BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(14-07-2023, 12:13 AM)AndrewP Wrote:  I'm afraid you're mistaken on the first point, as George Michael is at least still on the playlist for Magic 105.4

Whooosh!!
[-] The following 6 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Alf Stewart, alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, LargelyALurker, Quantum+83, Spencer

Why did Nancy Kacungira got her name on yesterday's The Daily Global? I thought it was a chief-presenter-only thing... Is she part of the new correspondent/presenter team?
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like InternationalDesk's post:
  • oscillon, PatrZDZ

(14-07-2023, 06:22 AM)InternationalDesk Wrote:  Is she part of the new correspondent/presenter team?

Deadline reported she was the only one to have been recruited so far, yes. Apparently all the other presenter-reporters are freelancers or other staff members paid to ‘act up’ on the channel temporarily.
[-] The following 4 users Like House's post:
  • chrisherald, oscillon, SlimyTrain, UTVLifer

(14-07-2023, 12:20 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Whooosh!!
D'oh!!  Big Grin

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

Without getting into speculation about whether Huw Edwards will return to presenting news bulletins on BBC 1 in the long term, we do know that he's off our screens for the foreseeable future.

With the summer holiday leave period coming up as well, this could be a chance to allow a couple of the 5 former News Channel presenters who are stuck on gardening leave on full pay to temporarily join the BBC 1 network news team to provide cover. I still cannot fathom why these 5 presenters, with decades of experience between them, are not back on our screens yet anyway.

Are 5 permanent BBC 1 presenters - Sophie, Reeta, Jane, Clive & Ben, and also allowing for leave/sickness, enough to cover every BBC 1 network bulletin (apart from weekend lunchtimes) for the foreseeable future?
[-] The following 8 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, DeMarkay, Quantum+83, Reith85, Scratch_Perry, UTVLifer

(14-07-2023, 05:08 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Without getting into speculation about whether Huw Edwards will return to presenting news bulletins on BBC 1 in the long term, we do know that he's off our screens for the foreseeable future.

With the summer holiday leave period coming up as well, this could be a chance to allow a couple of the 5 former News Channel presenters who are stuck on gardening leave on full pay to temporarily join the BBC 1 network news team to provide cover. I still cannot fathom why these 5 presenters, with decades of experience between them, are not back on our screens yet anyway.

Are 5 permanent BBC 1 presenters - Sophie, Reeta, Jane, Clive & Ben, and also allowing for leave/sickness, enough to cover every BBC 1 network bulletin (apart from weekend lunchtimes) for the foreseeable future?

No but I’d suggest Fiona Bruce and Tina Daheley are more likely to appear than any of the ones you refer to.

Who are included in the five? 

There are approximately 884 shifts a year. That ignores Bank Holidays and assumes one shift for Saturday and Sunday each. 

We know that Mishal, Tina and Fiona cover a certain number from the annual report. We also know that a Breakfast presenter does about 180 editions a year. 

I'm not sure based on this it leaves much though it is also dependant on the other roles each presenter also has. Sophie is probably the one who always does the most BBC News

(14-07-2023, 05:21 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Who are included in the five? 

There are approximately 884 shifts a year. That ignores Bank Holidays and assumes one shift for Saturday and Sunday each. 

We know that Mishal, Tina and Fiona cover a certain number from the annual report. We also know that a Breakfast presenter does about 180 editions a year. 

I'm not sure based on this it leaves much though it is also dependant on the other roles each presenter also has. Sophie is probably the one who always does the most BBC News

The 5 former News Channel presenters who are on fully paid gardening leave:
Martine Croxall, Annita McVeigh, Geeta Guru Murphy, Kaisa Madreira, Karin Giannone.

The 5 permanent BBC 1 network news presenters (without Huw):
Sophie, Reeta, Ben, Clive & Jane (but Jane only seems to be part time now).

I can't remember seeing a Breakfast presenter do a BBC 1 network news bulletin in recent years.

I'd just like the rationale of  deliberately keeping 5 of your most experienced news presenters off air on full pay to be explained, when there's ample opportunities for them to be on screen, either on BBC 1 bulletins or the news channel?
By now any other organisation would either have found them new roles or let them go.

If none of the ‘main’ network faces are available they’ll more than likely go for a news channel chief presenter, like the other week when Maryam Moshiri did the One.

Sadly I cannot see any of the 5 news channel presenters currently on ‘gardening leave’ appearing any time soon, if ever. I too would love to know how this is saving the BBC money, especially as they’re paying numerous freelancers etc to cover shifts too.
Although Martine did tweet this earlier in response to someone asking if she’s left the corporation:

twitter.com 

Though I guess ‘later’ could mean anything from this afternoon to in 3 months time.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(14-07-2023, 05:28 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  The 5 former News Channel presenters who are on fully paid gardening leave:
Martine Croxall, Annita McVeigh, Geeta Guru Murphy, Kaisa Madreira, Karin Giannone.

The 5 permanent BBC 1 network news presenters (without Huw):
Sophie, Reeta, Ben, Clive & Jane (but Jane only seems to be part time now).

I can't remember seeing a Breakfast presenter do a BBC 1 network news bulletin in recent years.

I'd just like the rationale of  deliberately keeping 5 of your most experienced news presenters off air on full pay to be explained, when there's ample opportunities for them to be on screen, either on BBC 1 bulletins or the news channel?
Geeta Guru-Murthy is covering for Stephen Nolan on BBC Radio Five Live tomorrow night and on Sunday night.
[-] The following 7 users Like AJB39's post:
  • AndrewP, Newsroom, oscillon, Quantum+83, Radio_man, Rolling News, UTVLifer