BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(30-10-2023, 11:59 AM)mccanmat Wrote:  Helen Young

Thank you! As soon as I read that I thought of course it was. 

Quote:The viewpoints aren't based on the physical studio building, they have just picked one for each region)
For some reason that seems to makes some of the backgrounds even worse. I assumed (shouldn’t do that I know) that they were views from the buildings only because some of the as the ones I’ve seen I didn’t think anyone would have purposely picked that view! Oh dear. I’m hoping in the east we go for the view out of the forum across to mancroft, the market and castle

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 2 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(30-10-2023, 09:15 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  For some reason that seems to makes some of the backgrounds even worse. I assumed (shouldn’t do that I know) that they were views from the buildings only because some of the as the ones I’ve seen I didn’t think anyone would have purposely picked that view! Oh dear. I’m hoping in the east we go for the view out of the forum across to mancroft, the market and castle
I've been saying for years, but these days it's eminently possible to create good quality 'montage' skylines including a mixture of urban and rural landmarks from across each region. Would be so much better than the often non-descript one-city-centric backdrops they currently use, and is basically in the same spirit as English regional title sequences for the past two decades.

It's not exactly the same, but BBC World News' original NBH London backdrops were idealised montages - to the extent I expect even some on here didn't realise - so it's clearly doable.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Stuart

(30-10-2023, 10:19 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Nicky Campbell is an odd choice but I think he’ll be fine, personally I was expecting either Sophie Raworth or Laura Kuenssberg to do the King’s Speech coverage with Huw absent

World always had a combo of the main close up and the side shot with the plasma screen, which livened things up significantly. Plus they would use the plasma screen for interviews as well, have guests in studio more often etc. It was very, very different than the one shot set up we have to endure now.
[-] The following 7 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, Superman1986, thePineapple

(30-10-2023, 09:50 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  World always had a combo of the main close up and the side shot with the plasma screen, which livened things up significantly. Plus they would use the plasma screen for interviews as well, have guests in studio more often etc. It was very, very different than the one shot set up we have to endure now.
This is true to an extent, I was being a little facetious, but the predominant shot in a standard bulletin back then was pretty much always the static standard MCU with the presenter at the desk. As indeed it has been for most BBC News programming forever - the dynamic camera movement, varied shots and mixed presentation of the first ten years of NBH were rather exceptional in that regard, though, to be fair, World were a little experimental during their N8 days.

Plus, to be honest, I have a soft spot for split-screen interviews and over-the-shoulder graphics when compared to using side screens - they're always just a bit too awkwardly positioned that it makes it hard to get a decent shot and it always seems a little redundant to have the presenter facing away from the desk (and often the camera) during DtLs. When HARDtalk was in C (which was never a good fit), for instance, I always felt it would give better camera angles if you had the DtL guest on one of the catwalk screens than one of the side screens.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • chrisherald

I see someone in ticker land can’t spell the word England correctly, they spelt it as Engand.
[-] The following 7 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, ilsondan15, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, UTVLifer

Lots of live expletive ridden news action this afternoon from the COVID inquiry. Every time a expletive is said, the UK feed news reader jumps in a few seconds later via audio only to apologize for the live swearing on air, before rejoining the action. This is even though the BBC have a graphic at the bottom saying "Warning: Coverage may contain expletives". Is the apologizing really needed?

Lots of F*** this and f*** that, the C*** word was just used!! At 4.33pm in the afternoon.

Not sure how Sky News are dealing with the bad language.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juicy Joe's post:
  • chrisherald

(31-10-2023, 05:33 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Lots of F*** this and f*** that, the C*** word was just used!! At 4.33pm in the afternoon.
I don't know how easy it is to insert 'bleeps' to cover such things, but if they think there is going to be bad language then wouldn't a 10 second delay allow this?

I appreciate it means removing the 'LIVE' DOG, but isn't that better than having an entire edition of Newswatch devoted to something which may well have actually offended some people. 

I'm certainly no 'shrinking violet', but I was surprised to hear it on TV in the middle of the afternoon.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer

So the only way to watch the world feed if you are in the UK is via a dodgy filmon stream? They should put the world feed on iplayer.
[-] The following 7 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, GeeTeeKay474, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple, UTVLifer

I mentioned this in the Sky News thread as its clearly a pooled feed so Sky News have spent more time apologising as well for the output, and then using the phrase "in language I can't repeat here" in the follow-up reports.

As to "LIVE Dog", well I would probably argue that we're already on a delay of some sort as it is what with the way digital TV works, and the feed is probably delayed anyway, so its probably best part of at least half a minute behind real time as it is.

House of Commons/Lords footage is on a delay of its own, about 40 seconds IIRC from real time, so not a new thing to say "Live" on something that happened best part of a minute ago Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

I expect (with me not being an expert here) there are rules that say certain language may not be broadcast before the watershed. I guess with the graphic and the audio apologies, this gets around this situation. Could any early evening show before 9pm also bypass this with a graphic apologizing for expletives, in theory?
[-] The following 2 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer