BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(19-02-2024, 10:51 AM)Keith Wrote:  That was rather frustrating last night, as the alert came over an hour before those awards were shown on TV. By all means they could/should create an article on their website for it, and even announce it on the News channel for those not watching it. However, the breaking news alert spoils it a bit for those watching, as well as it being one of many misuses (in my opinion) of the 'Breaking News' alerts.

Maybe it's time the BBC News app allowed users the option to choose what 'breaking news' alerts they receive, if they're hellbent on increasing using it for things that don't really warrant a breaking news alert.

On Android devices you can see how many alerts you get from the BBC News app. I have all notification types selected and apparently get an average of 4 "Breaking News" and 4 "Top Story" alerts per day. Looking through my notification history, the BAFTA alert was classed as a "Top Story" alert and not a "Breaking News" alert. As I mentioned before, on Android you have the ability to activate/deactivate each of the different types individually (Settings > Apps > BBC News > Notifications). From some quick online research, I believe that there is similar granularity on iOS (again, you need to access the iOS notification settings for the app, these are not options in the app itself) but I can't be 100% certain.
[-] The following 3 users Like Apples's post:
  • chrisherald, Keith, RhysJR

(19-02-2024, 12:38 PM)Apples Wrote:  On Android devices you can see how many alerts you get from the BBC News app. I have all notification types selected and apparently get an average of 4 "Breaking News" and 4 "Top Story" alerts per day. Looking through my notification history, the BAFTA alert was classed as a "Top Story" alert and not a "Breaking News" alert. As I mentioned before, on Android you have the ability to activate/deactivate each of the different types individually (Settings > Apps > BBC News > Notifications). From some quick online research, I believe that there is similar granularity on iOS (again, you need to access the iOS notification settings for the app, these are not options in the app itself) but I can't be 100% certain.

It doesn’t appear possible on iPhone either in the app itself or in the general settings.

(19-02-2024, 12:38 PM)Apples Wrote:  On Android devices you can see how many alerts you get from the BBC News app. I have all notification types selected and apparently get an average of 4 "Breaking News" and 4 "Top Story" alerts per day. Looking through my notification history, the BAFTA alert was classed as a "Top Story" alert and not a "Breaking News" alert. As I mentioned before, on Android you have the ability to activate/deactivate each of the different types individually (Settings > Apps > BBC News > Notifications). From some quick online research, I believe that there is similar granularity on iOS (again, you need to access the iOS notification settings for the app, these are not options in the app itself) but I can't be 100% certain.
Well you learn something new every day. I had clicked on the notification settings, but as it took me to my phone's settings screen I didn't bother looking at the 'notification categories' option. I suspect that many other people are probably also unaware of that feature, and I've now changed it. I might check a few other apps on my phone to see if they also have a similar setting, which I'm guessing is utilising and Android OS feature.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Keith's post:
  • Apples, chrisherald, RhysJR

(19-02-2024, 02:31 PM)Keith Wrote:  Well you learn something new every day. I had clicked on the notification settings, but as it took me to my phone's settings screen I didn't bother looking at the 'notification categories' option. I suspect that many other people are probably also unaware of that feature, and I've now changed it. I might check a few other apps on my phone to see if they also have a similar setting, which I'm guessing is utilising and Android OS feature.

Worthy to point out that many apps do infact integrate the Notification Categories into their app, so that you can set it within the app and it sets it in the OS.

Media apps seem to be the odd one out and don't do it.

The schedules are now officially showing The World Today:

www.bbc.co.uk 

(20-02-2024, 05:56 PM)Michael Wotton Wrote:  The schedules are now officially showing The World Today:

www.bbc.co.uk 

starting tomorrow it seems! (screenshot from tomorrow's iPlayer schedule)

[-] The following 5 users Like arbrax's post:
  • AJB39, interestednovice, Michael Wotton, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(20-02-2024, 05:56 PM)Michael Wotton Wrote:  The schedules are now officially showing The World Today:

ibb.co 

Well, just as I expected, that looks f**king terrible.
[-] The following 13 users Like LDN's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, Brekkie, chevron, conrad73, DeMarkay, GeeTeeKay474, interestednovice, Jayesyn, oscillon, Rolling News, Stuart, Superman1986

(20-02-2024, 06:20 PM)LDN Wrote:  ibb.co 

Well, just as I expected, that looks f**king terrible.

They must only have access to MS Paint
[-] The following 7 users Like Chud's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, DeMarkay, interestednovice, Jayesyn, Superman1986, xlalonce

It could have been worse and they just changed the text on the daily global titles.
[-] The following 3 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, UTVLifer

Bet there's no new music either. Such a shame they've got as talented a composer as David Lowe and hardly use him anymore!
[-] The following 12 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, DeMarkay, harshy, interestednovice, Jayesyn, kookaburra, London Lite, Quantum+83, Reith85, Rolling News, UTVLifer