BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Having watched the News at Six tonight for the first time in a while, is the handover to the weather when the main presenter is standing at the video wall and weather presenter at the touchscreen area always that clunky?

Take today, Sophie Raworth turns awkwardly talking off camera to Ben Rich, who is also talking off camera to Sophie without a wide shot to show them apart.

It just looked very awkward as if they were talking to each other from across the street.
[-] The following 3 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

Regarding the news channel, it doesn’t really help that 3 of their 5 chief presenters are currently either out of action (which I know can’t be helped), or working abroad, with another one who doesn’t even have a fixed slot, making it look as though Matthew Amroliwala is the only one who turns up on a regular basis, with every other programme being filled by freelancers, reporters and producers!
[-] The following 11 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, ginnyfan, News76, Newsroom, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(21-06-2023, 09:26 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Regarding the news channel, it doesn’t really help that 3 of their 5 chief presenters are currently either out of action (which I know can’t be helped), or working abroad, with another one who doesn’t even have a fixed slot, making it look as though Matthew Amroliwala is the only one who turns up on a regular basis, with every other programme being filled by freelancers, reporters and producers!

This. If it is the case that Sally Bundock is remaining in the 5am slot permanently it is absolutely baffling why she rather than Maryam Moshiri wasn’t named as the 5th chief presenter. Also makes absolutely no sense that Ben Thompson sometimes presents the main news and world business report on the same day and sometimes does not and that when he does it’s sometimes in a slot that is within the business hours and is sometimes not. If it is possible for him to do so surely this should be happening every day (albeit not necessarily Ben) in order to cheaply fill a slot.
[-] The following 7 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Rolling News

(21-06-2023, 09:26 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Regarding the news channel, it doesn’t really help that 3 of their 5 chief presenters are currently either out of action (which I know can’t be helped), or working abroad, with another one who doesn’t even have a fixed slot, making it look as though Matthew Amroliwala is the only one who turns up on a regular basis, with every other programme being filled by freelancers, reporters and producers!

And the case for getting Martine, Annita, Geeta , Kasia and Karin back on air sooner rather than later grows by the week.
[-] The following 8 users Like News76's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, Alf Stewart, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, James, Quantum+83, Rolling News

Actually, Yalda is back in the UK, and even recorded a DTL interview with Zelensky from Studio E.

twitter.com 

Makes you wonder why she is still absent from what was supposed to be her show...
[-] The following 5 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AIB01WB, chrisherald, ginnyfan, Quantum+83, Rolling News

(21-06-2023, 08:31 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Having watched the News at Six tonight for the first time in a while, is the handover to the weather when the main presenter is standing at the video wall and weather presenter at the touchscreen area always that clunky?

Take today, Sophie Raworth turns awkwardly talking off camera to Ben Rich, who is also talking off camera to Sophie without a wide shot to show them apart.

It just looked very awkward as if they were talking to each other from across the street.
Rarely this happens from the video wall to the weather presenter. 99% of the time it’s from the desk to the weather so which is why   Because the distance is so far between the two areas that’s probably why there’s no wide shot also because London pres are preparing at the Tower too.
[-] The following 3 users Like harryb's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(21-06-2023, 02:32 AM)harshy Wrote:  Maybe i am in the minority view, well I think its great we see NickyS more then before the merger, I think he presents the analysis pieces quite well and showed how long that Boris Johnson statement was on the screen.

You know you’ve made it as a newsreading star when you’ve got NickyS stationery and key-rings on your desk! The man is a legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, Transmission

(21-06-2023, 09:44 PM)News76 Wrote:  And the case for getting Martine, Annita, Geeta , Kasia and Karin back on air sooner rather than later grows by the week.

Given the five you've mentioned are probably more familiar to world viewers than the world presenters we pretty much have now are to domestic viewers it makes it even more bonkers.
[-] The following 5 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Rolling News

I see that Newswatch is soliciting questions and comments for their next edition regarding the combined News Channel

twitter.com 
[-] The following 7 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, bkman1990, chrisherald, News76, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

Great thread on how they switch from BBC National News to BBC London
twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like gillw72's post:
  • chrisherald, Independent, Quantum+83