BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I just read that the BBC Chairman has resigned this morning over a cronyism row about his £800k loan to Boris Johnson while Sharp was appointed as BBC Chairman.

https://news.sky.com/story/bbc-chairman-richard-sharp-resigns-12832218

Are the BBC covering this story via the UK feed right now?
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • chrisherald

(28-04-2023, 10:05 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  I just read that the BBC Chairman has resigned this morning over a cronyism row about his £800k loan to Boris Johnson before he was appointed as PM.

Are the BBC covering this story via the UK feed right now?
It’s the Nicky Campbell phone in at the moment covering the story. It looks stupid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thunderclap's post:
  • chrisherald

Good to see the resignation backdrop uses the new logo  Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, GeeTeeKay474

(28-04-2023, 10:05 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  I just read that the BBC Chairman has resigned this morning over a cronyism row about his £800k loan to Boris Johnson while Sharp was appointed as BBC Chairman.

Are the BBC covering this story via the UK feed right nowhere?

Yes, Nicky Campbell for once is all over it since 10am when the resignation was announced, now with an in-studio guest

[Image: image.png]

UPD. At 10:30 am BBC News smoothly handed over to Ben Thompson in Studio C. World feed apparently did not opt out to HardTalk, and continued to air Ben with Richard Sharp coverage.
[-] The following 4 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

The UK feed of BBC News has broke away from Nicky Campbell and now gone to Ben Thompson in Studio C.

(28-04-2023, 10:05 AM)kman1990 Wrote:  I just read that the BBC Chairman has resigned this morning over a cronyism row about his £800k loan to Boris Johnson while Sharp was appointed as BBC Chairman.

Are the BBC covering this story via the UK feed right nowhere?

BBC News is covering this story - Nicky Campbell broke it at exactly 1000h. 

Statement from Richard Sharp in front of a very Chameleonesque background, with the screen littered with BBC logos, just in case anyone had forgotten which organisation's reputation had been tarnished by this disgraceful clown as a result of his shady "old boys' network" dealings. 

Same shot with breaking news lowers (although I don't think the 'BREAKING' text has actually appeared at any point - I'm pretty sure it's only said "BBC Chairman Richard Sharp resigns" the whole time, even when the strap animates off- and on-screen). 

On an unrelated note, what exactly is the point of this pushback? 

The ticker is constantly showing the contact details, with the incessant command "CONTACT US", and Nicky Campbell takes every opportunity to beg for more and more opinions, endlessly giving out the contact info -- so why bother duplicating this information, along with yet another 5 Live logo, as if there isn't enough of that branding throughout the show? 

One thing that consistently amazes me on this new BBC News channel is how often I see time and effort being spent on worthless features like this, while other glaring and painfully obvious issues are allowed to persist.

Edit: The alternating 'BREAKING' text on the lower-thirds did finally make an appearance at 1030 when coverage switched to Ben Thompson in C. You may now begin rejoicing.
[-] The following 6 users Like LDN's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, DeMarkay, Jayesyn, Matrix, UTVLifer

One thing I will just add is that the coverage on BBC News of this Richard Sharp saga over the last hour has been excellent. Superb, concise content; and for the most part, slick presentation and production. 

The BBC is always ruthlessly brilliant in covering its own most difficult moments.
[-] The following 17 users Like LDN's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, DeMarkay, Frances, IanJRedman, Kojak, LargelyALurker, mokked, Newsroom, Quantum+83, Reith85, thePineapple, Tim G, TVFan, UTVLifer, woodnorton

Well a not so clean handover has just occurred from Ben Thompson in Studio C to Mark Lobel in Studio J just 4 minutes before the 11am TOTH.

I thought there would be a weather forecast by now before the 11am bulletin this morning.

It's another bit of sloppy presentation to add to the lists of mistakes for this combined BBC News Channel.

It is a real pity things just still don't look right in some places for this new news channel even on a big story like this one that affects the entire workings of the BBC.
[-] The following 3 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • AIB01WB, London Lite, MLehon

Great work from BBC News this morning, just jumped on iPlayer and the handing over was much smoother than we have seen in recent times

are their graphics broken - every contributor is live from Cambridge, apparently. Thought it was a bit odd when it said that for a Scottish MP!
[-] The following 4 users Like i.h's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Spencer, Stuart