BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(14-05-2023, 06:03 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Has Stephen Sackur been on since the merger? He features quite prominently in the countdown so bit surprised I haven’t seen him.

N.B. I know this is an extremely boring question but really needed to ask 🙈

He’s continued to present Hardtalk but I haven’t seen him on the News Channel since the merger.
[-] The following 7 users Like AJB39's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, oscillon, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Rolling News, UTVLifer

A reminder that presenter rota discussion is not permitted on Pres Café. 

A number of recent posts have been removed.

Most people that frequent this forum will have an awareness that some new faces are popping up as presenters on BBC News and indeed some presenters more familiar to BBC World News viewers are presenting domestic bulletins.

However, we do not need a running commentary.

The 1 is in Studio B today. Finally!  Big Grin

I couldn't quite understand why it remained in E.
[-] The following 6 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, James, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(15-05-2023, 01:05 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The 1 is in Studio B today. Finally!  Big Grin

Did the London lunchtime regional news also come from E, or did that still come from D?

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

Keith Wrote:Did the London lunchtime regional news also come from E, or did that still come from D?
Strangely it came from D. You'd think with the BBC being so desperate to save money they would've mothballed D and C/E so they'd in theory be saving money by only running two news studios. I guess over time that may happen, but it all seems far too drawn out.
[-] The following 7 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Former Member 406, James, Quantum+83, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(15-05-2023, 01:53 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  
Keith Wrote:Did the London lunchtime regional news also come from E, or did that still come from D?
Strangely it came from D. You'd think with the BBC being so desperate to save money they would've mothballed D and C/E so they'd in theory be saving money by only running two news studios. I guess over time that may happen, but it all seems far too drawn out.
D being in another fire zone is probably a good reason to keep it active, as a redundancy in case output from C or B needed to relocate. Presumably the London lunchtime crew is the same as either the Breakfast or 6:30 programme, so combining it with the News at One might not result in cost savings?

I wonder if the One and weekends are staying in B long term, or if they’ll return to C or E once the latter is back in use? Is it more expensive to use B than C/E, as if so that might explain why E has continued to be used while still available?
[-] The following 1 user Likes House's post:
  • chrisherald

House Wrote:D being in another fire zone is probably a good reason to keep it active, as a redundancy in case output from C or B needed to relocate. Presumably the London lunchtime crew is the same as either the Breakfast or 6:30 programme, so combining it with the News at One might not result in cost savings?
I wonder if the One and weekends are staying in B long term, or if they’ll return to C or E once the latter is back in use? Is it more expensive to use B than C/E, as if so that might explain why E has continued to be used while still available?
Good point about D being in a separate fire zone, I always seem to forget that, although has it ever actually been used for that purpose?

I initially thought that Studio B would be more expensive to operate than C/E, but the BBC said B required less power. I suspect the One moving so late is down to a mix of who produced it and the usual BBC inconsistency.
[-] The following 3 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(15-05-2023, 03:29 PM)House Wrote:  
(15-05-2023, 01:53 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  Strangely it came from D. You'd think with the BBC being so desperate to save money they would've mothballed D and C/E so they'd in theory be saving money by only running two news studios. I guess over time that may happen, but it all seems far too drawn out.
D being in another fire zone is probably a good reason to keep it active, as a redundancy in case output from C or B needed to relocate. Presumably the London lunchtime crew is the same as either the Breakfast or 6:30 programme, so combining it with the News at One might not result in cost savings?

At weekends do the BBC One national news and London news bulletins share studio and/or presenter? Given that the regional news bulletins are only about 5 minutes long it would arguably make some sense to share studio, and possibly also presenter. I'd have thought they might use D at weekends if they didn't want to power up B for whatever reason.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(15-05-2023, 01:05 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The 1 is in Studio B today. Finally!  Big Grin

It looks all the better for it too!

Plus I'm pretty sure it was Ben Brown's first bulletin from B?
[-] The following 2 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, Reith85

Do we know if this is a permanent move into B for the One? It's come from B before, only to go back into E the next day.

If it is a permanent move into B, surely that's the end of E for the time being, whilst presumably the re-fit of it starts. I can't see E being kept going as an on-air studio just for 5 short weekend BBC 1 bulletins.