BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Is Rishi's speech on BBC 1 or just BBC News I wonder

Well the live stream on the BBC Website has a hot mic, Ive heard people talking about Rishi's height. Very professional so far.
[-] The following 5 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(20-09-2023, 04:15 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Is Rishi's speech on BBC 1 or just BBC News I wonder
Only BBC News.
I'm not entirely sure why you'd think it might be on BBC One. It's not as if the PM was announcing an election, or announcing something of immediate public importance. (Yes, the climate is of public importance but doesn't require them to take immediate action.)

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 6 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, leewilliams, Stuart

Sophie Raworth presenting the Six live from Plymouth this evening. I think some of their reports in and around the city must have been filmed on other days. There has been torrential rain here most of the day, but it had stopped by 6pm. Sophie has just admitted it's the first time she's seen blue sky in Plymouth today. Tongue

I guess there are many things you can plan for in OBs, but not the weather, especially in Plymouth. Wink
[-] The following 7 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Superman1986, thePineapple, TJTSW

(20-09-2023, 04:29 PM)Keith Wrote:  I'm not entirely sure why you'd think it might be on BBC One.  It's not as if the PM was announcing an election, or announcing something of immediate public importance. (Yes, the climate is of public importance but doesn't require them to take immediate action.)

It's unusual for a Prime Minister to call a press conference. Put to one side the daily press conferences during the pandemic and consider a moment the circumstances in which one would expect to hear from a Prime Minister. One could argue that last year, having dismissed a Chancellor of the Exchequer, a press conference by the Prime Minister should have been on BBC One.

By that standard, today's press conference - arranged at the last minute in response to economic, political and societal criticism - could, should and did warrant being broadcast on BBC One. Irrespective of one's views on the issues at hand, they were voted upon in a plebiscite and the HM Government has decided unilaterally to jettison the relevant policies.

A press conference called by the Prime Minister is rare. A press conference called at the last minute is rarer still.
[-] The following 4 users Like Dougal's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, UTVLifer, xlalonce

I don't think we need press conferences from the government to automatically be broadcast generally. They are too political and if they were to be I'd want the same prominence for someone to fact check then afterwards.
[-] The following 4 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald, Dougal, Quantum+83

(20-09-2023, 08:39 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I don't think we need press conferences from the government to automatically be broadcast generally. They are too political and if they were to be I'd want the same prominence for someone to fact check then afterwards.

I agree. During the pandemic the daily conferences were to my mind far too political. Select highlights are far more suitable.

(20-09-2023, 08:39 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I don't think we need press conferences from the government to automatically be broadcast generally. They are too political and if they were to be I'd want the same prominence for someone to fact check then afterwards.

As long as the opposition is given equal footing I don't see an issue. If the government of the day is to announce a policy change it is not like this can be ignored. So if it were not broadcast, this would raise many questions.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • Dougal, Quantum+83

(20-09-2023, 07:54 PM)Dougal Wrote:  It's unusual for a Prime Minister to call a press conference. Put to one side the daily press conferences during the pandemic and consider a moment the circumstances in which one would expect to hear from a Prime Minister. One could argue that last year, having dismissed a Chancellor of the Exchequer, a press conference by the Prime Minister should have been on BBC One.

By that standard, today's press conference - arranged at the last minute in response to economic, political and societal criticism - could, should and did warrant being broadcast on BBC One. 
Absolutely not - it was just the usual grandstanding and announcing policy away from the scrutiny of parliament.   The BBC does it's duty by digesting it to report on within the bulletin - and indeed gad already done its public service duty by leaking the plans beforehand.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AverageOrangeTurnip, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jeff, matthieu1221, m_in_m, NewsCentral, Quantum+83

I don’t understand why bbc news came from Plymouth but it was nicely shot though as expected from a bbc network news programme.
[-] The following 6 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 237, Quantum+83, Spencer, Stuart