BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(23-09-2023, 02:16 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  Peter Sissons must be spinning in his grave.

It was all a bit strange really such a long speech and probably went out to next to no UK viewers at all, even Nik Gowing or Mike Embley didn’t make a speech like that.
[-] The following 4 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, itsrobert, Roger Darthwell

(23-09-2023, 06:13 PM)harshy Wrote:  It was all a bit strange really such a long speech and probably went out to next to no UK viewers at all, even Nik Gowing or Mike Embley didn’t make a speech like that.

It does really communicate the kind of bubble many media people are in. While as I say I don't have an issue with someone doing a send off, the message did sway into areas beyond the practical news reporting, i'm really surprised she did not get up on a soapbox! with the greatest of respect, do we really care what a presenter thinks? I really have no interest. She should have stopped at the "thank you", the after "words of my own" section I suggest possibly broke rules. I think that is two departing BBC on air staff issuing statements recently. They are going to ruin it for others because the BBC will turn around and say departing people are no longer permitted to have an on air send off at the very least. Not to mention the song added at the end drummed in it was more of a social movement piece than anything serious. Questions need to be asked.
[-] The following 11 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, eyeTV, harshy, itsrobert, JJJJ, Pips2022, Roger Darthwell

(23-09-2023, 06:26 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  It does really communicate the kind of bubble many media people are in. While as I say I don't have an issue with someone doing a send off, the message did sway into areas beyond the practical news reporting, i'm really surprised she did not get up on a soapbox! with the greatest of respect, do we really care what a presenter thinks? I really have no interest. She should have stopped at the "thank you", the after "words of my own" section I suggest possibly broke rules. I think that is two departing BBC on air staff issuing statements recently. They are going to ruin it for others because the BBC will turn around and say departing people are no longer permitted to have an on air send off at the very least. Not to mention the song added at the end drummed in it was more of a social movement piece than anything serious. Questions need to be asked.

Many long serving American newscasters have these valedictorian speech when they leave such as Walter Cronkite. Its cloying and syrupy and totally out of place in uk News.
[-] The following 9 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, itsrobert, JJJJ, kookaburra, Pips2022, Roger Darthwell

I think she's leaving broadcasting altogether to study something else, so I guess that makes it extra big for her. What she was saying actually relates to that.
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Arguably for the office though rather than for broadcast. Even if it's your last day the viewers should come first.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, itsrobert, Pips2022

(23-09-2023, 07:38 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Many long serving American newscasters have these valedictorian speech when they leave such as Walter Cronkite. It’s cloying and syrupy and totally out of place in uk News.
There’s quite a big difference between somebody of Walter Cronkite’s stature delivering a valediction and an individual such as Victoria Valentine.

For the record, Cronkite’s farewell was reasonably short and to the point, especially when compared to those by Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather.
[-] The following 8 users Like Dougal's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, bilky asko, Brekkie, chrisherald, Pips2022, Roger Darthwell

(23-09-2023, 09:36 PM)Dougal Wrote:  There’s quite a big difference between somebody of Walter Cronkite’s stature delivering a valediction and an individual such as Victoria Valentine.

For the record, Cronkite’s farewell was reasonably short and to the point, especially when compared to those by Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather.

Cronkite's farewell was to the point and short absolutely. What I'm saying is that such statements seem out of place on British TV. 

I didn't know who Victoria Valentine was (beautiful name btw). But from what I've read it seems she was popular and I wish her well.
[-] The following 2 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • chrisherald, Dougal

I honestly don't understand the cowboy boots references on here? Is there some significance that Victoria was trying to mention?

(23-09-2023, 11:10 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Clive Myrie absolutely deserves the top job - but there is just so little depth to Chakrabarti's presenting style.  She's very much in the Moira Stewart mode - competent news reader but anything more complex she seems to struggle, so best suited to weekend bulletins really.

Even before the issues of the last year I've thought a 1999 style realignment would benefit BBC News with dedicated presenters back on the main bulletins - personally I'd have Jane on the 1, Mishal moved to the 6 and Clive on the 10, with Sophie as cover for both evening bulletins.  I suspect though the 6/10 will remain more of a team effort which is probably working well enough.
Is there a reason why Raworth isn’t seen as the natural successor? From afar, she seems to have both the poise, warmth and personality you might want for a news lead who also does things like elections.
[-] The following 6 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Dougal, House, oscillon

(23-09-2023, 10:14 PM)kookaburra Wrote:  Is there a reason why Raworth isn’t seen as the natural successor? From afar, she seems to have both the poise, warmth and personality you might want for a news lead who also does things like elections.

Reeta Chakrabarti also does election coverage, but for some reason lots of people on this forum don't like her...
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Dougal, UTVLifer