BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Is the Nicola Sturgeon pushback just going out on the UK feed?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

A major UK story and all the BBC can offer is a QR code to link to their website? What a joke.
[-] The following 12 users Like James2001's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, benzj, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, itsrobert, Spencer, Stuart, SuperSajuuk, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(11-06-2023, 06:50 PM)James2001 Wrote:  A major UK story and all the BBC can offer is a QR code to link to their website? What a joke.

Didn't someone say that the reporting laws in Scotland for an arrest, speculation, can land broadcasters/journos in hot water moreso than in England? So perhaps makes sense to point to a website for a little more detail but not worth opting out when there isn't a lot to go on. 

Maybe now she has been released, an opt might be wise?
[-] The following 5 users Like news junkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, oscillon, Quantum+83, TJTSW

(11-06-2023, 06:54 PM)news junkie Wrote:  Didn't someone say that the reporting laws in Scotland for an arrest, speculation, can land broadcasters/journos in hot water moreso than in England? So perhaps makes sense to point to a website for a little more detail but not worth opting out when there isn't a lot to go on. 

Maybe now she has been released, an opt might be wise?
Yes, contempt laws in Scotland begin from arrest rather than just applying to the court case and no other information was really given by the police other than Sturgeon had been arrested so there's little really that can be said other than background to the case. Standard reaction talking heads would be unwise as the BBC would be liable for any speculation that breached the law.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, news junkie, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(11-06-2023, 03:14 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  Most of the English regions had the "programme recorded on Friday" message.

On that note, I think Politics North (Yorks & Lincs) managed to avoid that by doing a link at the start (presented from outside), mentioning the various resignations and the by-elections, and then they the rest of the programme including in studio discussions was able to go ahead as normal

Also I also note that they have a chair that matches the regional set sofa that they bring in to use for Politics North
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

Politics North West managed to get the resignations in.

(11-06-2023, 07:19 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Also I also note that they have a chair that matches the regional set sofa that they bring in to use for Politics North

East and West Midlands also have the chair for the presenter.
[-] The following 5 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

I believe North West is always live.

(10-06-2023, 02:01 AM)southern_boy Wrote:  I know that Sky News runs with what is still a much smaller on-air technical team than the BBC, and their output is pretty much spotless 99% of the time. A real shame to see what the BBC News channel has become.
Interesting. I would've assumed Sky would have the same number of staff as the BBC pre-merger or more post-merger because Sky was always seemed to be more "dynamic" and "flexible" (for a lack of better words) presentation-wise than the BBC. Is it the type of jobs that the BBC decided to eliminate or how the tasks were reorganized with fewer staff that would create the problems seen on the BBC?

(11-06-2023, 04:52 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  What even is this layout...

[Image: UYXzfA0.png]
Did they show the QR code on World too?

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 3 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(12-06-2023, 05:40 AM)Independent Wrote:  Interesting. I would've assumed Sky would have the same number of staff as the BBC pre-merger or more post-merger because Sky was always seemed to be more "dynamic" and "flexible" (for a lack of better words) presentation-wise than the BBC. Is it the type of jobs that the BBC decided to eliminate or how the tasks were reorganized with fewer staff that would create the problems seen on the BBC?

It's difficult to comment exactly as to why, but a major part will be that Sky News runs as it was designed. Since the move into Sky Studios, the automation systems along with editorial/technical staffing levels are running to design specifications. BBC News has gone from two distinct channels with staffing designed for that, to what seems like 1.5-ish channels with far less staffing. This isn't what NBH was designed for and budgets haven't allowed for proper technical changes for this new way of working. Yes, it is 'technically' feasible with the systems in-place, but not being designed from the-ground-up in this way, we see an awful lot of mistakes. 

Staff churn will also be a big cause. Publicly, most people are only aware of the journalist leaving. However, this level of turnover and redundancies has been seen across operational and engineering departments. I know a couple of departments where literally hundreds of years of experience was lost over a few months. This was always going to have an adverse affect on the output.

I hope the above makes some sense.
[-] The following 13 users Like southern_boy's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, bkman1990, bob, chrisherald, Happy2001, harshy, Independent, Juicy Joe, LargelyALurker, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, Worzel