BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(07-04-2023, 05:49 PM)ALV Wrote:  I like how they're trying to be future proof by cutting back some graphical elements they deemed "legacy", BUT they're still stuck in the 4:3 safezone. Maybe removing that will give them more flexibility?

(Yes I know some providers still broadcast in 4:3, well in that case just letterbox the 16:9 feed...)
A couple minutes ago the following was shown (apologies for the poor quality pic)...
[Image: 20230407_194039.jpg]
If they positioned the graphics into 14:9 safe then it would have allowed for the above caption to be in a larger font size.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Frances

(07-04-2023, 07:46 PM)Keith Wrote:  
(07-04-2023, 05:49 PM)ALV Wrote:  I like how they're trying to be future proof by cutting back some graphical elements they deemed "legacy", BUT they're still stuck in the 4:3 safezone. Maybe removing that will give them more flexibility?

(Yes I know some providers still broadcast in 4:3, well in that case just letterbox the 16:9 feed...)
A couple minutes ago the following was shown (apologies for the poor quality pic)...
If they positioned the graphics into 14:9 safe then it would have allowed for the above caption to be in a larger font size.

That 14:9 safe zone also fails because you would have half of the presenters face if it actually was an issue.

(07-04-2023, 06:55 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(07-04-2023, 06:32 PM)Kojak Wrote:  What was wrong with having an automated ticker? I know the headlines on it were generally a bit dodgy, but that could have been easily rectified - just scrape the first paragraph from each article on the website, rather than the headlines.
Certainly, there must be a way of giving each web article an alt-headline that works for the ticker and then have the ticker automatically cycle through the ones on the home page. No need to actually involve anyone, you could even bulk it up with automated things like market data, etc.

Even if they genuinely believe that it is of no use to mobile phone viewers (who must surely be a clear minority of viewers), it just seems odd to just remove a service that can be done pretty much entirely via automation and which does have some value. (Though I do realise that this is far from the first decision within this transition that has made me go 'just seems odd to...').
I'm not sure they even need to do that - let's take a look at the first sentences from some of today's front page stories:

[*]S Club 7 star Paul Cattermole has died at the age of 46, weeks after the band announced a comeback tour.
[*]The firm that audits the SNP's finances has resigned, the BBC has learned.
[*]US journalist Evan Gershkovich has been formally charged with spying in Russia, according to local media.
[*]US Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has said he believed luxury trips taken with a billionaire Republican donor followed guidelines.
[*]Broadway star Laura Benanti has said she performed on stage earlier this week while having a miscarriage.

I don't think any of those would look out of place on a ticker. The text is there - all that needs to be done is for some code to be written that scrapes that first sentence from each article and load it onto the ticker system. Once the code is written, it's there, so it's not as if it would be an ongoing cost.

It's small, simple things like this that can be so easily rectified with just a little creativity, yet put together they make a big difference to the quality of the channel. Tin foil hat on for a second - part of me does wonder if there is some sabotage going on, at all levels, to force some sort of rethink. Probably not, but then stranger things have happened...
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • chrisherald, dvboy, Jeff

(07-04-2023, 07:46 PM)Keith Wrote:  

Hopefully the sloppy presentation of the headline like you've capped, the way the ticker is gone but the space is still occupied, and the poor design of many of the graphics is an indicator that there's a proper rebrand on the way...

It'd be nice to see them being a bit more adventurous, evolving the brand. It really does feel time.

The Context now has a Friday edition:
[Image: 07af6d191f75bc4970255bb49b64a22e-png.jpg]
Coincidentally the ticker just returned. Must be a mistake though, I refuse to believe they just read our forum lol. Enjoy while it lasts before it gets taken down.

Has this presenter ever appeared on BBC NC?

(07-04-2023, 08:05 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Has this presenter ever appeared on BBC NC?

Yes and no. She has presented breakfast a couple of times over the past couple of months as well as 15 years ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes qwerty123's post:
  • interestednovice

(07-04-2023, 08:01 PM)ALV Wrote:  The Context now has a Friday edition:
[Image: 07af6d191f75bc4970255bb49b64a22e-png.jpg]
Coincidentally the ticker just returned. Must be a mistake though, I refuse to believe they just read our forum lol. Enjoy while it lasts before it gets taken down.
Wow, not Maryam! After she filled in consecutively for Lucy, Matthew and Yalda on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, it seemed all but inevitable and somewhat neat that she will fill in for Christian and thus complete her 4-day shift.

Also, no new short presenter-less headlines at 8pm, instead ordinary headlines went on air, with Sarah Campbell (the presenter) voicing over them live.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • interestednovice

^^^ My theory was almost right. Or maybe she has the day off.

(07-04-2023, 08:05 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Has this presenter ever appeared on BBC NC?

I think that's Sarah Campbell. Not entirely unfamiliar to UK audiences.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reith85's post:
  • interestednovice