BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(10-09-2023, 08:56 AM)AaronTV Wrote:  ‘Cumulative daily reach’ is one of those figures that sounds impressive but doesn’t really mean anything in terms of actual viewers.
Except for literally being the average number of people who watch the channel per day.

While it is true that this might include some viewers who only watch for short periods of time, for your 100,000 'actual' viewers thing to be true and in line with the actual data, you are having to assume that more than 85% of the channel's viewing is coming from less than 5% of its total audience with those viewers watching about 4-5 hours per day, every day.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, chrisherald, Quantum+83

The news channel isn't there to be watched hour after hour day after day by the licenc fee payer - it's there to be there when the viewer wants it. That especially means being strong at times of major breaking news and developing stories, whether an international disaster or a UK political story (usually a disaster of some sort!).

It probably still just about managed to do that - it's what it's purpose is the rest of the time which seems confused, and therefore perhaps alienating to an audience which will dip in daily outside those big stories who now perhaps get fewer stories covered in more depth, though not necessarily meaning more detail. For me now if I want a decent round up of the news from the BBC television wise we're back to the BBC1 bulletins really being the only option.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, ilsondan15, TVFan

I'm honestly very curious as to what the overarching idea is here with the new title sequences we've seen.

There's a connecting thread, yes - the circle - and some of the titles we've seen are hella lazy, yes - ex. Verified Live and Newswatch...

And I'm definitely questioning what's coming from Wolff Olins and what's coming from in-house BBC...

But I'm the most curious about what the big idea is here. Why a circle?

Could it be the fact that news is around the clock, 365, 24/7?

Who knows, 'cause I sure don't!
[-] The following 2 users Like Lyric's post:
  • chrisherald, Jayesyn

I don’t think anyone knows other then those designers at bbc news, none of it makes any sense, other then the new design seems to involve a lot of red and simple shapes mainly circles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • chrisherald

(10-09-2023, 08:35 PM)Lyric Wrote:  But I'm the most curious about what the big idea is here.  Why a circle?

Could it be the fact that news is around the clock, 365, 24/7?

Who knows, 'cause I sure don't!
I would imagine it's supposed to be a minimalist representation of a globe, given the centrality of the globe to pretty much all BBC News branding since the 1970s.

Maryam Moshiri is making her debut on a the One from B.

She did the one from B a couple of weeks ago.
[-] The following 3 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • AIB01WB, oscillon, TVfan23

Shaun Ley presented Politics Live today.

(11-09-2023, 05:44 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Shaun Ley presented Politics Live today.

And might I just say, complaints about still using the Gill Sans look aside, he is rocking that beard
[-] The following 11 users Like arbrax's post:
  • AIB01WB, BBI45, bkman1990, chrisherald, James, jaymadz, MLehon, Quantum+83, Rolling News, Superman1986, UTVLifer

They appear to be using the 2021 background at the moment, along with the red box logo appearing on the left.

[-] The following 7 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LTNewslover, MFTJA, oscillon, UTVLifer