BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(07-04-2023, 10:15 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  On to the weekend, let's see what happens there....

Actually, it's going to be interesting to see what happens in about half-an-hour. Who will take the 11pm shift given there is no Newsday? Where will it come from? If Singapore remains almost defunct during weekends, are we going to see more DC presenters in the coming days, or will David and Sumi carry it all?
[-] The following 3 users Like oscillon's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, UTVLifer

(07-04-2023, 09:46 PM)mdta Wrote:  
(07-04-2023, 09:41 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Oh dear lord. That picture quality is shocking in this day and age. The colours coming out from that video look so washed out; it has the feeling of looking aneamic. 

Very poor showing from the BBC here.

Why the assumption it wasn't uploaded at 1080p and its a YouTube issue that its not available in HD yet?
This is strange, I watched that video in full quality at this link ( youtu.be  ) before it was deleted

So it seems the overnight generic bulletins on Friday-Sunday will be handled by Washington rather than Singapore:
[Image: e6e6ec66aaff52fe7b1f21bb07ee83e2.png]
[-] The following 7 users Like ALV's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, oscillon, Reith85, UTVLifer

So most likely it will be 3 hours by Sumi (2300-0200 BST) and then 3 hours (0200-0500 BST) by David Willis (he presented WNA today, as well as yesterday).
[-] The following 4 users Like oscillon's post:
  • ginnyfan, interestednovice, Reith85, UTVLifer

If Washington has an location view on the backdrop I think London should bring theirs back.. after all they do say “live from london” and “live from Washington” I’m not sure what Singapore does. The new backdrop still doesn’t cut it for me, too washed out too much blur on close ups and at a glance gives me slight reminders of n6 days 20 years ago.
[-] The following 5 users Like damian's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, EastCoast, interestednovice, UTVLifer

(07-04-2023, 11:33 PM)damian Wrote:  I’m not sure what Singapore does.

Singapore has a voice-over in the titles "Live from our studio in Singapore. This is BBC News. It's Newsday."

Moreover, before the headlines Karishma Vaswani usually says "Welcome to Newsday. Reporing live from Singapore. I'm Karishma Vaswani. The headlines..." Other presenters (Monica Miller and Mariko Oi) follow that exact pattern as well.

It's not something new, it has been there since single-headed post-pandemic relaunch of the show.

(07-04-2023, 11:33 PM)damian Wrote:  The new backdrop still doesn’t cut it for me, too washed out too much blur on close ups and at a glance gives me slight reminders of n6 days 20 years ago.

I do not think the blur has something to do with the backdrop itself, it is the same as in Studio B. What it has to do with are the 6mm pixel pitch in this video wall behind the presenter.
annavalley.co.uk 
[-] The following 5 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, SomeRandomStuff, UTVLifer

(07-04-2023, 11:40 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(07-04-2023, 11:33 PM)damian Wrote:  The new backdrop still doesn’t cut it for me, too washed out too much blur on close ups and at a glance gives me slight reminders of n6 days 20 years ago.

I do not think the blur has something to do with the backdrop itself, it is the same as in Studio B. What it has to do with are the 6mm pixel pitch in this video wall behind the presenter.
annavalley.co.uk 

If one thinks rightly. Wasn't this screen type (Toshiba 6mm LED Panels) the type that was in the original first incarnation Studio B and used most on Andrew Marr, Sunday Politics, Victoria Derbyshire and the various BBC World News branded programme Impact?

If one thinks rightly the screen as I describe is behind the chairs on the right in this image:
[Image: vd1-1024x576.jpg]
(Image Source: Victoria Derbyshire (2019-2020) - TV Live)

Editied to add information.
[-] The following 5 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, oscillon, SomeRandomStuff, UTVLifer

Anna Valley says that Studio B also had Toshiba 6mm screens, so most likely it's them, but cleverly arranged in a curved shape.
annavalley.co.uk 

Quote:Anna valley Displays have provided the displays technology for the new Newsnight studio, used for the first time recently. Display Technology used includes Barco OL510 LED lit cubes, Toshiba 6mm LED panels and Panasonic 103” Plasma Screens with video switching and control provided by a Christie Spyder X20.

It appears that Sumi Somaskanda is doing one heck of a shift tonight - it's 3am in London, and she started her fifth (half-)hour from DC right now. It will be weird if they didn't split the overnight between her and David Willis...
[-] The following 5 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, SomeRandomStuff, UTVLifer

Breaking news folks… we have a working flipper on World 😮
[-] The following 7 users Like Daveuk's post:
  • AIB01WB, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, oscillon, Reith85, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(07-04-2023, 05:49 PM)ALV Wrote:  I like how they're trying to be future proof by cutting back some graphical elements they deemed "legacy", BUT they're still stuck in the 4:3 safezone. Maybe removing that will give them more flexibility?

(Yes I know some providers still broadcast in 4:3, well in that case just letterbox the 16:9 feed...)
If I remember correctly they have ditched the 4:3 safezone after moving to NBH.

Currently the graphics are in 14:9 safe zone and the safe zone is consistent with overscan.

But sometimes they also fail to position the picture in the 14:9 safe zone as Worzel pointed it out on Monday…

[Image: 1680928658_1988258204.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Frances's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Quantum+83, SomeRandomStuff