BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(24-04-2023, 01:01 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Sophie doing the 1 for the first time in a while!

Might be the first time since I started seeing the One when previously fully and now partially working from home over 3 years ago!
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom, Quantum+83, Rolling News

(24-04-2023, 01:02 PM)FactorFiles Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 12:50 PM)Keith Wrote:  Don't faint, but currently the ticker in the UK is actually showing news headlines rather than just "bbc.co.uk".

International ticker is currently scrolling between 3 headlines
The UK feed has switched back to that static URL since 1pm but the intl version, which is staying with Studio C, is still showing the headlines.

And unlike the first few days, the headlines are not automatically grabbed from the BBC News website.
[-] The following 4 users Like Frances's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83

(24-04-2023, 11:59 AM)qwerty123 Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 11:22 AM)Moz Wrote:  Wonder if there’s some sort of dispute with the previous regular newsreaders and this is why we’re seeing a lot of temps.

Ironically this particular temp *is* in dispute with the BBC. She won’t present additional bulletins on the programme she is contracted to present but will happily appear on the higher profile channel at will. In any other industry if somebody outright refuses to do half of their regular job they wouldn’t be getting higher profile opportunities but apparently this is perfectly acceptable at the BBC.
Not sure this statement is accurate and true.

Over the last 9 months she has been on secondment to London often presenting overnight. 
She returned to the South in February this year but continued to appear in London so the secondment must have been modified. 

There is a current work to rule which is going on in the English regions due to redundancies in local radio, this means presenters and correspondents who could present the breakfast, lunch, weekend or night time bulletins will not cover in the event of the main programme anchor being absent. This is a nation wide NUJ action and not limited to an individual but is confined to the regions. I would also imagine that the terms of the secondment are also contractual.
[-] The following 13 users Like South's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, cando, chrisherald, DTV, Happy2001, Kojak, leewilliams, Matrix, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, TVFan, whistlerpro

(24-04-2023, 01:40 PM)South Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 11:59 AM)qwerty123 Wrote:  Ironically this particular temp *is* in dispute with the BBC. She won’t present additional bulletins on the programme she is contracted to present but will happily appear on the higher profile channel at will. In any other industry if somebody outright refuses to do half of their regular job they wouldn’t be getting higher profile opportunities but apparently this is perfectly acceptable at the BBC.
Not sure this statement is accurate and true.

Over the last 9 months she has been on secondment to London often presenting overnight. 
She returned to the South in February this year but continued to appear in London so the secondment must have been modified. 

There is a current work to rule which is going on in the English regions due to redundancies in local radio, this means presenters and correspondents who could present the breakfast, lunch, weekend or night time bulletins will not cover in the event of the main programme anchor being absent. This is a nation wide NUJ action and not limited to an individual but is confined to the regions. I would also imagine that the terms of the secondment are also contractual.
Action short of a strike (ASOS) is quite common in certain industries. Essentially, a form of work to rule but employers are entitled to reduce or withhold pay for partial performance.

BBC have just replied to my complaint about the lack of news service between 9am and 11am. It's almost like their response was written by the press office again. They also still haven't fixed the ticker after a couple weeks so I have now escalated to Ofcom and of course the ASA. They can't broadcast non-news programming on the channel so they need to be held to account
[-] The following 3 users Like mokked's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, thomalex

(24-04-2023, 01:02 PM)FactorFiles Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 12:50 PM)Keith Wrote:  Don't faint, but currently the ticker in the UK is actually showing news headlines rather than just "bbc.co.uk".

International ticker is currently scrolling between 3 headlines

Delighted to see the ticker finally back working on both the UK and World feeds even if it’s only displaying 3 headlines at present.

(24-04-2023, 04:10 PM)mokked Wrote:  BBC have just replied to my complaint about the lack of news service between 9am and 11am. It's almost like their response was written by the press office again. They also still haven't fixed the ticker after a couple weeks so I have now escalated to Ofcom and of course the ASA. They can't broadcast non-news programming on the channel so they need to be held to account

Oh yes, to me too, and yes and the phone in "Since its launch on Monday 17 April, the programme has seen very high levels of audience engagement, with many viewers contacting the programme by phone and text to share their views". I wonder what difference to what it was getting on 5 live?

(24-04-2023, 04:10 PM)mokked Wrote:  BBC have just replied to my complaint about the lack of news service between 9am and 11am. It's almost like their response was written by the press office again. They also still haven't fixed the ticker after a couple weeks so I have now escalated to Ofcom and of course the ASA. They can't broadcast non-news programming on the channel so they need to be held to account

Why are you wasting the ASA's time?
[-] The following 14 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, cando, chevron, Hadrien, LargelyALurker, LDN, matthieu1221, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, steve, strollfan, TVFan, XIII

(24-04-2023, 04:38 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  

Why are you wasting the ASA's time?

How is it wasting the ASA's time? The service is called BBC News not BBC Talk. Im just hoping to get the BBC to do the right thing and give us access to news in the mornings, quite a simple request that they are currently ignoring. I implore everyone to do three things, complain to the BBC, complain to Ofcom and complain to the ASA.

(24-04-2023, 04:59 PM)mokked Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 04:38 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  Why are you wasting the ASA's time?
How is it wasting the ASA's time? The service is called BBC News not BBC Talk. Im just hoping to get the BBC to do the right thing and give us access to news in the mornings, quite a simple request that they are currently ignoring. I implore everyone to do three things, complain to the BBC, complain to Ofcom and complain to the ASA.
While I would agree that it would be preferable to show BBC News rather than Nicky Campbell at that time (at least on BBC News, leaving Campbell on Two if needs be), this isn't really something within the ASA's purview. And it's hardly the least 'newsy' programme shown on the channel either now or in the past - not just the various pre-recorded feature programmes, but things like E24, Your News and The Film Review were all more questionable fits for the channel (although, much to some people's chagrin, were all consistently higher raters for it).
[-] The following 9 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jayesyn, mokked, Roger Darthwell, strollfan, woodnorton