BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

What the channel needs (apart from sorting out the presentation) is a uk or uk news agenda program from 9-12, this is not in premium US hours and so could be achieved without additional resource and this time is when the UK news agenda is at its busiest.

(29-06-2023, 12:01 PM)Mjb Wrote:  What the channel needs (apart from sorting out the presentation) is a uk or uk news agenda program from 9-12, this is not in premium US hours and so could be achieved without additional resource and this time is when the UK news agenda is at its busiest.

They could call it GMT 😉
[-] The following 9 users Like Mjb's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Ma76, Quantum+83, QuinnTFP, Roger Darthwell, Tsigriwa

(29-06-2023, 11:17 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Meanwhile Nicky Campbell simulcast today lacked the bespoke aston

[Image: BBC-Nicky-noaston.png]

Alan Partridge would be proud. What an embarrassment.
[-] The following 6 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple, thomalex

I can't switch off from the fact I associate the red strap with breaking news.
[-] The following 9 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Aaron, ALV, bkman1990, James, Jayesyn, Jeff, Ma76, oscillon, Universal_r

(29-06-2023, 11:17 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Meanwhile Nicky Campbell simulcast today lacked the bespoke aston

[Image: BBC-Nicky-noaston.png]
Nicky looks dissapointed. Is he missing his slug which has slid off the screen? Or is he looking at the strap thinking... is this really breaking news?

At first glance I read that as BBC News down the drain.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Worzel's post:
  • TJTSW

Bit late on this one but a reminder that

"Mock-ups/recreations of logos, idents, programme titles/graphics and set designs are not permitted - and that includes discussion of mocks/recreations and posting links to mock/recreation content hosted elsewhere."

A number of posts discussing mocks have been removed from recent pages.
[-] The following 3 users Like Affogato's post:
  • London Lite, Moz, PatrZDZ

(29-06-2023, 12:01 PM)Mjb Wrote:  What the channel needs (apart from sorting out the presentation) is a uk or uk news agenda program from 9-12, this is not in premium US hours and so could be achieved without additional resource and this time is when the UK news agenda is at its busiest.

They could call it GMT 😉

I feel that's what will eventually happen, the penny must have dropped now with those in charge. If you're having to opt out to a UK feed more often than not, and need a studio set up with a presenter, you might as well just run a scheduled programme just for UK news. I'd also argue you might slot in 2 hours in the afternoon. On days with heavy domestic news you can opt out over the international hours, and if not you just stick to 3 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.

The move will essentially be back to two separate news channels, but with more shared programs with World than you had previously. I fail to see how given the regular UK opt outs anyway it would really add much cost and would better provide for both audiences.

For a UK viewer this would then give you (domestic highlighted in bold):

6 - 9: Breakfast

9 - 12: UK News

12 - 13 : World News 

13 - 13:45 : 1 O'Clock News

13:45 - 15 : World News

15 - 17 : UK News

17 - 18 : World News

18 - 19 : 6 O'Clock News

19 - 20 : World News

20 - 22 : The Context

22 - 22:30 : 10 O'Clock News

22:30 - 23:10 : Newsnight

23:10 - : Newsday

(29-06-2023, 12:39 PM)thomalex Wrote:  I feel that's what will eventually happen, the penny must have dropped now with those in charge. If you're having to opt out to a UK feed, and need a studio set up with a presenter, you might as well just run a scheduled programme just for UK news. I'd also argue you might slot in 2 hours in the afternoon. On days with heavy domestic news you can opt out over the international hours, and if not you just stick to 3 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.

The move will essentially be back to two separate news channels, but with more shared programs with World than you had previously.

The problem is sometimes they're in the bizarre situation whereby they're broadcasting Nicky Campbell on the UK feed, which is already an opt out of the Global feed in itself, only to opt out of the already opted-out feed (Nicky Campbell) to go to someone in the clip studio to cover Breaking News or a presser.

Are they trying to break a record for the most opt outs of a channel going on at once? It must be a bit of a headache for those in the various galleries trying to coordinate things.

Does anyone know which gallery handles the Nicky Campbell show?
[-] The following 9 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AaronLancs, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Ma76, PatrZDZ, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(29-06-2023, 12:46 PM)Worzel Wrote:  The problem is sometimes they're in the bizarre situation whereby they're broadcasting Nicky Campbell on the UK feed, which is already an opt out of the Global feed in itself, only to opt out of the already opted-out feed (Nicky Campbell) to go to someone in the clip studio to cover Breaking News or a presser.

Isn't it just the opt-out gallery switching from one source (Nicky Campbell coming from Salford) to another (balcony flashcam) ?
[-] The following 5 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Ma76, UTVLifer

(29-06-2023, 12:39 PM)thomalex Wrote:  I feel that's what will eventually happen, the penny must have dropped now with those in charge. If you're having to opt out to a UK feed more often than not, and need a studio set up with a presenter, you might as well just run a scheduled programme just for UK news. I'd also argue you might slot in 2 hours in the afternoon. On days with heavy domestic news you can opt out over the international hours, and if not you just stick to 3 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.

The move will essentially be back to two separate news channels, but with more shared programs with World than you had previously. I fail to see how given the regular UK opt outs anyway it would really add much cost and would better provide for both audiences.

Ref the above it's worth noting that currently the BBC are looking at extending Breakfast (unknown if that's to 9.30 or 10am), and extending the News at 1 to an hour.

If that happens without any other changes you'd get the following.

[*]6 - 9.30/10: Breakfast
[*]9.30/10-11: 5 Live (assuming simulcast continues)
[*]11-13: BBC News (currently merged service)
[*]13 - 14 : 1 O'clock News (presumably with additional content during regional opt-out)
[*]14 - 18: BBC News (currently merged service)
[*]18 - 19 : 6 O'clock News

With that in mind arguably there's the opportunity for two UK-opt out chunks.

[*]9.30/10am to 1pm: (3hr or 3.5hr)
[*]2 to 6pm: (4hr)

In theory this would only require two presenters/reporters plus gallery staff, and if needed they could still opt for a joint service for the 5pm hour.

I doubt any such changes will happen until September at the earliest, and it's quite possible they might wait until next April due to the financial year.  In my opinion having 9am until 11am as a UK-opt or UK focussed programme would be an improvement on regularly opting away from Nicky Campbell.  By all means keep the 5Live simulcast, but only have it on BBC Two where it could be shown in full.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 9 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, ilsondan15, Jeff, London Lite, Ma76, PatrZDZ, thePineapple

(29-06-2023, 12:46 PM)Worzel Wrote:  The problem is sometimes they're in the bizarre situation whereby they're broadcasting Nicky Campbell on the UK feed, which is already an opt out of the Global feed in itself, only to opt out of the already opted-out feed (Nicky Campbell) to go to someone in the clip studio to cover Breaking News or a presser.

Are they trying to break a record for the most opt outs of a channel going on at once? It must be a bit of a headache for those in the various galleries trying to coordinate things.

Does anyone know which gallery handles the Nicky Campbell show?
Does the Nicky Campbell feed go out online regardless of if it's on BBC News?