BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(02-05-2023, 11:12 PM)Andrew Wrote:  After crashing into Newsnight earlier, About 3 minutes past 11 they then crashed out of Newsnight back into the World News feed, where Nicky was now in newsroom correspondent mode talking to the main presenter

So the news channel got about 15 mins of the middle of Newsnight tonight!
I didn't realise they also cut off the end of the programme, as well as the start. You've got to admit, that is pretty shoddy work. Even GB News wasn't as bad as this after the 1st week on air!
[-] The following 4 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, Rolling News, TJTSW

(03-05-2023, 04:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(03-05-2023, 12:26 PM)Chud Wrote:  I thought his attire was a nice fresh change for reporting on Wrexham parade. Not the best for the Buckingham Palace story.

Exactly.  I've no issue with less formality, but for certain stories it doesn't look right for the BBC.   With that shirt though they could just CGI a suit and tie on.    Big Grin

BBC News at the moment feels like a strike day service with minimal UK output from unfamiliar faces.

I agree, an unknown face sitting in a broom cupboard wearing a casual shirt opting in and out of other programmes at random does look like an emergency strike service
[-] The following 9 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Brekkie, Juicy Joe, matthieu1221, Moz, Quantum+83, TJTSW, Yorksman

Hope the Fashion Police approves of Yalda's outfit tonight. Angel
[-] The following 4 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, SlimyTrain, UTVLifer, wontorra

Just noticed that the UK feed now has a special Newsnight teaser during the 10 headlines shown in the national&regional headlines place.

Previously, of course, they aired Sport headlines there.
[-] The following 4 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, LargelyALurker, xlalonce

BREAKING NEWS THOSE ROTA WATCHERS!

Fiona Bruce is doing the TEN!
[-] The following 8 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, matthew, MLehon, Quantum+83, Reith85, Rolling News, Superman1986, UTVLifer

BBC News Channel interupts the closing comments mid-sentence from Fiona Bruce to join Newsnight on time, with a wipe stating "This programme continues on BBC One."
[-] The following 4 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Rolling News

Why they can't/don't/won't co-ordinate the timings of BBC Two such that the Ten and Newsnight meet cleanly (as seen on the NC) is beyond me.

Once the decision was made (presumably weeks/months in advance) that Newsnight would start being simulcast on the NC, whatever planning and preparation would be needed to achieve the above should've been a top consideration in the minds of those in charge.

The consistently messy junction circa 10:30pm on the NC is as if this is coming from something other than a major and professional broadcasting organisation.

EDIT: Was there *ever* an era (or even a single occasion!) when Newsnight actually started bang on the scheduled time?

For as long as I care to remember, BBC Two has seemingly run its weekday evening schedule deliberately late (presumably by having extra trailers between programmes?) so that e.g. the 9pm/9:30pm programme starts 30 seconds late, the 10pm programme starts 1 minute late etc (or whatever).

Much is made of how rare it is for ITV's News at Ten to actually start bang on 22:00, but the equivalent has been true of Newsnight for far longer I think.
[-] The following 7 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Kojak, London Lite, Newsroom, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83

(04-05-2023, 04:49 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  Why they can't/don't/won't co-ordinate the timings of BBC Two such that the Ten and Newsnight meet cleanly (as seen on the NC) is beyond me.

Once the decision was made (presumably weeks/months in advance) that Newsnight would start being simulcast on the NC, whatever planning and preparation would be needed to achieve the above should've been a top consideration in the minds of those in charge.

The consistently messy junction circa 10:30pm on the NC is as if this is coming from something other than a major and professional broadcasting organisation.

EDIT: Was there *ever* an era (or even a single occasion!) when Newsnight actually started bang on the scheduled time?

For as long as I care to remember, BBC Two has seemingly run its weekday evening schedule deliberately late (presumably by having extra trailers between programmes?) so that e.g. the 9pm/9:30pm programme starts 30 seconds late, the 10pm programme starts 1 minute late etc (or whatever).

Much is made of how rare it is for ITV's News at Ten to actually start bang on 22:00, but the equivalent has been true of Newsnight for far longer I think.
I do agree with you thoroughly. I suppose the difference between News at Ten and Newsnight not starting on time is that the former has the time in the title, whereas Newsnight… doesn’t. Plus I think NaT historically (certainly pre-1999) always did start on time, whereas I don’t know that Newsnight has had that consistency. 

(As an aside, what annoys me slightly is when News at Ten starts well after 10 - like last night when it was on at 10.15 - and it’s still called News at Ten. I know that’s the brand, so it’s obviously not a massive deal, but it is still a bit jarring.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Former Member 406

Given that Newsnight (Mon-Thurs) has the awkward duration of 40 minutes, does that mean that the NC (UK feed) now crashes into the already-underway 23:00 (World) output circa 10 minutes late (presumably meaning that there are currently messy NC junctions at *both* ends of Newsnight)?

Mon-Thurs editions of Newsnight have already been reduced from their longstanding 50-min slot to 40-mins in recent years. And the Friday edition has only had a 30 minute slot for many years, due to when it used to be followed by a weekly arts programme (e.g. Late Review / Newsnight Review) on BBC Two.

It would surely be wise to tidy things up by having it reduced to a 30-min slot five days a week, so that the NC simulcast can end cleanly in time for the NC's own 23:00 output.

(04-05-2023, 06:26 AM)Kojak Wrote:  As an aside, what annoys me slightly is when News at Ten starts well after 10 - like last night when it was on at 10.15 - and it’s still called News at Ten. I know that’s the brand, so it’s obviously not a massive deal, but it is still a bit jarring.
I'm sure someone told us up thread that if a main bulletin begins between the TOTH and :30, they will still refer to it as the 1/6/10. Anything later and they just use generic titles.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Kojak