BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(02-01-2024, 04:36 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  @LDN - not saying your points are not valid, but I would kindly ask you to reconsider the way you are wording these posts - you are being a bit OTT with your language in my opinion.

I know this post will be deleted but I need to say it…

What’s wrong with being OTT? What’s wrong with upsetting people. If you’re passionate about something you should have the right to say it.

If people are rubbish they deserve being called out. If they’re great they deserve praise.

We live in an overly sanitised world and it’s not doing anyone any good.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 9 users Like Moz's post:
  • Alf Stewart, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, itsrobert, JayCasey, LDN, SuperSajuuk

(02-01-2024, 08:52 PM)kookaburra Wrote:  Steve Lai has started as chief presenter in Singapore. And oh my heavens this graphic…

Does nobody at the BBC News Channel actually see what is being put out anymore?

I just don't see how anybody involved in graphic design or television more generally could see that graphic and think it looks good.
[-] The following 10 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, LDN, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(02-01-2024, 11:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Does nobody at the BBC News Channel actually see what is being put out anymore?

I just don't see how anybody involved in graphic design or television more generally could see that graphic and think it looks good.

I think they just loaded up the wrong template somehow!

Newsday graphics appear in that circle all the time. The Newsday logo is supposed to be there at the start of the bulletin. But, seemingly instead, the “default” of a BBC News slide has appeared. This will likely just be an accident.

I don’t expect to see this regularly!
[-] The following 7 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bax, bkman1990, harshy, oscillon, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(02-01-2024, 11:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Does nobody at the BBC News Channel actually see what is being put out anymore?

I've got to agree. It's like all quality control and good judgement has been thrown out of the window (along with many reliable employees) since last April at BBC News.
[-] The following 3 users Like Reith85's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

OK, a mistake in this case but even ignoring the framing of the graphic in the circle the circle itself in front of the curved studio screens doesn't look great either. It would probably look much better in front of a flat CSO style background.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:

I personally always thought it looked a bit funky, but the concept does seem quite interesting (to me)
Although at its core it's essentially a glorified version of the old graphics over the shoulder before 2003.

What's stopping them from using the screens? It could be like a mini Barco

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 3 users Like AndrewP's post:

Again, it’s just templates.

This view appears over-the-shoulder out of the window with the backdrop of Singapore (what you can see of it, anyway) but the screens are sometimes used instead if it’s dark or the view out the window isn’t good due to rain or whatever.

The same graphic is used either way, and the desk just rotates.

The “curved” look is because the Singapore studio is based on the old NBH studios - it’s similar to Studio C & E, with a catwalk that is clearly inspired by them, but uses a desk more like old Studio B.

Of course, when the studio first launched that was the current style of BBC News.
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

It would be better if they installed a tower instead of the circle graphic to match with the rest of BBC News.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 2 users Like Moz's post:
  • chrisherald, LDN

Spending any money on Singapore? Never
[-] The following 2 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

Although we’d probably like everything consistent, the current setup is that each location has a distinctive style which, while still BBC News, is slightly different.

Both Washington & Singapore look far better now than 10 years ago, so there is very little incentive to change.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald