BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(02-11-2023, 09:27 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Does Lewis Vaughan Jones now have one of the presenter reporter roles? I’ve noticed he’s reporting on location quite frequently (he’s currently at Bletchley Park for the AI Summit) and has even made it into the countdown.

He’d be very suitable for one of the presenter reporter roles if he were appointed.
[-] The following 9 users Like AJB39's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, ilsondan15, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Rolling News, SuperSajuuk

Indeed, he regularly appeared in simulcast World News Today slots at the weekend in the old days (so would be familiar to viewers of both old channels) as well as shifts covering The Context and other programmes - sometime even generic bulletins. Since the merger, he has continued to regularly appear.

It would make sense for him to have one of the roles as he is good on location as well.
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Quantum+83

I forget the reason how Lewis is still presenting and not Kasia for example? Was it because they didn’t agree to new terms and Lewis did or was Lewis the successful candidate?

Not been in my usual place can’t say I’ve enjoyed the Uk feed of the channel I’ll be glad to have the option again to turn the dish nine degrees westwards and be able to watch the global feed in full glorious HD.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • chrisherald

(03-11-2023, 10:02 AM)harshy Wrote:  Not been in my usual place can’t say I’ve enjoyed the Uk feed of the channel I’ll be glad to have the option again to turn the dish nine degrees westwards and be able to watch the global feed in full glorious HD.

If you're in the UK and you want to watch the global channel at the moment, you can. There's a live stream on iPlayer called "Israel-Gaza war" and as apparently there's no other news happening around the world at the moment, 90% of the time it's a stream of the global channel.

Ironically, I've watched less of BBC News in the last month than I have this entire year. The BBC's obsession with the middle east at the expense of nearly all other news is not for me. There's still a war in Ukraine as well, although you wouldn't know it at the moment.
[-] The following 6 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • ACTV, BlightyExPat, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, Spencer, Stuart

(03-11-2023, 11:56 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  The BBC's obsession with the middle east at the expense of nearly all other news is not for me. There's still a war in Ukraine as well, although you wouldn't know it at the moment.
I wonder if the BBC is worried of the backlash they may receive if they are deemed to not give the situation "proper" or "fair" coverage.

Certainly the feeling towards it domestically is quite strong.

Just the other day M&S was dragged over the coals for posting an outtake photo from their Christmas campaign which some commentators on-line perceived as cryptically supporting one side of the conflict.

With the various accusations thrown about that the BBC are biased from both sides of the conflict, I wonder if they're trying to counter these in some way.

I can't say much for the television news output, but I do think the radio news is a bit more editorially balanced.

I understand that political comment isn't encouraged on this forum, I hope I've not crossed the line.

In pure "news development" terms, I think the situation is going to be lot more fast-moving in the Middle East than in the Ukraine.
I'd say the level of news coverage is akin to how much time was devoted when Russia began its invasion.

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 1 user Likes AndrewP's post:
  • chrisherald

They showed across the Uk with the red straps except it had the old bbc news logo…
[-] The following 4 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald

On another topic, what's the reason why World News America is not available to UK viewers? Just because it's on live at 10pm UK time, that doesn't mean it can't be repeated for UK viewers later, say at 11:30pm instead of Hardtalk.
You could argue a much better use of the 10:30-11pm slot would be an immediate repeat of WNA for UK viewers, but I guess it's too much of a sensible suggestion and it would cut out 40 mins of premium UK simulcast content from the schedule.......

At the very least WNA could be made available on iPlayer. The next 12 months is going to be a year of big US news and a repeat of WNA in the late night schedule for UK viewers, and/or a showing on iPlayer, would serve an audience of people who want a bulletin of US focussed news without the filler and chat on The Context.
[-] The following 5 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, ilsondan15, Stuart

World News America is individual programme paid for by a number of parties. Therefore if BBC (UK) does not pay towards it, it cannot be broadcast.

(03-11-2023, 01:39 PM)watchingtv Wrote:  World News America is individual programme paid for by a number of parties. Therefore if BBC (UK) does not pay towards it, it cannot be broadcast.

So is this a new arrangement? WNA has been broadcast in the UK before. It was regularly repeated late night on the News Channel in the late 2000s & early 2010s, and even now, if the Ten is delayed for whatever reason, WNA will be shown in the UK instead.
So WNA is definitely not banned from being broadcast in the UK.
[-] The following 4 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, thePineapple