BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(25-11-2023, 01:06 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Presenter wise I don't see much changing either as much as now would be the perfect time for a 1999 style realignment of the main roles.    That's not seen as important nowadays and practically it probably makes more sense to have a team across the 6/10 doing fewer days but doubling up more often.
Aside from, IMV, the semi-rotating core team working quite well, I think, given what has happened, it does make a bit of sense to have the news as more 'team-oriented' than having a hierarchy of individuals.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

(25-11-2023, 01:18 PM)DTV Wrote:  Aside from, IMV, the semi-rotating core team working quite well, I think, given what has happened, it does make a bit of sense to have the news as more 'team-oriented' than having a hierarchy of individuals.

I’m more inclined towards the ITV News model of specific bulletin presenters as it helps differentiate them. The length and presentation of ITV’s programmes also helps. 

I find the presentation of BBC News at 1 / 6 / 10 so similar and sterile that it just feels like I’m dipping into “the News” rather than a curated programme.
[-] The following 5 users Like chris's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Radio_man, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(25-11-2023, 02:27 PM)chris Wrote:  I’m more inclined towards the ITV News model of specific bulletin presenters as it helps differentiate them. The length and presentation of ITV’s programmes also helps. 

I find the presentation of BBC News at 1 / 6 / 10 so similar and sterile that it just feels like I’m dipping into “the News” rather than a curated programme.

They aren't ever likely to change that. Aren't they usually the most watched news programmes with little variation in output, as you say its simply "the news".
[-] The following 2 users Like freeview87's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

(25-11-2023, 02:27 PM)chris Wrote:  I’m more inclined towards the ITV News model of specific bulletin presenters as it helps differentiate them. The length and presentation of ITV’s programmes also helps. 

I'd agree - it's obviously not something they're able to do until things are resolved, and presumably until any decision on the 1 is made, but some distinctness would be worthwhile and with a studio basically made up of screen not that difficult to achieve. The 10 in E looked different with the blue lighting of the newsroom, now it's all just stark white.
[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, chris, chrisherald

Especially since Huw's suspension, there's virtually nothing to differentiate the 10 from the 6. In recent months, most nights it's had the same presenter as the 6 and sometimes even the same running order.
When Huw was appointed as main presenter of the 10, it was seen as the flagship bulletin. There's nothing that distinguishes any of the BBC 1 bulletins from each other anymore, and it's pot luck who'll be presenting from amongst the regular team (although you're more likely to see Sophie at 6 than any other time).

There's nothing particularly wrong with having a team of presenters to draw on for news bulletins and big state events, but I think having Nicky Campbell anchor the State opening of Parliament has been a low point. There's value in having 1 or 2 senior presenters for these kind of big state and political events, and Huw was the perfect presenter and anchor. 

Personally I prefer the ITV News approach of having a named person as the main presenter of a bulletin. It distinguishes a bulletin and gives viewers familiarity.
[-] The following 3 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, chris, chrisherald

I think before the Israel-Gaza War, things had become more settled even if it wasn’t intentional. Generally speaking, the One had Jane or Ben. The Six had Sophie most nights with Fiona on Mondays. The Ten was almost Clive or Reeta. Saturdays were generally Jane or Ben with Clive or Reeta doing Sundays. Then with Mishal, Tina and Maryam as relief. (Although they were clearly stretched as they were bringing the likes of Katya Adler in). It’s only since the war developed and they sent Clive and Reeta out to Israel things have became a bit less predictable again.

I agree that it would be nice to see the 1/6/10 bulletins have their own designated presenters again, but then I also agree it makes sense to have more of a “team” vibe with everything that’s happened and see presenters covering various bulletins with each other. I think most viewers are familiar with most of the BBC News presenters for them to appear as and when needed.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, RhysJR

Not sure whether having Fiona continue to do one day a week is a help or a hindrance to BBC News. Feels more of an issue that day being a Monday than if it was a Friday, as was the initial arrangement.

I think if they wanted to they could name Sophie as the main 6pm presenter and Clive as the main 10pm presenter, with a third (probably Reeta) as relief for both - but I do think if they ever announce anything more formal they'll just name a team of three as the presenters of the Six and the Ten, with them appearing across both - even if Sophie and Clive are more regularly on the 6/10 respectively.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, GMc

(25-11-2023, 06:49 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Especially since Huw's suspension, there's virtually nothing to differentiate the 10 from the 6. In recent months, most nights it's had the same presenter as the 6 and sometimes even the same running order.
That is one negative of the same presenter presenting both on the same night

If the running order is very similar, and the same presenter is reading the news the same word for word, it feels like the Ten is just a repeat of the Six, so why bother watching both. Different presenters with different styles makes it feel less like a repeat.

I’m not sure it helps that studio B is pretty closely associated with Huw. He was the one who launched it, presenting more bulletins than normal in the first few weeks, he was the one who mostly embraced the new tech like the touch screen, and was the only one to stride across the studio when introducing the regions.

I presume Fiona must only want to do one bulletin a week and never anymore. Even at the height of being short staffed with Clive was in Israel etc she still didn’t do any more bulletins
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • chrisherald

Do many people watch both bulletins though - why put yourself through the misery of the world twice?
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, LargelyALurker

(25-11-2023, 08:52 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I’m not sure it helps that studio B is pretty closely associated with Huw. He was the one who launched it, presenting more bulletins than normal in the first few weeks, he was the one who mostly embraced the new tech like the touch screen, and was the only one to stride across the studio when introducing the 

I doubt people will remember. With the greatest of respect, none of the current presenters including H.E are really that iconic. They are not in the same category of your Trevor Mcdonald or Angela Rippon. They are rather flat and generic and “safe”, like much of the modern world.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 237's post:
  • chrisherald