BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Not quite sure what that Top of the Hour sequence was for tonight's Weekend News but it was a complete mess.

Short titles, with the newsroom pan and out of sync music.

(20-05-2023, 10:08 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  We always knew the BBC like to do things gradually, but they've just opened tonight's late bulletin with the titles they usually use when in Studio B, despite still coming from E.

Maybe in a few weeks the Saturday late bulletin will actually be coming from B...

Looked a complete mess as they also used the titles with the globe lurch and wrong frame rate.
[-] The following 4 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, oscillon, Rolling News

(20-05-2023, 08:04 PM)James2001 Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 08:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It's as if one channel serving both audiences doesn't work!

Some people will get incredibly angry at you for suggesting that Tongue

It's true through isn't it? The Merger has NOT worked and no amount of branding programming (including the new ones from Monday) will change that fact until both channels are demerged.
[-] The following 3 users Like News76's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, interestednovice

I think the priorities displayed by BBC News today have demonstrated a continued downward trend. It's actually beyond embarrassing.

Other channels are leading with:

[*]G7 Summit
[*]Arab League Summit to which Syria have been invited for first time in years
[*]Ukraine and Sudan wars
[*]Italian floods
[*]Asylum seekers arriving in Greece in boats dragged back out to sea

Yet the BBC's international news channel leads with a bloke leaving a daytime TV programme. Confused

I can only presume that the running order was decided by the Editorial team playing a game of 'spin the bottle' after they'd drunk the contents.
[-] The following 12 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, justinh, Kojak, LargelyALurker, Quantum+83, SuperSajuuk, TVFan, UTVLifer

(20-05-2023, 10:14 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I think the priorities displayed by BBC News today have demonstrated a continued downward trend. It's actually beyond embarrassing.

[*]G7 Summit
[*]Italian floods
[*]Greek Asylum seekers arriving in boats dragged back out to sea

Yet the BBC's international news channel leads with a bloke leaving a daytime TV programme. Confused

I can only presume that the running order was decided by the Editorial team playing a game of 'spin the bottle'.

And a presenter on "the other side" (as it was known when it was the only other side.   Has he done anything for the Beeb since he came out of the broom cupboard?

(20-05-2023, 09:37 PM)Independent Wrote:  Starting with that ITV story is terrible for a global audience and probably for the UK audience too. The second story was Manchester United (though a long time ago Premier League stories did rise to the top on BBC World but I still think there's little justification for sports taking priority over more serious stories). It's strange how a party that wants to break up a part of your country leading in elections is considered to be a story near the end of a bulletin while a TV host on a competing channel leaving one of their shows is the top story. They do this while the G7 summit and China is trying to solidify its presence in Central Asia by hosting its own summit. With the latter, there wasn't much coverage on the BBC despite being told about the rise of China and why it's important to be aware of the global order changing in the next few decades. Huh

I think elections taking priority over showbiz, celebrity and sports topics is something a public broadcaster should do. Even local elections for global audiences are more newsworthy than some TV host on a channel that's restricted to the UK. Very poor form from the BBC though not surprising based on the last few years. From "Putting News First" to "Putting News Last". Sad to see how the BBC has fallen. Sad
What's Manchester United got to do with being a top news story on the day Manchester City became Premier League champions?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scratch_Perry's post:
  • Independent

(20-05-2023, 10:22 PM)woodnorton Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 10:14 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I think the priorities displayed by BBC News today have demonstrated a continued downward trend. It's actually beyond embarrassing.

[*]G7 Summit
[*]Italian floods
[*]Greek Asylum seekers arriving in boats dragged back out to sea

I can only presume that the running order was decided by the Editorial team playing a game of 'spin the bottle'.

And a presenter on "the other side" (as it was known when it was the only other side.   Has he done anything for the Beeb since he came out of the broom cupboard?
Winning Lines and Test the Nation come to mind.

I get the feeling some at BBC News either wish they were a tabloid, or used to work at a tabloid so can’t shake it off, hence you often get stories that will generate clicks

Entertainment stories getting undue prominence, clickbait stories online, clipping up arguments from debate shows to make them go viral

Seems to be a policy of the BBC aware losing ground with younger audiences so if you can’t beat them join them.
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, TVFan

Why is BBC News wasting screen time and its lead website story on the downmarket tabloid trash that is ITV Daytime?

I do think it warranted the lead domestically yesterday - easy to pass it off as a showbiz story but really it's a media story and arguably more about the press than TV - not that the reporting on it reflects that.

An international audience will include those interested in the media internationally too - so some would be aware of the story and those involved in it, but agree it's not really a top story internationally.

If this merged arrangement is going to work I think they need to look at alternating priorities every hour so the UK is the higher priority one hour and world the next. That could actually keep the channel feeling fresher rather than repeating the same content hour after hour - even if it is the same content in a different order.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, Jayesyn, Jeff, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Do we think with the launch of the set programmes each hour from
Tomorrow the globe title will more or less disappear and we go done the route of the context where it’s countdown then context titles ?