BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(21-05-2023, 04:34 PM)strollfan Wrote:  
(21-05-2023, 03:56 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  By Singapore/US content before the merger, you mean Newsday and World News America?

Yes - and it's my understanding (although I'm not awake to watch it anymore) that the output from Singapore and the US are largely unchanged materially beyond timing alterations and the death of the Newsday name, although I'm more than happy to be corrected by somebody who does actually watch it.

The output from the US has increased - 2am-4:30am is done from DC since April 3rd

Singapore output on the World Feed lost one ABR bulletin (now they have 4 instead of previous 5), but three of those four are now on the UK feed as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • interestednovice

Forgive me if this is previously mentioned but it seems the generic bulletin's titles now have the animated BBC blocks, just like the One, Six and Ten... I believe it debuted on the 18th...
www.youtube.com 

UNFORTUNATELY they did NOT fix the rendering issues with their probably-999th revision of the globe titles. The titles are STILL blurry unlike the One, Six and Ten. How many more times do they have to revise the titles until everything is consistent???

Hell, just use this exact version of the titles from Saturday night's late bulletin and make the generic bulletins' intro align with the national bulletins:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, interestednovice, oscillon

(21-05-2023, 04:34 PM)strollfan Wrote:  
(21-05-2023, 03:56 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  By Singapore/US content before the merger, you mean Newsday and World News America?

Yes - and it's my understanding (although I'm not awake to watch it anymore) that the output from Singapore and the US are largely unchanged materially beyond timing alterations and the death of the Newsday name, although I'm more than happy to be corrected by somebody who does actually watch it.
The Newsday name was never dropped as part of the channel changes.
[-] The following 7 users Like Renap's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, interestednovice, oscillon, Quantum+83, Stuart, UTVLifer

Deborah Turness on the launch of BBC Verify

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

(21-05-2023, 03:06 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(21-05-2023, 01:15 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  I'm sorry if I ask this but......the 2 channels actually had separate overnights back in 1998? I didn't know that!
Yes, BBC News 24 produced its own overnight news programming to begin with - though BBC World did contribute World News segments at xx:15 during some hours. This was quickly deemed unnecessary and they merged 01:00-06:00 into the single BBC News overnight service from March 1998 (though with different back-half programming). Even during Europe Direct, which was the only simulcast programming at launch, World and News 24 opted-out for separate news bulletins.

Ironically of course, at that point overnights (when the channel was simulcast on BBC One) probably had the highest viewing figures of all.
[-] The following 2 users Like sigma421's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(22-05-2023, 10:33 AM)sigma421 Wrote:  
(21-05-2023, 03:06 PM)DTV Wrote:  Yes, BBC News 24 produced its own overnight news programming to begin with - though BBC World did contribute World News segments at xx:15 during some hours. This was quickly deemed unnecessary and they merged 01:00-06:00 into the single BBC News overnight service from March 1998 (though with different back-half programming). Even during Europe Direct, which was the only simulcast programming at launch, World and News 24 opted-out for separate news bulletins.
Ironically of course, at that point overnights (when the channel was simulcast on BBC One) probably had the highest viewing figures of all.
That is true, though I expect they were still quite limited and the highest figures for News 24 content would probably have been the weekend breakfast simulcasts, particularly Weekend 24 on BBC Two. I also suspect there were other considerations in merging the operations - particularly the cost of running two studios overnight, with two editorial and production teams - the redundancy particularly obvious when you consider the World team were already producing content for both channels.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

Although not long to go, the BBC put out a press release this morning offering 'details' on the three new programme formats - though, they are described in the vaguest possible terms...

Quote:The reactive and fast-paced BBC News Now with Lucy Hockings (12pm BST to 3pm BST) will cover several stories throughout the programme, using Lucy’s versatile and accessible style in an immersive format designed to move seamlessly from story to story.

The best of the BBC’s forensic analysis and journalism will be at the heart of Verified Live with Matthew Amroliwala (3pm BST to 6pm BST). Verified Live will delve into the key stories behind the headlines and work closely with BBC Verify, the BBC’s new verification hub and brand, which will use advanced editorial tools and techniques to investigate, source and verify information, video, and images.

The Daily Global with Yalda Hakim (6pm BST to 8pmBST) will be a deep-dive into some of the significant stories of the day, using Yalda’s trademark in-depth, news-making interviews combined with a unique global perspective.
Here's a link (because apparently you can't link in text any more): www.bbc.co.uk 

That moment when you realize that maybe keeping the 2008 globe titles forever is not such a bad idea.
[-] The following 13 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AndrewP, bai4943, bkman1990, Brekkie, chris, chrisherald, DTV, House, Juicy Joe, Matrix, MFTJA, oscillon, Universal_r

It looks like Maryam almost forgot at the start that it was a branded show now, acknowledging it only after the main titles, not in the headlines.

Looks weird, with generic BBC News music and not much action in the titles...
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • interestednovice

And the PowerPoint vibes continue. Sigh.

Otherwise appears to be much the same format as before, which was probably to be expected.
[-] The following 4 users Like House's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, Matrix