BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Was there ever a reason given why they can’t use Studio E with a locked off camera instead of the balcony?
[-] The following 2 users Like Chud's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

I'd argue it's going to be difficult to justify bringing Nicky Campbell's phone-in back to the News Channel. It was launched to much fanfare by management as being a "premium" UK-only program for UK news channel viewers, yet it was quietly cut in half during August and has been dropped altogether for the last 6 weeks as soon as there's been a major international news story.

Next year is hardly going to be a quiet year for news, with the build-up to next year's widely expected UK general election having already started, the build-up to the US Presidential election, and no doubt the conflicts in the Middle East and Ukraine will be rumbling on. So viewers will have now come to expect actual news on the channel from 9am every morning.
[-] The following 11 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, bax, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, kookaburra, matthieu1221, SuperSajuuk, Universal_r, UTVLifer

(17-11-2023, 09:40 AM)Chud Wrote:  Was there ever a reason given why they can’t use Studio E with a locked off camera instead of the balcony?
The initial plans were that Studio E would be upgraded to a new set, which would then become the main studio for the channel. Given that certain weekend bulletins are still in E, that plan has clearly been delayed or abandoned, with wider plans not adjusted to make use of the resource. 

Additionally, the decision was made to move network control for the UK channel into Studio A's gallery, which is also gallery for the opt studio. While you could have a presenter in E with output controlled from A, that would be a bit more complex.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Chud, harshy, interestednovice, UTVLifer

(08-11-2023, 05:25 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Katty's tweeted a preview for her new series, which includes a look at the titles

x.com 
This is the first edition of Katty's programme.
youtu.be 

Sad to see the Helvetica persisted in the credit notice. Also why a boxed BBC News logo at the endcap? The dark red here looked more purplish. The stacked wordmark version probably sits more flush next to BBC Studios.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 7 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, oscillon, UTVLifer

(17-11-2023, 04:16 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  This is the first edition of Katty's programme.
youtu.be 

Sad to see the Helvetica persisted in the credit notice. Also why a boxed BBC News logo at the endcap? The dark red here looked more purplish. The stacked wordmark version probably sits more flush next to BBC Studios.

Equally baffling why the UK feed of BBC News needs the lower straps with no headlines running - I *think* on programming like this the World feed opts to just have a white BBC News logo (no straps).
[-] The following 7 users Like mnlbay's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, oscillon, W. Knight

I don’t know what the global feed of the channel does now, but it certainly used to be what I’d basically describe as a “white DOG” just saying BBC World News, in the same place the ticker usually appears, just without the ticker showing. But that was back pre-merger obviously.

Confirmation there on the endcap of Katty’s show too that it’s a BBC Studios production for BBC News, as we suspected.

That video also reminds me of something: why can’t the global channel do BOTH summaries any more? I know the answer is that for some of the overnight hours, Asia Business Report is airing but this was 3:30am (already into “Washington time”) so why does the Washington presenter not pop up to do a quick headline summary as the Newsday London presenter or London overnights presenter used to do in the good old days? This would give the additional benefit of having the presenter introduce the following programme instead of a generic graphic. India would also benefit from this massively as they used a .5 the hour time zone - and that’s a big BBC market.
[-] The following 9 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, W. Knight

It still shows the white dog on global feed except for programmes from Singapore and sports day where the white bbc news dog is in a slim red box.
[-] The following 5 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Superman1986

I think that’s because of Singapore’s limited graphics output capabilities. Much like how the programme name slug is non-standard during Asia Business Report and they can’t quite do the headlines with proper wipes and placement. The red box does not appear above the headline text.

Basically, as I understand it, they don’t have the same Viz capabilities as London and (now they have an upgraded gallery) Washington.

Singapore still can’t produce their output independently and make it look the same, whereas Washington now can.
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AIB01WB, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(17-11-2023, 08:05 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I think that’s because of Singapore’s limited graphics output capabilities. Much like how the programme name slug is non-standard during Asia Business Report and they can’t quite do the headlines with proper wipes and placement. The red box does not appear above the headline text.

Basically, as I understand it, they don’t have the same Viz capabilities as London and (now they have an upgraded gallery) Washington.

Singapore still can’t produce their output independently and make it look the same, whereas Washington now can.
So does the Washington output produce everything including the lower thirds ? London no involvement?

(17-11-2023, 08:05 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I think that’s because of Singapore’s limited graphics output capabilities. Much like how the programme name slug is non-standard during Asia Business Report and they can’t quite do the headlines with proper wipes and placement. The red box does not appear above the headline text.

But why not? I'm not asking this in a whiny way btw - is it due to cost? staffing? training? tech limitations? all of the above?