BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(03-06-2023, 06:19 AM)Pips2022 Wrote:  I don’t want to make a boring comment about newsreader attire, but allowing such casual dress downgrades the feed even further.  It just looks bargain basement in every single way
Remember they said they wanted presenters to dress down and look less formal. But what I think it’s important here is that someone with a foreign accent got to present an hour of news. This is great in terms of diversity and on screen representation. One in six people living in the UK were born abroad. They pay the TV licence, but we rarely see them on screen. Well done to whoever asked him to present the bulletin.
[-] The following 8 users Like lobster's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, Quantum+83, Reith85, SlimyTrain, Stuart, TVFan

The BBC is starting to receive criticism for the prominent and blanket coverage of the Schofield story leading to other stories being covered less
twitter.com 
[-] The following 11 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent, JJJJ, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Studio7, thomash79, UTVLifer

(03-06-2023, 09:59 AM)Andrew Wrote:  The BBC is starting to receive criticism for the prominent and blanket coverage of the Schofield story leading to other stories being covered less
twitter.com 

I was surprised by how much attention the Schofield story got at the start of the Ten last night. Especially considering what had happened in India and with Boris & the Covid inquiry.
[-] The following 5 users Like NickyBoy's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, lobster, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

The media love a media story though. I think it was fine to lead with it yesterday when they had more than gossip to run with, and to be fair I tuned in at about five past and they were just about wrapping it up and moving on. ITV though had led with the covid inquiry at Ten at least, with Schofield second in the running order.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Happy2001, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(03-06-2023, 09:36 AM)lobster Wrote:  Remember they said they wanted presenters to dress down and look less formal. But what I think it’s important here is that someone with a foreign accent got to present an hour of news. This is great in terms of diversity and on screen representation. One in six people living in the UK were born abroad. They pay the TV licence, but we rarely see them on screen. Well done to whoever asked him to present the bulletin.
There have been a couple of excellent articles about this by former Al Jazeera anchor Barbara Serra (who was the first non-native English speaker to present the news during her stint at Five). 

open.substack.com 

open.substack.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like Studio7's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Happy2001, lobster, Quantum+83, Reith85

(03-06-2023, 11:13 AM)Studio7 Wrote:  There have been a couple of excellent articles about this by former Al Jazeera anchor Barbara Serra (who was the first non-native English speaker to present the news during her stint at Five). 

open.substack.com 

open.substack.com 
Great articles, Studio7. That was exactly my point. Well done to Sergi.
[-] The following 4 users Like lobster's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Reith85, Studio7

(03-06-2023, 09:20 AM)Brekkie Wrote:   (though reportedly many of the UK faces are still on the payroll, just not being used) and instead having to use reporters and producers to do their job instead..
That is SO bizarre. I’d love to know what is going on there. I understand there is contract sorcery going on, but I wonder if there are also some internal politics involved with execs not wanting anyone associated with the old news channel? I think one or two BBC insiders have hinted Croxall and co are (WRONGLY, imo!) seen as ‘not good enough’.
[-] The following 4 users Like Studio7's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Have they backed themselves into a corner here with the over the top coverage of the Lineker non-story that it set a precedent being applied to Schofield?
[-] The following 5 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Had a week off work so could catch some of the morning output and I'm sorry to say, the 08.00 to 13.00 CET shifts are a mess. The mixture of former overnighters, interns & regionals on strike, is not cutting it.

Bringing back some familiar, experienced faces like Karin & Martine and giving them these 2 slots, would fix the issue.

(02-06-2023, 11:34 PM)RDJ Wrote:  We had the first presenting appearance this evening on the UK Feed of producer Sergi Forcada.
Seems like he never thought this would be possible due to his Spanish accent, but he achieved it today!

twitter.com 

What was the reason for there being a UK opt for an hour at 7pm last night? There wasn't any major UK breaking news story - please don't tell me it was for an hour of plugging the Schofield interview?
[-] The following 2 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald