BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

It perhaps depends on how the “new” Chief Presenters are going to appear on screen. I initially thought that they’d most likely just fill in the vacant slots, primarily in the morning. But perhaps they are actually planning on launching one or more branded programmes for them?

There is a gap before BBC News Now which could have a branded strand, and personally I’d like to see The Briefing return.

It seems a bit crazy that we had “the interim period” last March, then a very low-key “launch” of the merged channel in April, followed by gradual tweaks all year, and even now the final position of the channel is not settled.

It does make you wonder if the BBC are rethinking elements of the whole thing, especially in this election year?
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald, Rolling News

(17-02-2024, 11:24 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  According to the schedules week commencing 26 February the 7pm slot is still The Daily Global. Originally I thought it was changing to The World Today in January.

I presume it’s still happening as Maryam has tweeted a few times about spending a lot of time in preparation for it, so maybe it’s been delayed further, perhaps to coincide with the ‘new’ chief presenters and a whole new schedule starting?

And also perhaps to coincide with Studio E changes.
[-] The following 7 users Like Lec_Ver16's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, interestednovice, oscillon, Rolling News, UTVLifer

Yesterday they didn’t play out the daily global titles properly it kind of jumped and the lower third headlines were a few pixel up as well.

I'm not even sure how this one has happened, but everything seems to have moved up

[-] The following 5 users Like arbrax's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, thePineapple

(18-02-2024, 08:58 PM)conrad73 Wrote:  Absolutely ridiculous BBC News alerts letting everyone know who's won what BAFTA before they are announced.

Time to delete.

And Katie Razzall was breaking some results when reporting from the red carpet during the evening BBC One bulletin (she did do a variation of the sport news classic of look away now).
[-] The following 4 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, conrad73

(18-02-2024, 01:06 PM)arbrax Wrote:  I'm not even sure how this one has happened, but everything seems to have moved up
Yes exactly that it’s now gone up a few pixels but how.

(18-02-2024, 09:36 PM)harshy Wrote:  Yes exactly that it’s now gone up a few pixels but how.
I did notice this for a few seconds the other day, though it was in the context of a UK opt out finishing, Gallery A taking the Studio C output at the top of the hour, which had the raised graphics, then once the official opt back to C was made 5/10 seconds into the hour, the graphics jumped back to their normal placement.
[-] The following 3 users Like PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, harshy

(18-02-2024, 08:58 PM)conrad73 Wrote:  Absolutely ridiculous BBC News alerts letting everyone know who's won what BAFTA before they are announced.

Time to delete.
I've just noticed that they're still using the flipper for breaking news alerts on that topic at 05:51, during serious discussions about business and international news.

Someone winning a media award is not breaking news in any way whatsoever, and especially the following day. Angry
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Nige, UTVLifer

Time to delete.

And that won’t be the biggest complaint about the BBC’s BAFTAs coverage:

x.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, conrad73

Time to delete.
That was rather frustrating last night, as the alert came over an hour before those awards were shown on TV. By all means they could/should create an article on their website for it, and even announce it on the News channel for those not watching it. However, the breaking news alert spoils it a bit for those watching, as well as it being one of many misuses (in my opinion) of the 'Breaking News' alerts.

Maybe it's time the BBC News app allowed users the option to choose what 'breaking news' alerts they receive, if they're hellbent on increasing using it for things that don't really warrant a breaking news alert.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 10 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, conrad73, interestednovice, James, London Lite, Rxtx, Stuart, SuperSajuuk