BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(08-11-2023, 05:25 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Katty's tweeted a preview for her new series, which includes a look at the titles

x.com 

sounds like stock music.
[-] The following 3 users Like Hemsright's post:
  • chrisherald, ivlm001, seenee

Apologies for the double post, but the edit window on my last post has closed!

Looking at the tweet, the associated press release is from BBC Studios (which is probably no coincidence) and they refer to “audio versions available on BBC iPlayer in the UK - surely they mean video on iPlayer & audio on Sounds?

Also, the reference to extended versions on BBC Select in North America indicates that this is very much a project from the commercial side of the BBC.

It all sounds a bit like the “going beyond the news” type programming, deeper into discussion around the issues of the day, that Katty originally wanted to do when she left the BBC, and would probably have been doing on Ozy if that had been a success.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald

I don’t want to be negative as it must be difficult to fill that bit of time leading up to 11o’clock for the two minute silence but I thought this year it was awful.

Maybe I’m remembering wrong but didnt they used to do an early weather then go back to the studio with about a minute or two to go. By the time they’d welcomed you to the special bbc news observing the two min silence etc it was then near enough time for the chimes. 

I just felt for Ben and the reporter whose name I missed. There isn’t a huge amount to say that hasn’t been said years before but it was just became inane drivel. They just seemed to repeat the words solemn, poignant, remembering, national/nation and moment but in a different order. I did feel sorry for him when he messed up the 11hour of the 11day of the 11 month. From that point he seemed to totally loose confidence and just rambled. 

Anyone else for a moment thought the BBC Oneness had returned!! That was just odd. Id rather have shots of people actually doing it not a group who were positioned for the camera, it looses its meaning as it’s feels it’s all set up for the camera.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 4 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bax, bkman1990, chrisherald

(11-11-2023, 12:16 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Anyone else for a moment thought the BBC Oneness had returned!! That was just odd. Id rather have shots of people actually doing it not a group who were positioned for the camera, it looses its meaning as it’s feels it’s all set up for the camera.

The mountain rescue team and the group of sea swimmers did give off very high Oneness flashbacks
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bax, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(11-11-2023, 12:16 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I don’t want to be negative as it must be difficult to fill that bit of time leading up to 11o’clock for the two minute silence but I thought this year it was awful.

Maybe I’m remembering wrong but didnt they used to do an early weather then go back to the studio with about a minute or two to go. By the time they’d welcomed you to the special bbc news observing the two min silence etc it was then near enough time for the chimes. 

I just felt for Ben and the reporter whose name I missed. There isn’t a huge amount to say that hasn’t been said years before but it was just became inane drivel. They just seemed to repeat the words solemn, poignant, remembering, national/nation and moment but in a different order. I did feel sorry for him when he messed up the 11hour of the 11day of the 11 month. From that point he seemed to totally loose confidence and just rambled. 

Anyone else for a moment thought the BBC Oneness had returned!! That was just odd. Id rather have shots of people actually doing it not a group who were positioned for the camera, it looses its meaning as it’s feels it’s all set up for the camera.
It’s at these sort of moments that you really miss the presenters who continue to be on paid absence. Ben is good but he’s not at the level of the missing presenters.
[-] The following 5 users Like AJB39's post:
  • AndrewP, BlightyExPat, callumwatchestelly, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(11-11-2023, 12:27 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  It’s at these sort of moments that you really miss the presenters who continue to be on paid absence. Ben is good but he’s not at the level of the missing presenters.

I really rate Ben, I think he was a massive missed opportunity for breakfast. He’s very at being able to do the breakfast emotion switch from serious to more relaxed and joking and then back to serious. I also like his very relaxed style and whenever I’ve seen him interview someone I’ve been impressed. Give him more time I think he’d be a contender for the networks bulletins.

But I think something like remembrance does need someone, I don’t want to use the word more senior, who can fill and can deal with the build up and post silence.  A safe pair of hands. 

It being a Saturday may not help but you could also do with a bbc news special led by one of the network team as they’d be in the building. It would just give it that “national event” feel.  As the national broadcaster I think it’s the only time the news channel could get away with being 100% UK focused. 

Like you say, we’ve seen the benched presenters as well as those who have left do it and it was much more polished. 

A positive though, I am so glad that they didn’t do a UK opt out and use the newsroom studio.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 12 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, arbrax, bax, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Reith85, Scratch_Perry, UTVLifer

(11-11-2023, 12:26 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The mountain rescue team and the group of sea swimmers did give off very high Oneness flashbacks

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

[-] The following 8 users Like thegeek's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, Quantum+83, thomalex

(11-11-2023, 12:56 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I really rate Ben, I think he was a massive missed opportunity for breakfast. He’s very at being able to do the breakfast emotion switch from serious to more relaxed and joking and then back to serious. I also like his very relaxed style and whenever I’ve seen him interview someone I’ve been impressed. Give him more time I think he’d be a contender for the networks bulletins.

But I think something like remembrance does need someone, I don’t want to use the word more senior, who can fill and can deal with the build up and post silence.  A safe pair of hands. 

It being a Saturday may not help but you could also do with a bbc news special led by one of the network team as they’d be in the building. It would just give it that “national event” feel.  As the national broadcaster I think it’s the only time the news channel could get away with being 100% UK focused. 

Like you say, we’ve seen the benched presenters as well as those who have left do it and it was much more polished. 

A positive though, I am so glad that they didn’t do a UK opt out and use the newsroom studio.
Although Ben stood down from presenting the business news on Breakfast (his role was taken by another Ben - Ben Boulos), he is still part of the set-up as an ad-hoc relief presenter, and is more likely to be "the next in line" if either Jon Kay or Charlie Stayt move on.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scratch_Perry's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald

Sky News has pretty much been non-stop rolling news coverage of the London protest marches over the last three to four hours. A stark contrast to BBC News where, whenever I've turned over, it's pre-recorded packages.
[-] The following 7 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, matthieu1221, Quantum+83

(11-11-2023, 05:05 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  Sky News has pretty much been non-stop rolling news coverage of the London protest marches over the last three to four hours. A stark contrast to BBC News where, whenever I've turned over, it's pre-recorded packages.

The BBC have replayed their exclusive with Macron a few times from when I've zapped through, sometimes with a window showing the march in Central London, sometimes without it unfortunately.
[-] The following 4 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Reith85, UTVLifer