BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

All I can think about this is that using purple as a colour is so odd. The only BBC service I can think of where purple is prominent in the branding, to this extent, is Bitesize - which has nothing to do with news, current affairs or local content. I agree with the sentiment here that BBC News red should absolutely be the colour used.
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, James, UTVLifer

I think you might be seeing more of purple in the future

I stumbled across a video that someone filmed in NBH. At the end you can see the ever-so-slightly refreshed Studio E (see attached). The only changes I can see are the vertical screen that's been added to the right of the desk and the screen on the left has been removed.

I was assuming they would redo the catwalk lighting to match how Studio D has looked since its revamp (i.e. bottom lightbox is red and top is white), but it seems to be the same as it always has been.

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

[-] The following 9 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • AIB01WB, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, Jayesyn, lepeterrr, matthieu1221, oscillon, Reith85

(07-04-2024, 12:16 AM)MFTJA Wrote:  I was assuming they would redo the catwalk lighting to match how Studio D has looked since its revamp (i.e. bottom lightbox is red and top is white), but it seems to be the same as it always has been.
up.metropol247.co.uk 
Those LED light boxes have always been able to be any colour they wish. It's just that when they're turned off they look brown. At least it looks as though there is a curved LED wall replacing the large plasma screens.

Unless they were going to strip everything back to bare bones, and even reposition the Furio tracks, then they're fairly limited in what changes they can make. It's essentially a set designed around a circle, which other than Studio C, conflicts with everything else they're using domestically and in the US.
[-] The following 5 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, oscillon

It’s not even just Furio tracks that are limiting, either. The shape of the studio is also very specific and was clearly designed for the original set. The area behind the presenter, as they are sitting the desk, actually curves out into the newsroom floorspace to create a circular background which matches the circular desk. The Furio tracks also follow the circular pattern. As a result, the physical constraints are quite limiting.

Personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with the studio being different to Studio B. Just like how the old Studio B wasn’t identical to Studio E, the new Studio E will be distinct but clearly with certain elements which will tie together to have a distinct BBC look. The monolith screens, black desk and catwalk area will all match to the overall look - and it’s good to see that the catwalk does appear to have been upgraded.

New catwalk screens and a monolith is basically what I had hoped for, and I suspect the studio will look great with them!
[-] The following 6 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Stuart, UTVLifer

I hate to disappoint guys but I am sure from that image there still looks to be 3 separate catwalk screens, you can see the framing of Two of them continuing above the camera.

I disagree about the studio shape being a limiting factor itvis essentially a rectangular box, the design of set which included the integration of the cameras and their tracks. The curved part into the newsroom is essentially a curved rail which had been put there to continue the circular design.
The limiting factor in this case was money and investment hence the refurbishment if the set rather than a complete revamp. Although I believe money has been spent in gallery upgrades as that helps future proof the space and fits the news channels new operating structure.
[-] The following 6 users Like South's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Moz, oscillon

On the trailer for LK last night, they showed that E is now definitely sans the left hand screen, but it does seem to leave quite a large empty space.

[-] The following 9 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent, Juicy Joe, oscillon, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(06-04-2024, 06:28 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Kind of depends on the type of package and the type of guest and location, I suppose.

If you have a full time correspondent in a full BBC bureau, the production cost is essentially zero - the line connectivity is always on, they are already being paid, they just need to sit in front of a camera and talk. This would be different if the same correspondent is in the field or a smaller BBC office, or one hired from a third party, as you then have hire/travel/connectivity costs. And guests (non BBC staff) often are paid per contribution. Once the interview is over it can be replayed in the same way a package can be.

Depending on the complexity of a package, you might need to allocate three or four people to work on it - researcher to get permissions, correspondent and technician to record, and a picture editor to edit. May even need additional techs or a producer to be involved. You might need to pay for rights to use footage included in it, or guests to appear in it. You might need to involve other people in NBH to record extra material or interviews.
Yes and that only happens if the NC produces packages itself - but they’ve been mostly reusing packages from BBC1 bulletins for years.

For example in an edition of Afternoon Live in April 2019, they ran only four different packages across three hours - two of them were aired twice so in total there were six - and all were the stories on the One instead of packages made specifically for the news channel.

Nowadays with those budget cuts they’re unlikely to produce their own packages, so if they make programmes in a package-based format, what we’ll get is basically an hourly rebroadcast of the One, Six and Ten.
[-] The following 2 users Like Frances's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

(07-04-2024, 12:16 AM)MFTJA Wrote:  I stumbled across a video that someone filmed in NBH. At the end you can see the ever-so-slightly refreshed Studio E (see attached). The only changes I can see are the vertical screen that's been added to the right of the desk and the screen on the left has been removed.

I was assuming they would redo the catwalk lighting to match how Studio D has looked since its revamp (i.e. bottom lightbox is red and top is white), but it seems to be the same as it always has been.

up.metropol247.co.uk 

On that pic it looks like they have cameras by the glass wall pointing into the studio rather than pointing out if that makes sense. I wonder if they have reversed the studio or made it so they can shoot both ways
[-] The following 1 user Likes sparkyb28's post:
  • chrisherald

There was no headline music when Clive Myrie read them during the middle of the BBC News at Six.

The headline music did play out when it went to the Regions and Nations.

That did happen when I was watching BBC One NW.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • chrisherald