023, 06:52 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Not that anyone’s interested but I’ve 95% tuned out. Can’t muster the energy to write a page on my thoughts because I really can’t gather them all.

As a stalwart of these forums I am totally dismayed at what’s happened and I simply don’t care. BBC News has lost its way and it’s a tragic state of affairs.

Tim Davie and his army are to blame, NOT the Tory pressure. It’s an abomination what’s happened.

They’ve f**ked it up and they knew it was coming all along.

The issue is the cuts to the BBC's funding over the last decade and the current freeze in the licence fee is why there's now a unified BBC News channel. You can't separate one from the other.

Yes, you can argue there are other courses of action that could/should have been taken to either ensure separate domestic and international channels still existed or even different formats for the unified channel. However, what has happened hasn't occured in isolation just because.
[-] The following 12 users Like Jeff's post:
  • AJB39, bai4943, chrisdafur, chrisherald, matthieu1221, Radio_man, Reith85, SlimyTrain, SuperSajuuk, Telefunken, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(06-04-2023, 12:17 AM)Reith85 Wrote:  This merged channel reminds me of what BBC News is reduced to when its NUJ members are on strike.
At least the bulletins during the strikes managed to be better. Better balance of different audiences and better choice of stories. 
www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

But I do want this mess to continue so that the management are forced into a partial reversal at the very least.
[-] The following 6 users Like Independent's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, woodnorton, xlalonce

(06-04-2023, 06:52 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Not that anyone’s interested but I’ve 95% tuned out. Can’t muster the energy to write a page on my thoughts because I really can’t gather them all.

As a stalwart of these forums I am totally dismayed at what’s happened and I simply don’t care. BBC News has lost its way and it’s a tragic state of affairs.

Tim Davie and his army are to blame, NOT the Tory pressure. It’s an abomination what’s happened.

They’ve f**ked it up and they knew it was coming all along.
It comes down to internal choices by the BBC. The ABC has endured decades of this culture war stuff with regular funding freezes and cuts from conservative governments, but they continue to run a domestic news channel on what would be a fraction of the cost for a much smaller audience! 

youtube.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Newsroom, Pips2022

(07-04-2023, 05:44 AM)kookaburra Wrote:  It comes down to internal choices by the BBC. The ABC has endured decades of this culture war stuff with regular funding freezes and cuts from conservative governments, but they continue to run a domestic news channel on what would be a fraction of the cost for a much smaller audience! 
I watch the YouTube stream from time to time. What I've noticed is some press conferences are played in full but delayed because the "live" DOG is missing and the anchor/presenter says something like "the police chief spoke a moment ago let's listen in". I don't know how much the delay is. These are played after a segment is finished. Others interrupt planned segments and they're always live. I don't know if this is because it's because "less urgent" breaking news can wait or their ability to break news "instantaneously" is a bit hampered by because they have fewer staff (like France 24 according to what some have said previously). If that's the case, would UK viewers prefer that than having merged bulletins from 11 am to 5 pm on weekdays? Of course, would that even be possible given how deep the cut seems to be?
Their weekend daytime anchor/presenter has an on-air shift of 7 hours though there's a bit of recorded programming. Though I think merged weekend bulletins is an acceptable trade off for the BBC as it is slower. If breaking news happens or even a press conference that's only of interest to UK audiences the BBC could get away with it since WN is pretty heaving on repeating recorded programming on weekends.
It would be interesting to see how much the ABC News channel costs to run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Independent's post:
  • kookaburra

(07-04-2023, 06:50 AM)Independent Wrote:  
(07-04-2023, 05:44 AM)kookaburra Wrote:  It comes down to internal choices by the BBC. The ABC has endured decades of this culture war stuff with regular funding freezes and cuts from conservative governments, but they continue to run a domestic news channel on what would be a fraction of the cost for a much smaller audience! 
I watch the YouTube stream from time to time. What I've noticed is some press conferences are played in full but delayed because the "live" DOG is missing and the anchor/presenter says something like "the police chief spoke a moment ago let's listen in". I don't know how much the delay is. These are played after a segment is finished. Others interrupt planned segments and they're always live. I don't know if this is because it's because "less urgent" breaking news can wait or their ability to break news "instantaneously" is a bit hampered by because they have fewer staff (like France 24 according to what some have said previously). If that's the case, would UK viewers prefer that than having merged bulletins from 11 am to 5 pm on weekdays? Of course, would that even be possible given how deep the cut seems to be?
Their weekend daytime anchor/presenter has an on-air shift of 7 hours though there's a bit of recorded programming. Though I think merged weekend bulletins is an acceptable trade off for the BBC as it is slower. If breaking news happens or even a press conference that's only of interest to UK audiences the BBC could get away with it since WN is pretty heaving on repeating recorded programming on weekends.
It would be interesting to see how much the ABC News channel costs to run.
The pressers have always been handled like that - a mix of live or prerecorded. Anything proper important, eg a PM announcement, bushfire etc is live. The recently recorded ones are I think more of a factor of Australia’s federated system. It can often be a juggle when you have competing stories/breaking news/announcements from all the states + Canberra. The ABC NC can definitely crash in and do rolling news as needed. 

The channel can also move around and be broadcast from Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth etc as needed. In the last few years ABC Perth has recently taken more and more control of late news and overnights before Melbourne comes online with Breakfast. 

It’s a good service, you’d hope NBH picked up the phone to ABC HQ in Ultimo to learn more before all of this.
[-] The following 4 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent, Kojak