BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(01-10-2023, 01:22 PM)cando Wrote:  Are they of National standards 🤔? Debatable
They have all presented network news in the past, but only Croxall in recent years was ever a semi-regular presenter outside of weekend lunchtimes. 

My annoyance to their mentioning doesn't stem from any negative judgement of their abilities, but because nobody on this forum actually knows what their situation is and the overly frequent discussion of that status is both incredibly repetitive, entirely speculative and adds nothing to the discussion.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, MLehon

(30-09-2023, 05:17 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Katya Adler is doing the BBC One bulletins this evening.

She's doing the teatime (and I assume the Ten) today as well.
[-] The following 5 users Like TVfan23's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, Rolling News

I notice the conference season graphics are built around squares this year, rather than hexagons as per the last few years. Perhaps suggests that the hexagon's reign as the basis for politics graphics (including the elexagon) is coming to an end? Wouldn't be entirely surprising, can easily see a Chameleon-style symbol for elections where the blocks are organised in to an X.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Reith85, Spencer

Brilliant though she is - once you notice Katya Adler's hand movements, it's tricky to unsee Big Grin
[-] The following 8 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bob, chrisherald, Nobby, Quantum+83, Stuart, TJTSW

(01-10-2023, 10:20 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  I wouldn’t mind seeing more of her but do agree with the hand movements!

I know it’s far from normal times, but this must be the first time in years (or decades) we’ve someone jump from an editor or senior correspondent role straight into presenting mainstream bulletins, and not via the news channel? I know JamesWorldNews mentioned yesterday she presented some shifts on World before, but that was a few years ago now.

Presumably because there is now a fairly thick line drawn between the network team and the ‘news channel’, completely separate teams with little crossover.

Whereas in the past a senior news channel presenter would step up on occasion
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • chrisherald, LargelyALurker, Quantum+83, Rolling News

I wouldn’t mind seeing more of her but do agree with the hand movements!

I know it’s far from normal times, but this must be the first time in years (or decades) we’ve someone jump from an editor or senior correspondent role straight into presenting mainstream bulletins, and not via the news channel? I know JamesWorldNews mentioned yesterday she presented some shifts on World before, but that was a few years ago now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(01-10-2023, 10:25 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  I know it’s far from normal times, but this must be the first time in years (or decades) we’ve someone jump from an editor or senior correspondent role straight into presenting mainstream bulletins, and not via the news channel? I know JamesWorldNews mentioned yesterday she presented some shifts on World before, but that was a few years ago now.
Arguably Chakrabarti, who I believe presented weekend evening bulletins the same week as her first News channel shifts. Alagiah also had fairly little studio presenting experience before joining the network team in 1999, though I think he might have been one of the interim presenters on News 24 afternoons after Guru-Murthy quit for Channel 4. There were also a few correspondents who have presented Breakfast in the last few years, without previous presenting experience.

Conversely, Jane Hill must have the opposite record - she was presenting daytime summaries and weekend bulletins from 2001 onwards, but only got officially promoted to network this year.

I don't expect that Adler has become a network presenter, I imagine it's just plugging the gaps caused by the unexpected presenter changes - the five core network presenters have basically been on solid since Edwards de facto left, eventually leave and/or illness would catch up with them. I'm also not sure she's solely a correspondent these days, she has co-presented a popular visualised podcast and was a presenter at this year's Proms - so it's not totally out of the blue.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(01-10-2023, 12:41 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  Every time I switch to the BBC News channel these days, I feel like I'm seconds away from a cock-up - whether it's a presenter fluffing their script, a gallery issue (e.g. VT not playing properly), a reporter at the scene or the presenter not realising they're on camera, the countdown messing up. Even if there is no cock-up and all goes smoothly, the experience of the last 6 months of the new merged channel has just led me to associate cock-ups with the channel. That plus a questionable presenting rosta, questionable graphical presentation and a lack of direction. The difference between the BBC News Channel these days and the generally slick operation that is Sky News is like comparing night and day.
The latest set of bloopers are up from Bax
youtu.be 

9:56 is quite funny.
[-] The following 11 users Like harshy's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, bkman1990, chrisherald, matthieu1221, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, Stuart, UTVLifer

(01-10-2023, 11:26 PM)harshy Wrote:  The latest set of bloopers are up from Bax
youtu.be 

9:56 is quite funny.
I know you’re always going to get things go wrong with love TV but watching that was just embarrassing at times. There really is a drop in standards. The amount of cuts to the studio early or audio issues. Who thinks Time Davis wasn’t such an accident haha

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 7 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, Quantum+83, Reith85, Stuart

(01-10-2023, 10:24 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Presumably because there is now a fairly thick line drawn between the network team and the ‘news channel’, completely separate teams with little crossover.

Whereas in the past a senior news channel presenter would step up on occasion

I wouldn't say that's completely true. Last few months we've had Maryam Moshiri on weekday 1pm bulletins, Matthew A has presented a bank holiday 1, as well as Nancy C presenting a bank holiday 1.