BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(28-10-2023, 01:38 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  But marketable “shows” are important for advertising to be sold in targeted slots; for sale as a standalone “product” to other broadcasters (such as PBS) and to indicate a specific regional focus - such as Focus on Africa & World News America. They can also be a way of trying out a different approach to news “storytelling”, without impacting what the audience expects in a standard hour - Outside Source, as an example.
Obviously there are certain programmes that do have a purpose. I was primarily talking about the multi-hour semi-generic 'stranded' news programmes that make up the backbone of the channel where the branding doesn't particularly add anything, arguably even detracting from the main channel brand. 

Also, on top of marketability to advertisers and partners, branding programmes also serves as something to highlight an appointment-to-view nature to viewers. But nobody is treating News Now or Verified Live (or their predecessors) as appointment-to-view as they're effectively standard content - people tune in for BBC News, it should be branded as BBC News.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, LargelyALurker

And of course, there are 2023 bits and bobs around that look okay. Like the chameleon globe sting and the Reith logo on the studio screens. The chameleon sting could have easily been the basis for a new opener and the Reith logo on the studio screens could have easily been adapted for branded blocks. But now, it’s dodgy PowerPoint openers, boring AF studio pieces and supers that think we’re all imbeciles. 

I used to love watching World, but the supers, dull as dishwater bulletins and now an over reliance on DC and American news means it’s unwatchable. The one enjoyable bit for me remains the Singapore hours but even those aren’t the same without the NBH tie in for Newsday. Would love to see World News Asia in the evenings just like CNNI in its prime.
[-] The following 1 user Likes kookaburra's post:
  • GeeTeeKay474

Anna foster really is a talent on the channel
[-] The following 6 users Like GraemeT88's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, ilsondan15, London Lite, Scratch_Perry, smw

The chameleon sting is perhaps the element I find the most baffling - it’s beautifully produced, was clearly done new and - as has been said - would be a perfect building block. What happened between that being commissioned and all the other elements?! They’d be better just using that sting as titles than the red circles and blobs.
[-] The following 4 users Like steve's post:
  • AndrewP, GeeTeeKay474, Spencer, thePineapple

(28-10-2023, 11:23 AM)steve Wrote:  The chameleon sting is perhaps the element I find the most baffling - it’s beautifully produced, was clearly done new and - as has been said - would be a perfect building block. What happened between that being commissioned and all the other elements?! They’d be better just using that sting as titles than the red circles and blobs.

Yes and also matches the 2008 branding, which the circles don’t at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chris's post:
  • GeeTeeKay474

Are the onscreen graphics being generated separately for the UK/World version still?

They are live in Israel - on World it has the local time next to the live. It’s absent on the UK version.

Would have thought it was all identical bar the clock being added by now.
[-] The following 6 users Like Daveuk's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(28-10-2023, 09:12 AM)harshy Wrote:  20 years ago it was pretty much BBC World News with branded programmes on the half hour like Asia Today, World Sport, the only difference the presentation standards were extremely high back then and make good use of effectively a studio whacked in the heart of a newsroom. Now they have wonderful proper studio set but looks pointless as the presenter is left controlling their own autocue and therefore glued to their seat, it is a bit too basic and the branded shows no idea why they even bothered other then to create slots they could market abroad.

I’m not really sure I see much difference between then and now? It was hardly the most dynamic of presentation previously.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • harshy

(28-10-2023, 01:16 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I’m not really sure I see much difference between then and now? It was hardly the most dynamic of presentation previously.

Camera movements less dynamic but the titles, the headlines vamp, presentation package of the world news channel, the wonderful breakfillers, it made the channel feel special and premium, you knew you were watching the international news channel from the bbc.
[-] The following 12 users Like harshy's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, chrisherald, ilsondan15, itsrobert, Jayesyn, kookaburra, Quantum+83, Stuart, thePineapple

(28-10-2023, 11:23 AM)steve Wrote:  The chameleon sting is perhaps the element I find the most baffling - it’s beautifully produced, was clearly done new and - as has been said - would be a perfect building block. What happened between that being commissioned and all the other elements?! They’d be better just using that sting as titles than the red circles and blobs.
My theory is the sting and the matching Chameleon trailer endboards, etc. were designed by Wolf Ollins when they made the corresponding elements for all the other channels. But they weren’t commissioned to design anything else for BBC News because the in-house designers would be able to do it instead in order to save money, and so they’ve gone and done their own thing.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(28-10-2023, 01:38 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I agree, to a point.

But marketable “shows” are important for advertising to be sold in targeted slots; for sale as a standalone “product” to other broadcasters (such as PBS) and to indicate a specific regional focus - such as Focus on Africa & World News America. They can also be a way of trying out a different approach to news “storytelling”, without impacting what the audience expects in a standard hour - Outside Source, as an example.
Agree - but when every slot is branded it all becomes branding for the sake of it.   There is no visible difference really between the News Now, Verified Live and Daily Global slots.

It is much better to run "BBC News" for the bulk of the day but then have those key slots where they do something which is much more focused.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, ilsondan15, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple, TJTSW, UTVLifer