BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I still can’t see what it adds having them stood there when there is a studio with decent presenting areas and multiple screens in the same area. They managed to have people in the studios last week.

Just out of curiosity, is the washington studio in use during UK daytime hours? It just seems really wasteful having it lit up and the screens on if it’s not in use or if it’s just so it can appear on those monitors.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

(19-07-2023, 01:48 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I still can’t see what it adds having them stood there when there is a studio with decent presenting areas and multiple screens in the same area. They managed to have people in the studios last week.

Just out of curiosity, is the washington studio in use during UK daytime hours? It just seems really wasteful having it lit up and the screens on if it’s not in use or if it’s just so it can appear on those monitors.

I asked a similar question a few months ago, TV studios are generally never powered off was the answer.

Probably incase something doesn't turn back on!
[-] The following 4 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, woodnorton

(18-07-2023, 11:23 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  And nobody would probably have even noticed if it wasn't for one person who is known for 24/7 obsessively watching the news channel in a bid to clip any possible cock-up (however slight) and immediately post it on Twitter

Surprised the caption wasn't "incredible scenes"
[-] The following 3 users Like Jamesypoo's post:
  • Andrew, Quantum+83, VMPhil

(19-07-2023, 05:12 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  I asked a similar question a few months ago, TV studios are generally never powered off was the answer.

I think it’s a consequence of the JFK assassination. Was it CBS & Walter Cronkite who were out of vision and down a telephone line because the cameras took a while to warm up, which isn’t ideal when the news was so great, fast moving and unexpected. I’m sure I read that after that at least one studio of some sort was always left on.
[-] The following 5 users Like news junkie's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Stuart, UTVLifer

UK feed (and possibly World as well) made a little mess opting out of a New Zealand PM presser.

At 23:30 UKT they both started playing ABR music while at least the UK feed was still showing feed of NZ PM, then switched to Newsday closing logo and tried to muffle the ABR. After that, UK feed went to middle-of-the-hour BBC News announcement - but Monica Miller was still heard, now reading ABR headlines. Nevertheless, towards the spoken part of the announcement they finally managed to cut off the World feed audio, so there was no speech interference.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(19-07-2023, 05:12 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  I asked a similar question a few months ago, TV studios are generally never powered off was the answer.

Much of the core equipment will be left running, but the set will be powered down when not in use (screen blanked, lights turned off)

(19-07-2023, 12:14 AM)Worzel Wrote:  You won't enjoy watching BBC Persian then as they haven't adopted Reith at all and are still 2 updates behind.

www.youtube.com 

They ought to use that headline wipe on the main channel, looks good with the logo in there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mightynine's post:
  • oscillon

Looks like the Nicky Campbell show is just an hour long this morning as 5 Live has coverage of the Women's World Cup from 10am.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NickyBoy's post:
  • xlalonce

(20-07-2023, 06:59 AM)NickyBoy Wrote:  Looks like the Nicky Campbell show is just an hour long this morning as 5 Live has coverage of the Women's World Cup from 10am.
Small mercies..........

(and it looks like we'll be treated to 2 hours of actual TV news tomorrow morning 9 - 11am as well going by the iPlayer schedule)
[-] The following 11 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Newsroom, NickyBoy, Quantum+83, Rolling News, SlimyTrain, strollfan, Stuart, xlalonce

Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but do we know who is helming the by-election overnight special coverage? Assuming in different times it would have been Huw?

Also, the fuss on here about the people in the background of a shot is laughable given the BBC's literal figurehead anchor has been suspended. There are clearly bigger things to be concerned about right now.
[-] The following 4 users Like Alessi's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, UTVLifer