BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(24-01-2024, 07:06 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  With Look East beginning its stint in a temporary set tonight, which other English regions are left to get the LED set besides Salford?

Plymouth, St Helier & Newcastle are still in temporary sets

(24-01-2024, 07:06 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  With Look East beginning its stint in a temporary set tonight, which other English regions are left to get the LED set besides Salford?

I think it’s just Newcastle (already in temp set), Plymouth and Salford left to go. I gather Salford will be the final one.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Stuart, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(24-01-2024, 04:06 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  Would Katty not be appearing free of charge to BBC News is a supposed advertising effort for BBC Studios in the way that various newspaper reporters appear on the various paper reviews rather than as a paid for appear?
If she was to present a programme that would have to be a paid for appearance but simply appearing as a panelist (in a place that would typically be filled by a non-BBC voice) is surely more along the lines of an external contributor than a BBC employee.

I’m not sure to be honest, which was partly why I mentioned it.

It’s possible that BBC Studios didn’t pay for it, although aren’t some contributors also paid for their time (so not all appear free anyway)?
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • chem0026

BBC News at One Weather in Studio B went a bit awry this afternoon. Ben Brown handed to Louise Lear (I think), the usual camera was focused on the screen from it's normal 50° angle. It then started panning anticlockwise back towards Ben Brown before stopping, who was sniggering at the desk. Louise said something like it looks like we're not going to be able to bring you the weather, I'll hand you back to Ben. The long range shot they usualy use where the newsreader handing over to the weather presenter was used briefly. Another camera must have got into position by then and they carried on with the weather from there. It was angled opposite where it is normally located, which meant Louise had her back towards the camera and had to crick her neck and turn right around to face the viewers. However, it was more of a straight on shot than usual so to me, appeared better, other than having to look right around around which must have been a bit awkward. Louise said she was glad it was over at the end and Ben and her shared a bit of banter with the excuse it must be the wind blowing the cameras around - ho ho ho LOL's etc.
[-] The following 4 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, RhysJR

She threw Ben under the bus a bit there as much as to say, you sort it out and fill the time!
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, watchingtv

(25-01-2024, 07:14 PM)Andrew Wrote:  She threw Ben under the bus a bit there as much as to say, you sort it out and fill the time!

Do they have the headlines ready to go in case they run under? If so he should be able to pick up easily and then hand to the regions who could have been advised they opt might be a bit earlier than planned.

(25-01-2024, 07:14 PM)Andrew Wrote:  She threw Ben under the bus a bit there as much as to say, you sort it out and fill the time!

Normally the weather presenter can carry on, just either with little or no visuals. Or at least a drawn out summary. So unless Louise mis heard the camera cue to Ben as a hand back to Ben, then it was a bit off.
[-] The following 2 users Like watchingtv's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

They may initially have been planning to drop the forecast entirely, before realising they could make it work with a different camera angle.

As Louise said, she was glad it was over - so it sounded like there was a bit of quick-thinking in the gallery and it would have been normal to hand back to Ben if they needed to drop the forecast and he was going to throw to the regions instead.

Not necessarily just Louise panicking and throwing it over to Ben, and after all the main presenter is the one who has the responsibility to keep the programme running properly!

I thought both Louise & Ben handled it rather well, all things considered. Especially Louise having to deal with that awkward angle, without any planning for that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald

Just noticed that the UK feed is taking WNA and Talking Business tomorrow night as the News at 10 is starting later due The Traitors final being extended until 22:10 on BBC One, with an extended Uncloaked then pushing Newsnight's start to 22:50 on Two
[-] The following 2 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • chrisherald, Rolling News

(25-01-2024, 08:30 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  They may initially have been planning to drop the forecast entirely, before realising they could make it work with a different camera angle.

As Louise said, she was glad it was over - so it sounded like there was a bit of quick-thinking in the gallery and it would have been normal to hand back to Ben if they needed to drop the forecast and he was going to throw to the regions instead.

Not necessarily just Louise panicking and throwing it over to Ben, and after all the main presenter is the one who has the responsibility to keep the programme running properly!

I thought both Louise & Ben handled it rather well, all things considered. Especially Louise having to deal with that awkward angle, without any planning for that.

At least it was Louise, some of the other presenters may have struggled. Maybe Tomasz would have joked it off like her though.
[-] The following 2 users Like robrymond's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice