BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(06-07-2023, 02:51 PM)dvboy Wrote:  There is a BBC News Special on the night of Thursday 20 July to cover the Uxbridge and South Ruislip and Selby and Ainsty by-election results, from 12:05am to 4am.

With Jo Coburn presenting, which is a surprise as I would expecting to be Laura K after she did the local elections overnight
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Quantum+83

(01-07-2023, 07:11 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  twitter.com 

Christian Fraser is indeed back today on the Context.
[-] The following 7 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(06-07-2023, 04:14 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  With Jo Coburn presenting, which is a surprise as I would expecting to be Laura K after she did the local elections overnight

I'm surprised the By Election coverage isn't running til 6:00am since surely some of the 3 results might not come in til after 4:00am.
[-] The following 1 user Likes News76's post:
  • AJB39

(06-07-2023, 02:03 PM)Newshound Wrote:  Why all the background noise on the News Channel? Is this real or canned chatter? Is this just the UK feed? I get that it might be the sound of a busy newsroom but it threatens to distract from the presentation. It’s mysteriously disappeared now we are back in the main studio with Ben Thompson at 2pm.

It’s from the balcony studio where’s there is little to block out the noise, Ben Thompson would have been in the usual C, that’s the thing the now UK feed just comes from that balcony studio or an outside source they don’t even have a proper studio they can use.
[-] The following 5 users Like harshy's post:
  • chrisherald, Jayesyn, Newshound, oscillon, Quantum+83

(06-07-2023, 10:02 PM)harshy Wrote:  It’s from the balcony studio where’s there is little to block out the noise, Ben Thompson would have been in the usual C, that’s the thing the now UK feed just comes from that balcony studio or an outside source they don’t even have a proper studio they can use.

They'd be better off letting the presenter present from home.
[-] The following 5 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, harshy, Newshound, Quantum+83

(06-07-2023, 02:51 PM)dvboy Wrote:  There is a BBC News Special on the night of Thursday 20 July to cover the Uxbridge and South Ruislip and Selby and Ainsty by-election results, from 12:05am to 4am.

4 hours to cover 2 results is going to be filler central isn’t it?

No doubt it’ll just be 4 hours of the same panel discussions with the same faces like pretty much all political programming these days
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Alf Stewart, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Stuart

(06-07-2023, 10:02 PM)harshy Wrote:  It’s from the balcony studio where’s there is little to block out the noise, Ben Thompson would have been in the usual C, that’s the thing the now UK feed just comes from that balcony studio or an outside source they don’t even have a proper studio they can use.
When the weather came from Studio J they used to wear a 'Madonna Mic' to cut out the noise from the newsroom.

Perhaps now they want to add to the atmosphere, even though that newsroom always looks half empty.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(04-07-2023, 03:29 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  This is exactly what I've thought since they announced the opening of the department. 

Hardly anything makes it to air on the BBC unless it's been checked, double checked and confirmed and on the odd occasion something does slip through the net - The BBC will own it immediately. 

It's a gimmick at best. If everything is 'Verified Live; then why does it only stamp three hours of programming with the logo? Bonkers.

They do have a new team for BBC Verified which I understand check viewer submitted media as well as those found on social media. It is not a simple case of checking stuff now. AI means something can look very real but be fake, so further checks and techniques are required. Did the BBC had to brand this? is not for me to say. But it will certainly become important in the coming years for people to know media they are looking at is genuine and not fake. But it is not just some new touch screens, there is a new team!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 237's post:
  • Boozehound

(07-07-2023, 07:15 AM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  They do have a new team for BBC Verified which I understand check viewer submitted media as well as those found on social media. It is not a simple case of checking stuff now. AI means something can look very real but be fake, so further checks and techniques are required. Did the BBC had to brand this? is not for me to say. But it will certainly become important in the coming years for people to know media they are looking at is genuine and not fake. But it is not just some new touch screens, there is a new team!
My problem with this new 'BBC Verify' branding is that they recently spent quite a few months running a very good promotional video on their channels boasting about how their reporters either verified or personally witnessed events, and showing quotations of their written commitment to do so.

My first impression here is that either that commitment was not genuine, or they think people didn't believe them. Either of those scenarios are worrying.
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(07-07-2023, 07:30 AM)Stuart Wrote:  My problem with this new 'BBC Verify' branding is that they recently spent quite a few months running a very good promotional video on their channels boasting about how their reporters either verified or personally witnessed events, and showing quotations of their written commitment to do so.

My first impression here is that either that commitment was not genuine, or they think people didn't believe them. Either of those scenarios are worrying.

I don't think it's a new thing, just far worse with social media etc. A person on Youtube can do a better set up than these touch screens and branding. Traditional news organisations have to try and stay relevant which I would suggest is why you are getting this branding. The power of their newsgathering and legacy is the only thing they have left. Everything else can be done by a YouTuber is the harsh reality. Personally I think the clock is ticking for 24 news channels.
[-] The following 6 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Stuart, The_IT_Technician, UTVLifer