BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

The perspective on the graphs of the screen behind Robert Cuffe on the News Channel right now is incredibly bizarre. Much better than it has been though, with the whole graph now visible.

[Image: Screenshot%202023-05-25%203_04_55%20PM.png]

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 6 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, LargelyALurker, Spencer, Stuart

(25-05-2023, 02:20 PM)simon Wrote:  
(25-05-2023, 01:58 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Didn't RTÉ News operate a similarly badly named entire channel until 2020?

And NBC operates a news channel called NBC News Now, which is available in the UK on satellite.
NBC's example is alliterative, though, so it kind of works.
[-] The following 3 users Like Studio7's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Jayesyn

(25-05-2023, 01:58 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I am not a fan of  'BBC News Now' as a programme brand, as it implies that the rest of your coverage is from "a week last Thursday".

Don’t be silly, it doesn’t imply that at all. 

Did ‘Live with Lucy Hockings’ imply that the rest of their programming was prerecorded?
[-] The following 9 users Like all new phil's post:
  • AndrewP, cando, Critique, LDN, Quantum+83, scottishtv, strollfan, Transmission, TVFan

(25-05-2023, 09:31 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(25-05-2023, 01:58 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I am not a fan of  'BBC News Now' as a programme brand, as it implies that the rest of your coverage is from "a week last Thursday".

Did ‘Live with Lucy Hockings’ imply that the rest of their programming was prerecorded?
Obviously not Rolleyes it's just such a bland name. Probably only picked because it was sort of alliterative. You could say the same about 'Live with Lucy Hockings' as well, to be fair.
[-] The following 2 users Like Studio7's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

LWLH, Impact and Global had such dynamic music and intros. News Now, Verified Live and Daily Global you would only even notice they existed if you was looking at the screen during the opening titles.
[-] The following 9 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AIB01WB, alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, chrisherald, interestednovice, Quantum+83, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(25-05-2023, 10:41 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  LWLH, Impact and Global had such dynamic music and intros. News Now, Verified Live and Daily Global you would only even notice they existed if you was looking at the screen during the opening titles.
'The Daily Global' really is a terrible name. The Daily Global what?! The Daily Global Update? The Daily Global Overview? The Daily Global Report? The Daily Global Robbery? What was wrong with World News Today or The World? Or even just Global? Seems like change for the sake of it.

(25-05-2023, 07:38 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  
(25-05-2023, 02:20 PM)simon Wrote:  And NBC operates a news channel called NBC News Now, which is available in the UK on satellite.
NBC's example is alliterative, though, so it kind of works.

Yeah I think it's a reasonably good name for their channel. I don't really dislike BBC News Now as a name either, it's just pretty average. Neither good nor bad.

It just feels weird to call the show BBC News Now when NBC have an entire channel with the same name available in both the UK and US (where the BBC show is broadcast). And I doubt NBC are particularly happy with it. (I assume there's no intellectual property issue as you would hope the BBC have had it fully lawyered...)
[-] The following 2 users Like simon's post:
  • interestednovice, Studio7

(25-05-2023, 09:31 PM)all new phil Wrote:  

No, it stated clearly that it was presented by Lucy Hockings, implying that other programmes had different presenters.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice, matthew

(25-05-2023, 10:45 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  
(25-05-2023, 10:41 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  LWLH, Impact and Global had such dynamic music and intros. News Now, Verified Live and Daily Global you would only even notice they existed if you was looking at the screen during the opening titles.
'The Daily Global' really is a terrible name. The Daily Global what?! The Daily Global Update? The Daily Global Overview? The Daily Global Report? The Daily Global Robbery? What was wrong with World News Today or The World? Or even just Global? Seems like change for the sake of it.
The Daily Global sounds like a poor copy of Metropolis's Daily Planet newspaper...
[-] The following 4 users Like cityprod's post:
  • Quantum+83, Stuart, Studio7, UTVLifer

cityprod Wrote:
Studio7 Wrote:'The Daily Global' really is a terrible name. The Daily Global what?! The Daily Global Update? The Daily Global Overview? The Daily Global Report? The Daily Global Robbery? What was wrong with World News Today or The World? Or even just Global? Seems like change for the sake of it.
The Daily Global sounds like a poor copy of Metropolis's Daily Planet newspaper...

Also is ‘The Daily Global’ any more  ‘global’ than the rest of the channel’s output? Isn’t it all world focussed now?

Is ‘BBC News Now’ realistically any more ‘Now’ than other shows?
[-] The following 7 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, James, Quantum+83, Stuart, xlalonce