BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Well those hoping for anything special will be disappointed - aside from a particularly unimpressive Gallery-esque sting, there is nothing that distinguishes BBC News Now from what was there last week. Same music, same presentation, even same branding in the studio.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, Jayesyn, Kojak

[Image: cf7a4906516dab19eae8f5eedcf8e79d.jpg]
“BBC News News Now with Maryam Moshiri”
[-] The following 2 users Like ALV's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(22-05-2023, 12:06 PM)ALV Wrote:  [Image: cf7a4906516dab19eae8f5eedcf8e79d.jpg]
“BBC News News Now with Maryam Moshiri”
I just feel this is just naming things from naming sake. At least with Afternoon Live etc the presentation and programme was actually distinguishable. This also disjoints and dilutes the brand even more on screen in terms of identity.

If you're going to do this sort of thing at least go to the effort of putting some branding on the OTS screens and catwalk at the TOTH. There's also no show slug on the black bar above the ticker.

The whole BBC News look is a complete shambles at the moment and is experiencing something of an identity crisis. For example, Reith Serif continues on the lower thirds, a font which has now been largely dropped from most title sequences, butchered 15 year old LN titles which are *still* being tinkered with and now these new programme titles. 

Visually, I feel they need to completely wipe the slate clean and start with something fresh, reusing and rehashing elements of previous looks, often done badly, old music, with new elements put in has led to what we now see on screen. It all just feels 'gaffer tape taping over the cracks'.

To me it seems no one is overseeing the 'look' of the channel. Journalism wise, you can't fault the reporting, but branding wise - its an abomination.
[-] The following 9 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, Juicy Joe, Kojak, LDN, Roger Darthwell

Really like the News Now titles. They work perfectly with the music. Perhaps just one more pulse in the rings after form up to match with the pips before fading to the studio and it would be perfect.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(22-05-2023, 12:06 PM)ALV Wrote:  “BBC News News Now with Maryam Moshiri”

don't you mean “BBC News Now with Maryam Moshiri News” ? Tongue

in all seriousness though, these titles feel very basic...

I know it's easier said than done financially, but the BBC really should have gotten an agency in, rather than these poor attempts at these new cheap titles, and the 15 year old tired titles on the other end.
[-] The following 9 users Like Michael Power's post:
  • AndrewP, chaose, chrisherald, House, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, LDN, Stuart, xlalonce

They look to me like something that might have been designed in the mocks gallery over on the old blue place

Those descriptions of each show in the press release above are pure W1A and in terms of the 1st and 3rd show basically describe what the News Channel should be all the time
[-] The following 8 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, House, interestednovice, Jayesyn, Jeff, Kojak, Roger Darthwell

(22-05-2023, 02:28 PM)Michael Power Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 12:06 PM)ALV Wrote:  “BBC News News Now with Maryam Moshiri”

don't you mean “BBC News Now with Maryam Moshiri News” ? Tongue

Indeed. I like the Chameleon look for channel presentation on idents, trails, menus etc. but something doesn't quite work for me when it's used by News for opening titles.

Verified Live also disappointingly using the usual BBC News music with no changed to the studio screens or lighting at all.

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy

As expected, Verified Live uses the generic theme... nothing changes in terms of studio graphics...
[Image: 60dc4328fd4f36fbba95ab6eb602aa02-png.jpg]
[Image: 41af82ce990930685476afc36d3158dd.png]
[-] The following 8 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, LDN, oscillon

Disappointed gutted really set my expectations too high this is terrible.
[-] The following 13 users Like harshy's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, freeaxe, Independent, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, mouseboy33, oscillon, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, SuperSajuuk