BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Keith Wrote:
Radio_man Wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed already, I'm not monitoring this thread as much as I was.
What is the point in Nicky Campbell's phone-in going out on the UK feed, when they so often need to cut away for breaking or developing news? 9 - 11am is a busy time in the UK news day for developing political and agenda setting stories, shown by how often they need to cut away from the phone-in to cover these stories. We're going to be seeing a lot more of this over the next 12 - 18 months depending on when the UK general election is. Yet someone came up with the novel idea to broadcast a radio phone-in on a TV news channel during this time?
Why not make the 9am - 12pm slot UK leaning, presented by one of the previous NC presenters who have disappeared off our screens since 2 April?

I didn't realise this until recently, but now on Wednesdays, UK viewers actually don't get to see any actual news coverage from the new channel until 2pm!
There's simulcasting that's adds value, and then there's simulcasting just for the sake of simulcasting, which is what happens on Wednesday mornings when there's no breaking or developing news. 
I imagine the short answer is along the lines of there being a quote for 'UK opt-out hours'.  The simulcasts of Nicky Campbell and Wednesday's Politics Live presumably count towards this.

Which is a complete farce of a quota. Another way of referring to it would be 'UK limit content hours' because even though there is live rolling news on air the BBC decides that as a UK viewer you're not allowed to see it and blocks it out with a news related programme that's also being broadcast at the same time on another channel. Who exactly is the viewer that only has access to the UK feed of BBC News and not BBC One, Two or iPlayer that the 'UK opt-out hours' are seemingly for?

As a UK viewer I could have access to both Campbell/Politics live/Newsnight/Main bulletins and rolling news coverage with an international focus, arguably an upgrade in some ways on the previous set up, yet I'm not allowed. It makes no sense whatsoever.
[-] The following 8 users Like thomalex's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, ilsondan15, LargelyALurker, Radio_man, Roger Darthwell

The BBC Verified logo looks nice but surprised new shows are incoming as thought part of the plan of this rebrand was to move more towards a centralised BBC News brand.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(17-05-2023, 01:10 PM)thomalex Wrote:  
Keith Wrote:I imagine the short answer is along the lines of there being a quote for 'UK opt-out hours'.  The simulcasts of Nicky Campbell and Wednesday's Politics Live presumably count towards this.

Which is a complete farce of a quota. Another way of referring to it would be 'UK limit content hours' because even though there is live rolling news on air the BBC decides that as a UK viewer you're not allowed to see it and blocks it out with a news related programme that's also being broadcast at the same time on another channel. Who exactly is the viewer that only has access to the UK feed of BBC News and not BBC One, Two or iPlayer that the 'UK opt-out hours' are seemingly for?

As a UK viewer I could have access to both Campbell/Politics live/Newsnight/Main bulletins and rolling news coverage with an international focus, arguably an upgrade in some ways on the previous set up, yet I'm not allowed. It makes no sense whatsoever.
It makes a mockery of the new channel for UK viewers. As I predicted in March, it's become a channel for simulcasts of all existing domestic news & current affairs programmes from other channels, with the global news channel filling the gaps. The only program yet to be simulcast is Question Time, which no doubt will happen eventually.

Genuinely, what's the point of this new channel for UK viewers? It's neither a full UK news service, nor a full global news service. And when questioned about the simulcasts that deny us in the UK the chance to get a full 24/7 news channel, we're told "oh well, it's premium, UK-facing content" - yes, that any UK viewer can watch elsewhere.
[-] The following 6 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

Wow, so London chief presenters are at last getting branding of their shows back!

(17-05-2023, 11:32 AM)Frances Wrote:  I guess Verified Live is made by the new BBC Verify team…

www.bbc.co.uk 

I think it is just a name for Matthew's show, in the description it just says
Quote:Matthew Amroliwala presents all the latest global and UK news, live from London.

And it all starts next Monday!

The new shows seem to be launching on Mon 22 May aswell.
[-] The following 2 users Like lepeterrr's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990

"BBC Verified" sounds like yet another example of W1A predicting the future!
[-] The following 12 users Like Axolotl's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, DeMarkay, Independent, London Lite, Quantum+83, Radio_man, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer, xlalonce

Radio_man Wrote:
thomalex Wrote:Which is a complete farce of a quota. Another way of referring to it would be 'UK limit content hours' because even though there is live rolling news on air the BBC decides that as a UK viewer you're not allowed to see it and blocks it out with a news related programme that's also being broadcast at the same time on another channel. Who exactly is the viewer that only has access to the UK feed of BBC News and not BBC One, Two or iPlayer that the 'UK opt-out hours' are seemingly for?

It makes a mockery of the new channel for UK viewers. As I predicted in March, it's become a channel for simulcasts of all existing domestic news & current affairs programmes from other channels, with the global news channel filling the gaps. The only program yet to be simulcast is Question Time, which no doubt will happen eventually.

Genuinely, what's the point of this new channel for UK viewers? It's neither a full UK news service, nor a full global news service. And when questioned about the simulcasts that deny us in the UK the chance to get a full 24/7 news channel, we're told "oh well, it's premium, UK-facing content" - yes, that any UK viewer can watch elsewhere.

Exactly. Another way of looking at it is the News channel is shut down for UK viewers for several hours a day. Hopefully the penny finally drops at some point that UK viewers are being short changed here. Given what was 'World' news has had an editorial shift to feature more UK content what on earth is the point if we can't even see it for large blocks during the day.
[-] The following 5 users Like thomalex's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, ilsondan15, Radio_man

Considering they're happy to have Asia focused hours and American focused hours surely it's not too much of an ask to have some UK focused hours.

Indeed thinking of it as a global channel that likely includes international travellers, especially business travellers, as a key target audience it's odd not to try and appeal to them when they're in the UK and Europe too.
[-] The following 7 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, ilsondan15, Independent, Spencer, UTVLifer

(17-05-2023, 01:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The BBC Verified logo looks nice but surprised new shows are incoming as thought part of the plan of this rebrand was to move more towards a centralised BBC News brand.

I think the branding of the shows will be quite loose, but the whole point of the “BBC News brand” since the relaunch is that they are trusted and verifiable. Everything we see now is pretty much an extension of the Ros Atkins explainers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • chrisherald

Interesting to see BBC News crashing into the weather to cover Kier Starmer's speech, interesting 'Breaking' bumper made a rather awkward crash a bit more bearable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes whistlerpro's post:
  • chrisherald