BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Seems to have been a problem with one of the cameras on this evening's Six. Around halfway through, Sophie was presenting at the tower and the camera appeared to get stuck. I think said camera stayed offline for the rest of the show, as the weather was done from a very odd angle.

Edited to add: sorry, too slow typing!
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

(20-11-2023, 07:30 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Presumably a camera is out if action in studio B as a different camera is being used for the weather. It comes from the opposite angle and has the edge of the guest part of the desk in shot.
Great investment, they were. Definitely not indulgent at all  🙄
[-] The following 4 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, DTV

(20-11-2023, 08:08 PM)kookaburra Wrote:  Great investment, they were. Definitely not indulgent at all  🙄

Any system will develop a fault occasionally. Tomasz didn't seem to have an issue so they probably had rehearsed a failure of that camera and just reverted to the contingency.

What would happen if that main presenter camera in studio C stopped working, I wonder if it would revert to the now rare shot of presenter with screen next to them.

(20-11-2023, 09:02 PM)harshy Wrote:  What would happen if that main presenter camera in studio C stopped working, I wonder if it would revert to the now rare shot of presenter with screen next to them.
Move to Studio E until it was fixed.

I have to say, I really did strongly prefer the shot of “presenter with screen next to them” and, despite it being the default for months now, I can’t warm to the new default shot at all. Everything is a bit too flat, a bit too zoomed-in, too generic with the washed-out fake newsroom background and nothing else on screen and simply boring.

The old angled shot gave a bit of interest, showed off the studio, allowed to more seamlessly transition into interviewing a guest and was more forgiving with the low-pitch backdrop screens as they were, literally, further away from the camera. The skyline backdrops looked so good too, they hid the limitations of the screens perfectly. It was all very clearly “as designed”, whereas the new shot never looks right. It’s like there is no depth to the studio, when in reality there is, and hiding the desk and almost everything except for the presenter’s head appears unnatural.

My only real bugbear is the red opaque strap being used for EVERYTHING. I was never a fan of text being shown across the screen for every single report which was introduced in April, but it wasn't so bad when they still used the nice black transparent strap for non breaking stories, as at least you could tell what story was a breaking or developing one if they used red. Plus it looked quite nice. But since the updates in June, it's looked ridiculous. Also the bar at the bottom of the screen looked better in transparent black before it became red.

And I've never liked the chameleon titles. Botched is too nice a word to describe them. Plus don't get me started on the titles for Verified Live etc.

But other than that, I guess it's not that bad. Yes it's not as exciting or as vivid as in 2013, when they had more funding and a wider variety of shots and backdrops were used and presenters were able to roam more freely, and weren't having to control an autocue, but we are where we are.
[-] The following 11 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, GeeTeeKay474, interestednovice, ivlm001, Jayesyn, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(21-11-2023, 12:31 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  Plus don't get me started on the titles for Verified Live etc.
I presume someone got a spirogragh for Christmas last year.  It's just a shame they were allowed to use it on screen.

[-] The following 11 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AJB39, chaose, chrisherald, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Reith85, Rolling News, Spencer, thePineapple, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(21-11-2023, 01:02 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I presume someone got a spirogragh for Christmas last year.  It's just a shame they were allowed to use it on screen.
I’m always put in mind of an old Windows screen saver when I see those titles.
[-] The following 5 users Like Spencer's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, rkolsen, Rolling News, Stuart

I do feel like Dua Lipa's BBC Sounds podcast opener looks more on-brand than BBC News' own efforts...
youtu.be 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 6 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, SlimyTrain, thePineapple, TJTSW