BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(18-08-2023, 09:14 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  I'm not sure what her regular reporting role is (I know she reported from Kyiv last year) but after today I wouldnt be adverse to seeing her more on the News Channel. Maybe one of the presenter reporter roles?

She’s Middle East Correspondent, but as you say has covered Kyiv to Turkey’s earthquake.

But before that she was the presenter of Five Live Drive for some time - she’s an excellent broadcaster.

(18-08-2023, 07:39 PM)dvboy Wrote:  For comparison, it got coverage on CNN (One World) earlier, they played out an ITN package and followed it with an interview.

I’m not sure I agree that it wouldn’t have got extensive coverage before - it may well not have got the full rolling coverage but the UK’s most prolific killer of babies in modern times would be a major story on BBC World of any variant.

The one element that didn’t work was having the 3pm hour branded ‘Verified Live’. It’s bad enough at the best of times, but seriously just run the normal titles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • AJB39

(18-08-2023, 09:52 PM)steve Wrote:  I’m not sure I agree that it wouldn’t have got extensive coverage before - it may well not have got the full rolling coverage but the UK’s most prolific killer of babies in modern times would be a major story on BBC World of any variant.
But define extensive coverage. It wouldn't be surprised to see it get a package + maybe interview, even possibly getting into the headlines, but I can't see - even in the later years of World News - it beating out stories like the Canadian wildfires and can't see them sending their own on-scene reporters, which would be necessary to allow them to do their own DtLs (unless they were willing to wait for NC to finish, but that's a scheduling nightmare with a domestic story like this).

I'm also not sure it'd be a major story in any era - the initial case maybe, but the sentencing I'm not sure about. Post-2015 and especially post-2020 is fairly likely, but there are certainly some more high-minded phases the channel went through where I can see it not getting first half of a bulletin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • chrisherald

Al Jazeera English covered it in their 1900 Newshour. There was a full report and it even made it into the headlines.

With the Lucy Letby coverage - again the talk is of how it’s not how World News would have done it. That’s irrelevant, World News doesn’t exist any more. The conscious decision has been made that world viewers will see more UK News than before, and the opposite for UK viewers. Agree or disagree, that’s your choice, but the channel has a different focus now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • AverageOrangeTurnip

A shame the quality of the coverage on the Ten has been negatively affected by heavy rain in Manchester where Reeta is presenting from outdoors. Heavy rain on the tent they standing under, along with sloshing noise from traffic nearby driving through water means Reeta is having to raise her voice to be heard.

Thankfully all of the reports are high quality and well produced.

(18-08-2023, 10:23 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  A shame the quality of the coverage on the Ten has been negatively affected by heavy rain in Manchester where Reeta is presenting from outdoors. Heavy rain on the tent they standing under, along with sloshing noise from traffic nearby driving through water means Reeta is having to raise her voice to be heard.

Thankfully all of the reports are high quality and well produced.
Perfectly audible on my tv.

One thing I noticed is that she didn't have autoscript on the 6 nor on the ten.

(18-08-2023, 10:15 PM)all new phil Wrote:  With the Lucy Letby coverage - again the talk is of how it’s not how World News would have done it. That’s irrelevant, World News doesn’t exist any more. The conscious decision has been made that world viewers will see more UK News than before, and the opposite for UK viewers. Agree or disagree, that’s your choice, but the channel has a different focus now.
I don’t know that it does have a focus. Perhaps inadvertently you’ve made a really good point. It’s a really uncomfortable mishmash between world news and uk news. We all know why so won’t go into that, but it can’t be great for world viewers. It would be much better I think if there were designated world hours and uk hours.
[-] The following 3 users Like KatsKaravan's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Frances

Lucy Letby is being labelled the UK's most prolific serial killer in recent modern times. It's particularly foul because she killed babies.

Of course it was going to be headline news wherever you're watching from and naturally the BBC would have run with it. It's on CNN's front page, second column, same as ABC and NBC.

(18-08-2023, 08:11 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Thanks for putting a name to the face.  First time I've seen someone I didn't recognise on the presenting on the merged news channel and thought they were excellent.   One to keep an eye on.

She's done a lot on Five Live, so has got plenty of experience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • Brekkie

Unless I’m imagining it bbc news Uk is just repeating panaroma again