BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(13-06-2023, 08:56 AM)LDN Wrote:  Breakfast finally broke the news after returning at the 0830 BOTH. 

[Image: notts-01.png]

[Image: notts-02.png]
Not trying to detract from what's happening in Nottingham, hence I'm posting in this thread, but these shots with the Breaking strap wouldn't look out of place in a 2005-8 style countdown if they ever wanted to get the pace of them back again...
If I remember rightly, it was Jane and Matthew who were on the countdown shot with the "Breaking News" strap?

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 3 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, xlalonce

(13-06-2023, 12:57 PM)Keith Wrote:  I wonder if during UK opts the News Channel could use a pushout(?) every 15 mins or so to show the headlines in text form on the right-hand side, with maybe an accompanying photos/graphic.  At the very least having the ticker display additional news headlines (preferably more than just 3 items) might help.  That way they could focuses on the one UK news story, whilst still providing some information about what else is happening in the UK and globally.

The voice of common sense and reason.  Smile

(...and you were close! It's a pushback.)
[-] The following 3 users Like LDN's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(13-06-2023, 12:47 PM)justinh Wrote:  Lots of hand-wringing on here over the months about how the UK opts don't provide the headlines in the same way that news channels traditionally do, but that's completely rational when you think about the fact that the bulk of the audience is watching online now.

More than ever, live news is only being consumed when something big happens - rather than as something you leave on, dip into briefly, or (even more rare) as appointment viewing. Most people watching the UK opt are doing so in a web browser or on an app. And they're doing so because they want to know about updates about Nottingham specifically. Far fewer are watching the output as a news *channel* so to speak.
I mean, is this actually true? Is there any data to back it up? People keep making sweeping statements about nearly all people watching on phones or online but never provide any actual evidence - especially as it negates the little four-screen data that is publicly available.

While it is true that audiences peak during certain news events, the idea that few watch the News channel as a TV channel isn't particularly credible as there is a clear baseline of viewing figures for each slot - with clear parts of the schedule (primarily evenings and certain parts of the weekend) when the audience is routinely higher. That wouldn't happen - particularly in those slots - if at least certain people weren't watching it as a traditional TV channel.
[-] The following 7 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Critique, Independent, LDN, Stuart, thePineapple

Daniel sandford, home affairs editor and Navtej Johal, midlands correspondent have both appeared on the news at One, live from Nottingham. Strangely, they haven’t appeared on the News channel’s live coverage all morning. They have relied on BBC radio Nottingham’s reporter since their coverage started.
[-] The following 5 users Like Chud's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, LDN, thePineapple

(13-06-2023, 01:15 PM)DTV Wrote:  I mean, is this actually true? Is there any data to back it up? People keep making sweeping statements about nearly all people watching on phones or online but never provide any actual evidence - especially as it negates the little four-screen data that is publicly available.
The people making those statements are from the demographic using those forms of media, not the main intended TV audience. That's the difference.
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(13-06-2023, 01:15 PM)YDTV Wrote:  I mean, is this actually true? Is there any data to back it up? People keep making sweeping statements about nearly all people watching on phones or online but never provide any actual evidence - especially as it negates the little four-screen data that is publicly available.

While it is true that audiences peak during certain news events, the idea that few watch the News channel as a TV channel isn't particularly credible as there is a clear baseline of viewing figures for each slot - with clear parts of the schedule (primarily evenings and certain parts of the weekend) when the audience is routinely higher. That wouldn't happen - particularly in those slots - if at least certain people weren't watching it as a traditional TV channel.
I have to agree with you DTV. I would often dip in and out of the channel through out the day to see what was going on. Whereas I rarely now do. I’ve found some of the opt out feeds almost painful to watch as they repeat the same bit of information. 

LND’s point about the lack of any other news during these opt outs is valid too. If you were to turn on the news during these times you’d be forgiven for thinking that absolutely nothing else was going on in the world. 

I also find the talk about the ticker and lower thirds changes being put in place because of the apparent number of people using their mobile and computers baffling. If I was sat in the garden and I thought id catch up with the news id use my phone. Not once did I ever look at the lower thirds and ticker and think I can’t read that. 

I believed it was only last year or the year before, that there was talk about would the traditional network bulletins on BBC One continue as people were wanting to access the news at a time which was convenient for them. The current set up blows this idea out the water as all we have are 1, 6 and 10 and a channel which if it decides to opt out covers no other stories.

I know someone will say well there is the website but if that’s the case then you could say that for everyone and could just shut the news channel down totally and just have people sat in little boxes all round NBH doing the hostage look feeds.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 5 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN, Quantum+83

(13-06-2023, 03:26 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I also find the talk about the ticker and lower thirds changes being put in place because of the apparent number of people using their mobile and computers baffling. If I was sat in the garden and I thought id catch up with the news id use my phone. Not once did I ever look at the lower thirds and ticker and think I can’t read that.
What percentage of TVL payers do you think watch BBC News main broadcasts on a mobile phone, seriously?

Furthermore, I can read lower thirds and a ticker on my phone! Why can't you? You do know you can turn it sideways, don't you?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • chrisherald

(13-06-2023, 03:39 PM)Stuart Wrote:  What percentage of TVL payers do you think watch BBC News main broadcasts on a mobile phone, seriously?

Furthermore, I can read lower thirds and a ticker on my phone! Why can't you? You do know you can turn it sideways, don't you?

That's quite a punchy post, considering ViridianFan didn't actually say they can't read the lower thirds on their phone. 

In fact, they said the exact opposite -- that they'd never had a problem reading the lower thirds and ticker on their phone: "Not once did I ever look at the lower thirds and ticker and think I can’t read that."
[-] The following 7 users Like LDN's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, Quantum+83, RhysJR, SuperSajuuk, ViridianFan

(13-06-2023, 03:39 PM)Stuart Wrote:  What percentage of TVL payers do you think watch BBC News main broadcasts on a mobile phone, seriously?

Read his post again.   He's saying what you're saying.  

Please send that final point to everycreator of square-o-vision content on social media teams - phones were literally designed for 16:9 content!   And it is ridiculous the industry has prioritised spectrum for viewing HD content on 6 inch screens over viewing HD content on 40, 50 or 60 inch HD TVs.

As for the content it seems another big UK story and another poor performance from BBC News.   Far too much seems to have been compromised in these changes and I'm not sure the breaking news team is even fit for purpose.    Yes, it's harsh on young up and coming journalists or those who may have cut their teeth more on the World side of the operation but BBC News has always traded on authority - and authority rightly or wrongly comes from trusted, familar faces.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, bkman1990, LDN, Quantum+83, SuperSajuuk, thePineapple, ViridianFan

BBC News since 16:00 has been completely graphic-less.

Update: they returned at 16:12... must've rebooted the system!
[-] The following 4 users Like JayCasey's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83