BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I wonder how much money is going to BBC Verify. I don't see what it does that other parts of BBC News don't do or can't do.

Has the verify branding/scripting been used at all since this conflict kicked off? Seems like such an indulgence and American style made up “feature”. It’s the news. It should be verified if we’re hearing about it. Just call it BBC News.
[-] The following 13 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, freeaxe, GMc, GraemeT88, Independent, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, matthieu1221, rkolsen, Rxtx, UTVLifer

There're a few articles that has BBC Verify front and centre, like these:
www.bbc.com 

www.bbc.com 

www.bbc.co.uk 

This audio column on Sounds is presented by one of their correspondent:
www.bbc.co.uk 

Not sure the NC has any branded strands related to them, and the Instagram Reels on the conflict are using the standard BBC News red, not the Verify blue.

I find their presence a bit weird - the articles don't carry a specific 'BBC Verify' tag; their efforts in the articles are interchangeable with "The BBC" and "BBC News"; and their specific spot on the website hasn't been updated since the Libyan flood.

As much an independent brand as it may portrayed itself as, their social media presence relies very much on BBC News' - they don't even have their own Instagram account.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 5 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, kookaburra

Well BBC Verify is quite useful right now, with all the fake or old videos circulating online, relating to the Israel-Palestine conflict, it's reassuring to know there's a special team doing research and hard work on determining what is authentic and what isn't. The logo and its colours also stand out from the rest of the red.
[-] The following 5 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, Frances, Gordonthegopher, thePineapple, xlalonce

(11-10-2023, 03:37 AM)kookaburra Wrote:  Has the verify branding/scripting been used at all since this conflict kicked off? Seems like such an indulgence and American style made up “feature”. It’s the news. It should be verified if we’re hearing about it. Just call it BBC News.
All the US networks be like.... Dodgy
www.youtube.com 

"American-style"?
Smile Wink Big Grin

Seriously though.....In my opinion, If it makes it too air it should already have been verified. Kinda redundant.
[-] The following 9 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, DeMarkay, GraemeT88, Independent, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, Roger Darthwell

They're currently showing Frank Gardner on the 'BBC Verify balcony' with the screens. Whilst the camera is static the picture quality still appears to be poor and not smooth. Either the camera isn't set up right or the video footage is somehow getting compressed.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

I still think it’s the wrong name. If you saw BBC verified on one article but not another you couldn’t blame a viewer thinking the second article may not be a verified story. If they want to go down that they route have been better with another name such s reality check or bbc fact checker or as it’s about counteracting fake news so even bbc debunk or bbc authenticate

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 12 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AaronLancs, AndrewP, chrisherald, House, Independent, interestednovice, matthieu1221, Nige, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Rxtx, UTVLifer

That was the odd thing about the launch of BBC Verify. They already had two units with established brands working on this sort of thing: BBC Monitoring, reviewing activity on social media and other media outlets around the world, revealing the truth about stories from people “on the ground”; and BBC Reality Check, which sought to confirm or debunk claims made by public figures and so on - in an effort to combat disinformation.

Both brands were very clear and understood by viewers. BBC Verify is a nebulously-used, sometimes there and sometimes not, sort of brand with no real impact or audience recognition. The fact that “three hours of fast paced news” (which is not any more fast paced than a typical hour) also uses the brand as BBC Verified Live makes no sense and further dilutes the impact of the branding.

I don’t get it, there was no problem with the brands they already had before.

Completely agree, and especially about the strand. Outside Source also did it better too - baffling the combined channel ditched one of their strongest and most shared programmes that was already simulcast.

Yes putting some juice behind the BBC Monitoring brand awareness and prominence on other platforms would have made much more sense. But expensive management consultants know best!
[-] The following 8 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, fatal paper cut, ilsondan15, Independent, interestednovice, TJTSW, UTVLifer