BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Maryam Moshiri doing stuff with her hands again on The World Today Big Grin

twitter.com 

(22-02-2024, 09:07 PM)Chud Wrote:  Looks good in studio D. Makes the screens in C look really washed out.
And those screens in C always look like having purple tint.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frances's post:
  • James

(26-02-2024, 10:53 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Maryam Moshiri doing stuff with her hands again on The World Today Big Grin

twitter.com 

And tonight she broke the spoon!!

x.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, RhysJR, thePineapple, TVHead

Thoughts on this? Is this now too much? Too staged for a news channel?

(27-02-2024, 09:25 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  And tonight she broke the spoon!!

x.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like lobster's post:
  • bkman1990, BlightyExPat, chrisherald, Independent, JJJJ, UTVLifer

It's too much and staged. I just like a program that focused on news instead of anchors.

Can't help but compare the launch of The World Today on BBC News with The World with Yalda Hakim on Sky. I've seen neither live but seen the promotion of Sky's show, which looks classy, intelligent with a great presenter - and then on the otherhand you have the BBC which over the last 18 months seems to have lost it's class, intelligence and many of it's great presenters. Maryam needs a viral moment that shows of her journalistic credentials rather than her spoon bending, moon making, countdowning skills.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, harryb, JJJJ, UTVLifer

(28-02-2024, 09:22 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Can't help but compare the launch of The World Today on BBC News with The World with Yalda Hakim on Sky. I've seen neither live but seen the promotion of Sky's show, which looks classy, intelligent with a great presenter - and then on the otherhand you have the BBC which over the last 18 months seems to have lost it's class, intelligence and many of it's great presenters. Maryam needs a viral moment that shows of her journalistic credentials rather than her spoon bending, moon making, countdowning skills.
At the end of the day, Sky might have the style, but neither have the substance. The World is just as disappointing to me as the BBC News channel's schedule - it's very thin on actual reporting (the editions I've seen actually manage less than the BBC) and is incredibly heavy on interviews and particularly panel discussions.

This is clearly the order of the day in news world, but I'm so bored of it. The great thing about television news is its ability to provide an authoritative and succinct audio-visual summary of events - that's what I want from it. All this blah-blahing is really just overly produced visualised radio (and talk radio, not news radio). Particularly with the challenge from the two opinion channels, you'd think the BBC and Sky would focus more on what they're good at. Instead, we're left with a situation where the 'News' section of the EPG is just endless talking about the news, with far too little actual news reporting.
[-] The following 7 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, JamieD, LargelyALurker, thePineapple, watchingtv

(28-02-2024, 09:22 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Can't help but compare the launch of The World Today on BBC News with The World with Yalda Hakim on Sky. I've seen neither live but seen the promotion of Sky's show, which looks classy, intelligent with a great presenter - and then on the otherhand you have the BBC which over the last 18 months seems to have lost it's class, intelligence and many of it's great presenters. Maryam needs a viral moment that shows of her journalistic credentials rather than her spoon bending, moon making, countdowning skills.

To be honest in Scott Bryan’s eyes this sort of stuff is a viral moment. He seems obsessed with both Maryam and vaguely entertaining moments on the News Channel and spreads them widely most days.
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • chrisherald, lookoutwales, Pips2022

(22-02-2024, 11:55 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think that some are reacting positively to a really basic title sequence with 20-25 year old music shows how far presentatuon wise standards at BBC News have fallen.
I’ll admit it’s taken me a while to get round to seeing all this.

As nostalgic as it is to hear this particular piece of music on TV again, I have to agree with you.

With the pans and zooms utilised by the original World News Today, a re-tooled version of the sphere titles used on “An Là” - and previously BBC Persian - could’ve served quite well as a spiritual successor - a red and cream gradient on the sphere would’ve looked nice too.

As for the music, while I’m a fan of the original David Lowe sound, the “remix” sounds clumsy, with modern thunderclaps and strings overlaid just because they could.

It’s a nice effort and clearly had enthusiasts in mind - if they hadn’t considered the element of us lot picking up on a theme not used in 21 years, they’d have just used another cut-down version of the main theme - but it does show standards have dropped. Which is a shame.

“Detained without trial, dressed in orange, asked questions they don’t know the answers to… How would you like to work at Homebase?”
— Milton Jones
[-] The following 5 users Like itsrf's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Frances, Jeff

Another small inconsistency is capital “W” being used on the “with” on the title card of The Context and lower case “w” being used on the other title cards.

[-] The following 2 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • chrisherald, thePineapple