BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

ENORMOUS breaking news graphic on the BBC News live page for the Rotterdam shootings: 

[Image: bbc-news-online-breaking-rotterdam.png]

Obviously just there as a temporary placeholder image, but I think it looks surprisingly good (and might look even better if the rest of the page background was black, allowing the graphic to fully fade into the page).
[-] The following 7 users Like LDN's post:
  • AaronLancs, AIB01WB, bax, chrisherald, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell, xlalonce

It definitely seems like there’s a concerted effort to make the headlines on the nationals snappier - the 6 headlines were 44 seconds before the opt with no SOTs. Almost unheard of in recent times and it’s been similar all week.
[-] The following 12 users Like steve's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chaose, chrisherald, ilsondan15, LDN, lookoutwales, oscillon, Quantum+83, Reith85, RhysJR, TVFan

(28-09-2023, 05:10 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Pause for air:

youtu.be 

Bbc still must have the master files even though it’s been messed about with 100 times over, it’s probably the only complex graphics it has with everything else seemingly looks like it’s off the shelf and red.

(28-09-2023, 05:02 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  And two notifications about a tree. All the pressing global stories of the week covered in depth.
In fairness, the tree in question is a significant and iconic landmark in the North East. Had Nelson’s Column been knocked down or Durdle Door been demolished overnight, I’d forgive the BBC a notification or two.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice

(28-09-2023, 05:02 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  And two notifications about a tree. All the pressing global stories of the week covered in depth.

Disagree. It’s a major landmark and story
[-] The following 5 users Like thomalex's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Pips2022, Spencer, Thunderclap

(28-09-2023, 08:07 PM)Spencer Wrote:  In fairness, the tree in question is a significant and iconic landmark in the North East. Had Nelson’s Column been knocked down or Durdle Door been demolished overnight, I’d forgive the BBC a notification or two.

Absolutely - seemed to take London a while to wake up to the story (unless I missed it it was on the One at all?!) but then they’ve rightly covered high up. A huge story in the North East.
[-] The following 5 users Like steve's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Spencer, Thunderclap, UTVLifer

And on the app notifications don't forget the new BBC News app let's you choose which ones you get now. So you maybe set up to get them all which not only includes Breaking News but also Top Stories and others. Check your settings
[-] The following 5 users Like NickyS's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Spencer, Worzel

the BBC news app is a bit of a mess, I live in Devon and when it says news from Devon the first story was from Cornwall, even though below it has the first part of my Devon Postcode?! I mean silly things like that are easy to put right, however when they want people to use their online services to get something like that wrong is a bit sloppy
[-] The following 1 user Likes TJTSW's post:
  • Rolling News

(28-09-2023, 09:16 PM)NickyS Wrote:  And on the app notifications don't forget the new BBC News app lets you choose which ones you get now. So you maybe set up to get them all which not only includes Breaking News but also Top Stories and others. Check your settings
That’s useful to know, but the first I’ve heard about it. They could do with publicising this change. Even a ‘choose the notifications you receive’ notification would be helpful.
[-] The following 5 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Rolling News, TJTSW

I suppose it depends on what the definition of ‘breaking news’ is

Is it just the biggest stories, is it every story, is it every development in every story?
[-] The following 5 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Spencer, TJTSW, UTVLifer