BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(29-05-2023, 02:27 PM)DTV Wrote:  As for the UK expat audience, there is no exact figure but a BBC response to a select committee in 2006 states: "Ex-patriot British are a constituent part of the BBC World audience. However, they are not the primary focus of the channel, and make up a very small proportion of the channel's total audience." And that was when the channel's overall audience was about half of what it is now.
Exactly. VERY broad generalisation here, but the general audience of these world news channels tends to be well-heeled, upwardly-mobile types, many of whom will travel for business. Hence the infamous CNN International adverts in the 90s ("available in these hotels worldwide") which were so brilliantly lampooned by The Day Today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Studio7's post:
  • interestednovice

Phillip Schofield is definitely a news story — and it’s one people are interested in.

I get the arguments of whether it should lead a global news channel, but as a journalist, no problems at all with leading on it/live blogging it for a domestic audience.

(It was my lead on some BBC local radio bulletins this morning!)
[-] The following 2 users Like Connews's post:
  • Brekkie, Jeff

This headline makes it looks like the U.K. has a TV scandal every day
[-] The following 10 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, ilsondan15, Independent, interestednovice, LDN, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(29-05-2023, 03:04 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  This headline makes it looks like the U.K. has a TV scandal every day
It does - this channel.  Big Grin

(29-05-2023, 03:04 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  This headline makes it looks like the U.K. has a TV scandal every day

Not far off.
[-] The following 6 users Like James2001's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, Rolling News

(29-05-2023, 02:25 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  Today it was announced that long-serving Australian breakfast show host David Koch is to step down from his job presenting Channel 7's Sunrise, after 21 years. A similar story to Pip Schofield, perhaps, except Kochie (as he's known) isn't leaving under a cloud. I thought I'd see if the ABC were giving that story the prominence that BBC News gave Schofield. No mention at all on their news channel, and it's way down the website's homepage. And the ABC's news channel is domestically-focused!

Obviously reporting on him leaving/being let go by ITV is worth doing, given what transpired about his behaviour. But a live blog of the first This Morning after? Reporting on his Instagram story? Talk silly! I don't think even ITV News at their tabloid-worst in 2007 would have gone that far.
One was a somewhat expected departure, comparable perhaps to Ken Bruce leaving Radio 2 which I think was live blogged as well, though didn't lead bulletins.

Personally media news is very high on the agenda in terms of categories of news I'm interested and this is without doubt the biggest media story in years with a nice bit of juicy scandal on the side.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AverageOrangeTurnip, Happy2001, Quantum+83, Transmission

I foolishly believed that the merger of World & Domestic would lead to an improved product in the UK. That serious world news would win out over tabloid uk gossip & relentless politics. More fool me.
[-] The following 7 users Like LondonViewer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, LargelyALurker, London Lite, UTVLifer

(29-05-2023, 01:18 PM)mccanmat Wrote:  Who’s the presenter who looks like Penn from Penn and Teller?

That'll be David Harper, who can often be found doing freelance work for BBC World Service and LBC News.

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 3 users Like BBI45's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83, RhysJR

Yalda giving a cracking interview on BBC News right now around the Turkish elections.

**This** is what she should be doing, not discussing the ups and downs of British daytime TV.

One assumes these extended interviews are a defining feature of ‘The Daily Global’ - they really should make a bigger deal of it.
[-] The following 11 users Like JamesG's post:
  • bkman1990, Frances, ginnyfan, harshy, interestednovice, Jeff, Moz, Quantum+83, Reith85, Studio7, UTVLifer

Which studio is this?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 4 users Like Moz's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Quantum+83