BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Let me preface this by saying that this isn't any kind of anti BBC rant, and I'm not interested in discussing Farage's financial arrangements.

Something about this statement doesn't seem right - isn't it usual practice for the Beeb to have more than one source before reporting something?

twitter.com 

Not if it is a credible first hand source
www.bbc.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • JamieMurph25

I wonder if they ran the Farage story during BBC Verified Live with Matthew Amroliwala?
[-] The following 7 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, James, Jayesyn, JJJJ, Nobby, Quantum+83

Given the source seems to have been the head of the bank (they were sat together at an event the night before the story), it was probably in that ‘very senior’ category.

BUT given the very senior source had a very good reason to not tell the full story, perhaps not the wisest editorial call to report so categorically.

Hindsight a wonderful thing but if you pride yourself on verification of everything, you do look somewhat foolish when that goes wrong.

I do feel for Simon Jack to an extent.  It looks like this didn't come via Natwest's Corporate PR department, but direct from a source he regarded as senior enough he could trust. 

As an effective PR knows there is a difference between getting out your side of the story and trying to set the narrative versus telling an untruth.

Whatever your views on Farage he is someone who knows how to work the media as some have now learned the hard way.
[-] The following 5 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • AndrewP, Jeff, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

BBC started putting the temperature on the location bug when reporting from Greece

[Image: BBC-LIVE-temperature.png]

(25-07-2023, 06:01 PM)oscillon Wrote:  BBC started putting the temperature on the location bug when reporting from Greece

Will somebody think of the Americans.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, EastCoast, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, xlalonce

No more a senior source than the CEO

twitter.com 

(24-07-2023, 08:00 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Let me preface this by saying that this isn't any kind of anti BBC rant, and I'm not interested in discussing Farage's financial arrangements.

Something about this statement doesn't seem right - isn't it usual practice for the Beeb to have more than one source before reporting something?

twitter.com 

What was going through the mind of the bank cheif when she sat at a dinner table and revealed private information, or even suggested it to someone who was not a bank employee, or the BBC staff member who then decided to print it, is beyond me. The whole situation is strange. And reeks of the establishment stitch up. No matter what you think of those at the receving end. Both companies need to have words with their staff. And the bank chief should resign. It is not a good look for the BBC and hardly screams man of the people. Many Processes have been broken.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 237's post:
  • JJJJ

(25-07-2023, 06:02 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Will somebody think of the Americans.
Yeah in Phoenix it’s been 43°(115°F) + for the 25th day in a row.

(25-07-2023, 06:01 PM)oscillon Wrote:  BBC started putting the temperature on the location bug when reporting from Greece
Is the temp bug dynamic? Or someone entering the temperature during the live shot?

Additionally in some areas I’d like it if they’d put the country. Here we know it’s Greece. But for foreigners some of the smaller areas in the UK that are mentioned could just have a comma, UK - no need for a time bug.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rkolsen's post:
  • chrisherald