BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(20-10-2023, 04:29 PM)ALV Wrote:  Kudos to you sir for holding down the overnight fort in the newsroom, doing the by-election bulletins and standing by for UK opts from 0000-0600 last night~

Just an observation on the election bulletins - the lower thirds directed from NBH (Gallery A?) didn't have the BBC News logo on top... It also animated very weirdly (such as the faster animation speed). It looks so similar to the graphics from Singapore's gallery... Feels like it's a new graphics template that just got hacked quickly from the main template...

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 
They are the generic red bbc news graphics as posted on some Twitter feeds by the presenters themselves, the bbc news logo is at the bottom but in this case the flipper is on top of it and covering it up which is why it looks strange.

Controversial, but with lots of domestic news tonight, I’m wondering if they should have lead on the flooding/weather rather than it finally appearing 20 minutes in
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald, ilsondan15, Quantum+83

Not newswatch using the 2008 globe Cry
[Image: vlcsnap-2023-10-20-23h36m12s209.png?ex=6...height=676][Image: vlcsnap-2023-10-20-23h34m25s100.png?ex=6...height=676]

(20-10-2023, 11:40 PM)EverythingFavs Wrote:  Not newswatch using the 2008 globe Cry
[Image: vlcsnap-2023-10-20-23h36m12s209.png?ex=6...height=676][Image: vlcsnap-2023-10-20-23h34m25s100.png?ex=6...height=676]
The Gill Sans wrong font, wrong sized box, wrong red, very out of date logo as well!
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, Stuart, UTVLifer

(21-10-2023, 08:09 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  The Gill Sans wrong font, wrong sized box, wrong red, very out of date logo as well!
Yet more evidence that there's no pride in the output at BBC News any more.
[-] The following 5 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Daveuk, interestednovice, Quantum+83

I just don’t think anyone inside the bbc news channel at nbh seem to be care like surely someone must be checking it before it goes on air, the flipper is never faded down so the bottom of the titles get cut off all the time on the news channel.

It needs an external agency to sort out bbc news it’s a mess.
[-] The following 8 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Daveuk, interestednovice, kookaburra, Quantum+83, Reith85, Spencer

(21-10-2023, 11:55 AM)harshy Wrote:  I just don’t think anyone inside the bbc news channel at nbh seem to be care like surely someone must be checking it before it goes on air, the flipper is never faded down so the bottom of the titles get cut off all the time on the news channel.

It needs an external agency to sort out bbc news it’s a mess.
I know there have been redundancies en masse but with the number of mistakes being made, hour by hour, it's like only the cleaner is left in the building.
[-] The following 6 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Stuart

Given the journalistic integrity issues on display this week, I think accidentally using the 2008 globe is the least of BBC News’ problems.

The reporting of the explosion at the hospital in Gaza on the news channel was a real low point I have to say.

When you’ve got ‘Reports: At least 500 killed in strike on Gaza hospital’ on the flipper, with the journalist on the ground describing how this could only be a Israeli strike, I do think there is a serious issue there when you look at what later transpired and what actually turned out to be the case.

I’ve always trusted without question that BBC News as an organisation is fundamentally impartial, even if the majority of those working there probably have a similar view on the world as a whole.

The reporting of this conflict, however, has involved a lot of serious missteps that the likes of ITV News or Sky News have not found themselves making.

There could be an argument to suggest that the merged news channel simply isn’t working and the operation does not have resources it needs, which has resulted in these issues, but the resources available to the BBC still dwarfs every other British news organisation, so I’m not sure that point holds up if I’m honest.
[-] The following 6 users Like AaronTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, JJJJ, Quantum+83, Spencer, UTVLifer

(21-10-2023, 01:59 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  When you’ve got ‘Reports: At least 500 killed in strike on Gaza hospital’ on the flipper, with the journalist on the ground describing how this could only be a Israeli strike, I do think there is a serious issue there when you look at what later transpired and what actually turned out to be the case.

I think thanks to the propaganda that comes with war we can't really say we even know now the actual facts around that case and we have a situation where governments are keen to follow the Israeli narrative whilst journalists jobs is to find the truth - although sometimes journalists work towards finding a pre-conceived idea of the truth that reaches the desired conclusion.   And of course us as news consumers will often sway towards the reports which back our own point of view too.

The BBC get criticised whatever they do and so far the complaint count sees to be 50/50 which suggests there is a balance there.
[-] The following 9 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, ginnyfan, London Lite, Quantum+83, Reith85, Stuart, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(21-10-2023, 02:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think thanks to the propaganda that comes with war we can't really say we even know now the actual facts around that case and we have a situation where governments are keen to follow the Israeli narrative whilst journalists jobs is to find the truth - although sometimes journalists work towards finding a pre-conceived idea of the truth that reaches the desired conclusion.   And of course us as news consumers will often sway towards the reports which back our own point of view too.

The BBC get criticised whatever they do and so far the complaint count sees to be 50/50 which suggests there is a balance there.

I agree. Despite the right-wing press going into a frenzy over the last 2 weeks about the BBC's guidelines re. how they refer to Hamas (ironically, the likes of the Daily Mail seem more interested in running front pages along the lines of "Atrocious BBC" on Thursday just gone, rather than reporting anything of substance on the Middle East), the fact that there have been protests against the BBC from both Jewish AND pro-Palestinian groups (it was a pro-Palestinian group that daubed the front entrance of NBH with red paint last week) suggests that the BBC, for all its faults, must be getting something right in terms of balance. 

Jonathan Munro, Deputy CEO of BBC News, apologised yesterday for Jon Donnison's speculation about the Gaza hospital incident, and talks about the balance issue in its Middle East reporting: pressgazette.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie