BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I think someone got a dodgy version of Spirograph last Christmas . . . Confused

[-] The following 8 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, chris, chrisherald, Independent, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, Will

(22-05-2023, 11:11 PM)Independent Wrote:  Since Tanya Beckett and branded programming have been mentioned, here's a how branded shows on BBC World News used to work:
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
Could have used a better name but a very strong bulletin with news as a priority:
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 

I particularly liked the GMT theme (and the name is pretty clever). Something about it reflected the seriousness and more particularly the weight of the news in the world.
[-] The following 6 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Frances, Independent, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Meanwhile somebody forgot to update background in C at 8pm, so The Context began like this
[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(22-05-2023, 11:24 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I particularly liked the GMT theme (and the name is pretty clever). Something about it reflected the seriousness and more particularly the weight of the news in the world.
That February 2010 relaunch was overall very strong - a little bit of schedule congestion, but each of the programmes had its own style, focus and an actual identity of its own. If you're going down the predominantly branded route, that's how you do it.

But I absolutely agree that GMT was the standout. As I think I've said before, it really was the peak of BBC branded news programmes - as close to the platonic ideal as they're likely to get. A strong name; the branding was distinct, but still clearly BBC; usually a very strong balance of stories; and an a overall tight well-paced format that covered a good deal of stories, with decent levels of analysis on the key ones. Plus, though actually carried over from WNT, I did always like George's intro line - a really smooth segue from welcomes into the lead story and much better than the clunky 'we'll be...' they use at the minute.
[-] The following 9 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, Independent, Jeff, Quantum+83, SomeRandomStuff, UTVLifer

Our general disappointment at the presentation of these new programmes is pretty much universal. Strangely some think that these are place-holder graphics and studio setups. If so then my next question is why launch it? If the graphics, music and studios are not ready. Why couldnt they carry on just doing regular newscasts every other halfhour or so until everything was in place? Instead of wasting funds and alienating your potential audience by launch a "un-cooked" half-hearted attempt at the supposed final product?

Seems to me with the relaunch of BBC News. The big new fancy studio for the domestic newscasts and then merger of the domestic and international channel. Why not just go all in and refresh everything. Yeah keep the china red colour. But since they are creating new graphics anyway (Chameleon yada yada yada).....Then just re-do it all. Refresh everything. Such a wasted opportunity to say here is the new freshed, updated, slimmer, youthful BBC News for 2023. Instead everything done in such an off putting piece-meal fashion.

Think about the time they change from the Flags era to the cream and red era . When will a change like that ever happen again? I think they will keep doing the same thing over and over and over. People didnt turn off the BBC because it went from Flags to cream and red. Not sure why the BBC News presentation became so scared of change. I mean actual change, not just perpetual updating. The presentation is certainly different but its just slight changes nothing actual completely different from the last decade or so.
[-] The following 14 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, ginnyfan, Jeff, Juicy Joe, Kojak, Michael Power, Quantum+83, Stuart, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(22-05-2023, 11:38 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Meanwhile somebody forgot to update background in C at 8pm, so The Context began like this
And Ben Thompson looks quite narked about it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 406's post:
  • chrisherald

(22-05-2023, 11:38 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Meanwhile somebody forgot to update background in C at 8pm, so The Context began like this
Why does The Context have a show slug on the black bar but the other shows launched today don't? It was recoloured when The Context titles changed to red, so the team are aware of how to do it. Another inconsistency.
[-] The following 8 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, James, LDN, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

There definitely needs to be a major, major revamp as soon as funds allow. As DTV so rightly pointed out, we are in a proper Trigger’s broom situation vis-a-vis BBC News branding.

I do think the red and the beeps must stay in any rebrand - they have become so iconic and so closely associated with BBC News that ditching them would be akin to McDonald’s ditching the Golden Arches, or the IOC doing away with the coloured rings.

That doesn’t mean, however, that the BBC shouldn’t evolve their brand - they should! Even iconic brands like the aforementioned are updated from time to time. A perfect example of this is Pepsi, which has used the red, white and blue circle as its logo for over 80 years, but has continually refreshed it over that time. The basic brand is always there, but it’s updated to keep with the times.

I actually think the dotted globe used for BBC Verify could form a really good basis for a rebrand. You could even adapt it for the different broadcast centres - have it animate from the UK/USA/Singapore, depending on where that particular bulletin is coming from. Have some different backgrounds/colour variations for different times of day (thinking more for network bulletins here). There’s a rebrand idea right there - can I have my fee, please?
[-] The following 8 users Like Kojak's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer, Worzel

It’s all a bit odd isn’t it.

While I rate the News Now titles (I must be the only one to see the link with the app refresh), I do think that Verify Live’s titles are horrible, and the Daily Global’s nondescript.

I also don’t get why there is no other difference - no slugs, no backgrounds, no other use of the branding but the titles, no lighting changes, and most important no difference to the content.

Personally I just don’t get why we have to have different slots at all. I’d be quite happy for it to be BBC News all day. At the end of the day whatever the programmes are called they’re all the same thing.

Sad that they are doing it because our precious benefactors around the world demand such nonsense (I really don’t know how we made television for 90 years without them).

It all seems a bit temporary. Perhaps it is just a holding refresh until a major rebrand?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 8 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, Juicy Joe, Kojak, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Well I was very excited two days ago because usually when we see branded programmes it is/was executed quite well, the content was tailored, the studio was themed, it had its own theme tune, it was really professional and sleek, what we saw yesterday though was no where near the previous high standards when it was bbc world news proper, they don’t even mention the programme strap on the lower thirds on these new branded shows, it really is terrible and sad to see.
[-] The following 7 users Like harshy's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Juicy Joe, Michael Power, Quantum+83, UTVLifer