BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

He has only stated a new strap colour, I was actually thinking this may be for Sport, to bring the branding up to date with the current look, if it launches, I would expect that to be tomorrow.

(25-06-2023, 05:37 PM)South Wrote:  He has only stated a new strap colour, I was actually thinking this may be for Sport, to bring the branding up to date with the current look, if it launches, I would expect that to be tomorrow.
Doubt it's for sport, considering it's launching at 9am.

A new strap colour but the same flipper-that-isn't-a-flipper with bbc.co.uk/news displayed almost 24/7, no doubt.

(25-06-2023, 01:09 PM)simon Wrote:  This can include fact checking and OSINT, but that is a secondary task.
What does "OSINT" mean and/or stand for?

(25-06-2023, 05:54 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  What does "OSINT" mean and/or stand for?

Open source intelligence, apparently. That's the second time I've had to search for an acronym I've seen on this forum today.
[-] The following 6 users Like James's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Deejay, Former Member 406, Roger Darthwell, SlimyTrain

(25-06-2023, 05:54 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  What does "OSINT" mean and/or stand for?

As James said, open source intelligence. In a nutshell, using openly available information like images / video from social media, satellite imagery, etc to build a picture of what's going on.

For example, with what was going on in Russia in the last few days, OSINT played a major role in verifying what was going on. Images of the convoy could be geolocated based on roads/landscape features visible (compared against mapping, satellite imagery and Street View), and as it happened overnight approximate time could be ascertained by how far through sunrise it was, etc. Progress of the convoy through Russia as well as what equipment was in it could be verified.

It was possible to say with relative certainty that Wagner's claims were credible due to the volume of new, previously unseen imagery that all matched in terms of time of day, time of year, the same clearly identical vehicles between images.

There's a huge ongoing effort on social media to geolocate and verify images in conflict zones. For example:
twitter.com 

This is an example of the information that was gleaned during this weekend's events:
twitter.com 
[-] The following 8 users Like simon's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, James, matthieu1221, oscillon, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, thePineapple

(25-06-2023, 04:45 PM)Transmission Wrote:  New strap colour, hmm...

twitter.com 

No doubt that in a step to strengthen the BBC News brand, and in response to a viewer survey where 1% of viewers said they liked the red breaking news strap BBC News will launch a consistent bright red for all straps that can be read while viewers have their eyes shut.
[-] The following 6 users Like Daveuk's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, MFTJA, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, SlimyTrain

Perhaps we should have a new thread opening at 9am tomorrow - BBC News (June 2023 strap)

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 6 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Josh, Reith85, Rolling News

So are they just going to be changing one thing at a time? Like in 6 months they’ll change the colour of the flipper?
[-] The following 4 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald, Moz, Reith85

(25-06-2023, 10:23 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  So are they just going to be changing one thing at a time? Like in 6 months they’ll change the colour of the flipper?
That's not quite true. They've managed to keep tweaking the Chameleonised bodged 2008 globe titles on a regular basis since April. Wink
[-] The following 11 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Hemsright, oscillon, Rolling News, SlimyTrain, TJTSW, UTVLifer, Will, xlalonce