BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

They really should swap the order of the 2nd and 3rd shots in the titles - this would correct the mistake they've continued since the original move to NBH's edit for the News Channel, where they don't seem to understand that as originally designed the burst of circles corresponds with the pips.
[-] The following 7 users Like FactorFiles's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 406, Ma76, Spencer, Superman1986

(08-05-2023, 10:38 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  News at Ten also has the improved opening titles. I didn't manage to catch the Six.
The Six had the titles improved as well. However, generic BBC News bulletins still had botched frame rate, at least for Washington overnights.

No headlines or titles at 11am on the UK feed, straight into breaking news from Pakistan. It almost looked like UK opted (almost smoothly, instant lower third appearance gave it away) into an already rolling World coverage, with Lucy Grey introducing the reporter only by name at the start of the DTL. Did World crash out of Hardtalk towards the end of the latter?

Also, yesterday WNA utilized a more compact version of lower thirds for some of the stories by using the layout meant for name straps, with BBC News ticker not rising up.

[Image: image.png]
Not sure if it's a bug or they are trying something.
[-] The following 5 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Ma76, Quantum+83, xlalonce

(09-05-2023, 11:23 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(08-05-2023, 10:38 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  News at Ten also has the improved opening titles. I didn't manage to catch the Six.
The Six had the titles improved as well. However, generic BBC News bulletins still had botched frame rate, at least for Washington overnights.

No headlines or titles at 11am on the UK feed, straight into breaking news from Pakistan. It almost looked like UK opted (almost smoothly, instant lower third appearance gave it away) into an already rolling World coverage, with Lucy Grey introducing the reporter only by name at the start of the DTL. Did World crash out of Hardtalk towards the end of the latter?

Also, yesterday WNA utilized a more compact version of lower thirds for some of the stories by using  the layout meant for name straps, with BBC News ticker not rising up.

[Image: image.png]
Not sure if it's a bug or they are trying something.
NC titles’ frame rates are not botched - just normal 25 FPS.

BBC1 bulletin titles have been enhanced with interlaced video format after moving to Studio B, making the animation smoother - but last month’s modification made it botched. I guess it’s because of wrong encoding settings.

The compact aston appeared so many times last month including on World Business Report so I don’t think it means a significant graphic format change is coming.

And on the ticker - I don’t want to be a continuous tracker so I only talk about it when there’s a potential major change - now it works during London-produced NC hours, including generic newscasts and UK opt-outs, between 0700 and 2300. BBC1 bulletins and Newsnight simulcasts, Focus on Africa, and Washington and Singapore hours don’t use it. This new format is in effect after all London-produced NC newscasts moving to C.
[-] The following 3 users Like Frances's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, oscillon

(09-05-2023, 01:43 PM)Frances Wrote:  And on the ticker - I don’t want to be a continuous tracker so I only talk about it when there’s a potential major change - now it works during London-produced NC hours, including generic newscasts and UK opt-outs, between 0700 and 2300. BBC1 bulletins and Newsnight simulcasts, Washington and Singapore hours don’t use it. This new format is in effect after all London-produced NC newscasts moving to C.
This appears to be the pattern indeed, good spot! However, I'm not sure you can link it to the NC move to Studio C, which happened on April 24.
Working ticker was not seen much until May, and even during the last week London-produced daytime hours sometimes had a static ticker (e.g. May 2nd: 5pm hour, The Context)

UPD. Well, right now, May 9th, 1400 UKT hour, the ticker is again static on the UK feed for some reason despite it being a London-produced NC hour with no UK opt-outs.

(08-05-2023, 06:51 PM)thomalex Wrote:  The amount of time and money they must have spent bodging around with these titles. It baffles me why they don't just get some new ones.

Absolutely.  And they can afford a new countdown sequence with every tweak too.

(09-05-2023, 02:33 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(09-05-2023, 01:43 PM)Frances Wrote:  And on the ticker - I don’t want to be a continuous tracker so I only talk about it when there’s a potential major change - now it works during London-produced NC hours, including generic newscasts and UK opt-outs, between 0700 and 2300. BBC1 bulletins and Newsnight simulcasts, Washington and Singapore hours don’t use it. This new format is in effect after all London-produced NC newscasts moving to C.
This appears to be the pattern indeed, good spot! However, I'm not sure you can link it to the NC move to Studio C, which happened on April 24.
Working ticker was not seen much until May, and even during the last week London-produced daytime hours sometimes had a static ticker (e.g. May 2nd: 5pm hour, The Context)

UPD. Well, right now, May 9th, 1400 UKT hour, the ticker is again static on the UK feed for some reason despite it being a London-produced NC hour with no UK opt-outs.
Sometimes they just forget to enable it I think - apparently London staff now activate the ticker manually, DC and Singapore don’t use it at all.

It’s changed on 24 April with a new format - manually updated texts, instead of the titles automatically grabbed from the BBC News website, as what we saw when they forgot to deactivate it during the first three weeks. Then the BREAKING title was back on the following day for Joe Biden’s 2024 bid.

I know it’s meaningless to constantly talk about the ticker which we all know it’s unused so I just mentioned it after noticed there’re changes on headline texts - now I think it’s safe to say this is the new format.

Whoops!

[-] The following 1 user Likes andy29's post:
  • Former Member 406

After the news involving Donald Trump, the UK feed has decided to stick with World News America - which means no crashing into Newsnight. If only they did this every night instead of the current situation at the end of News at Ten...

(09-05-2023, 10:35 PM)newsdesk Wrote:  After the news involving Donald Trump, the UK feed has decided to stick with World News America - which means no crashing into Newsnight. If only they did this every night instead of the current situation at the end of News at Ten...

I thought the same initially, but wasn’t it because BBC1 billetin started at 2210 after Eurovision?

I flicked over at about 2227 and the weather was wrapping up - lots of trailers and the countdown-free countdown needed until Newsnight started.

EDIT - WNA scheduled for Thursday too, presumably for the same reason.

Sophie Raworth on the Ten just started that Newsnight was "just getting underway" over on BBC2, despite the fact it has been on for 15 minutes due to the late start owing to Eurovision.