BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I think before there is mass speculation about who will doing what on Network bulletins while there is a temporary opening (as of now), not one of us on this forum knows who is on what contract.

Fiona Bruce has other commitments with the BBC as does Clive Marie and I sure as hell wouldn't want to give up those gigs. Fiona for example has had her spot for many a year as presenter of the 'Six' on Monday. Speculation about Jane Hill is just that - speculation, a quick check on Socials indicates she's been on annual leave. Of late, we can consider Ben Brown to be a 'regular' presenter of the 'One'.

Also - who claimed those presenters named above were on 'Gardening Leave' - that's clap trap! How can someone be on Gardening Leave yet work a couple of floors up in Monitoring? I think an edit is in need.

(14-07-2023, 06:01 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I think before there is mass speculation about who will doing what on Network bulletins while there is a temporary opening (as of now), not one of us on this forum knows who is on what contract.

Fiona Bruce has other commitments with the BBC as does Clive Marie and I sure as hell wouldn't want to give up those gigs.  Fiona for example has had her spot for many a year as presenter of the 'Six' on Monday. Speculation about Jane Hill is just that - speculation, a quick check on Socials indicates she's been on annual leave. Of late, we can consider Ben Brown to be a 'regular' presenter of the 'One'.

Also - who claimed those presenters named above were on 'Gardening Leave' - that's clap trap! How can someone be on Gardening Leave yet work a couple of floors up in Monitoring? I think an edit is in need.

The other thing to note is that even without the current situation the senior presenters typically take a decent chunk the summer off so people like Clive, Reeta and Jane typically appear more than at other times of year in any case and it wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume that non-time-sensitive commitments away from News would be kept to a minimum at this time of year to allow that to happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes qwerty123's post:
  • UTVLifer

(14-07-2023, 06:01 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I think before there is mass speculation about who will doing what on Network bulletins while there is a temporary opening (as of now), not one of us on this forum knows who is on what contract.

Fiona Bruce has other commitments with the BBC as does Clive Marie and I sure as hell wouldn't want to give up those gigs.  Fiona for example has had her spot for many a year as presenter of the 'Six' on Monday. Speculation about Jane Hill is just that - speculation, a quick check on Socials indicates she's been on annual leave. Of late, we can consider Ben Brown to be a 'regular' presenter of the 'One'.

I don't keep up with this thread as much as I used to, so I didn't know that some of the 5 former female NC presenters have been given off-air roles. Although I stand by my point that it's a massive waste of talent for these 5 female presenters to be kept off our screens whilst freelancers fill shifts on the news channel and there's a potential (hopefully, only temporary) shortage of presenters for BBC 1 bulletins.
[-] The following 3 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • James, Quantum+83, Rxtx

Rota talk - how fun!

I think with or without Huw in the mix the BBC1 bulletins have already gone very much the way of other shows like GMB and The One Show with more focus on a team of presenters turning up any night of the week on any bulletin rather than the 1, 6 and 10 having a dedicated lead presenter. I'd like to see a return to the latter but I don't think it's going to happen.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, cando, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(14-07-2023, 06:16 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I don't keep up with this thread as much as I used to, so I didn't know that some of the 5 former female NC presenters have been given off-air roles. Although I stand by my point that it's a massive waste of talent for these 5 female presenters to be kept off our screens whilst freelancers fill shifts on the news channel and there's a potential (hopefully, only temporary) shortage of presenters for BBC 1 bulletins.

The problem there is that they couldn’t contractually commit to giving any of those presenters shifts on BBC One when on paper at least (although the reality is different and retaining the pool that they have makes perfect sense in practice) the BBC One team is already substantially over staffed and it’s unlikely that any of these presenters would return to air without being offered a contractual commitment. If the best case scenario happened and Huw and George were both able to return to work (even assuming neither of them were to return to more than 3 bulletins a week as they have done when on air for the past few years) it would leave 7 bulletins a week and cover to split between Reeta, Clive, Jane, Ben, Fiona, Mishal, Tina and anybody else they gave BBC One shifts to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes qwerty123's post:
  • chrisherald

In all honesty, I can't see them getting to a stage where they have no one to present a bulletin, so we should stop worrying.
[-] The following 12 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Frances, ilsondan15, JamesWorldNews, Newsroom, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(14-07-2023, 06:26 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  In all honesty, I can't see them getting to a stage where they have no one to present a bulletin, so we should stop worrying.

Yes, in the worst case scenario Chris Rogers in back in the frame and we all know he is capable of presenting the news channel for half a day with his only breaks from that role to be reading the BBC One Bulletins.
[-] The following 5 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Rolling News

Two gaffes on the NC today in a span of one hour.

At 6pm the UK feed superimposed the Six headlines over the themselves with a delay, leading to a "double animation" (it was certainly a NC bug, on BBC One there were no double headlines)

[Image: BBC-jul14-doublehealdines.gif]

And at 7 pm BBC News used intro titles for "Daily Global with Yalda Hakim"... despite it was Tanya Beckett presenting.
[-] The following 7 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain, Stuart, UTVLifer

(14-07-2023, 07:29 PM)oscillon Wrote:  At 7pm today BBC News used intro titles for "Daily Global with Yalda Hakim"... despite it was Tanya Beckett presenting.

The same thing happened at 5pm, they used intro titles "Verified Live with Matthew Amroliwala" despite it being Lewis Vaughan Jones presenting.
[-] The following 8 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

twitter.com 

BBC World has been pretty poor in its coverage of the region.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83