(12-02-2023, 06:37 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(12-02-2023, 03:48 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  This week's State Of The Union appears to be prerecorded as there is no LIVE dog. It was also shot in a much smaller studio that I'm having trouble identifying. They've used the Inside Politics desk.
The first part had the LIVE dog and was airing from Studio D (home to Inside Politics and The Lead), with its tale-telling curved pillar. No wonder it was live - third flying object was downed over Canada well into Saturday evening.
[Image: image.png]
The latter parts were pre-recorded, with Jake giving live introductions to two of the recorded interviews. The recorded parts also seem to me to originate from D, they just used a small part of it near the big screens. The characteristic vertical stripes at the end of the screen give it away, as they are seen only in Studio D.
Not sure whether the stripes are physical or not, as they are somehow not seen during the Lead, but compare the images above from today to the well-known images of Studio D.
[Image: NCS_CNN-Studio-D-Washington_0002.JPG]
[Image: NCS_CNN-Studio-D-Washington_0007.JPG]
Thanks for the detailed analysis here. I still don't understand why the panel was prerecorded? It's very unusual for SOTU to be anything but live. Actually it's usually always live. 

Without wanting to feed into the idea that work is underway at the studios at CNN Washington it does seem peculiar. 

Was Inside Politics live today?

(12-02-2023, 06:45 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Thanks for the detailed analysis here. I still don't understand why the panel was prerecorded? It's very unusual for SOTU to be anything but live. Actually it's usually always live. 

Without wanting to feed into the idea that work is underway at the studios at CNN Washington it does seem peculiar. 

Inside Politics was live, apparently with a different panel than SOTU.

May be the initial idea for SOTU was to be pre-recorded, as it is Super Bowl day in the US (and Jake is apparently a fan), but then, with interviews already conducted, another flying object was downed in Canada and so they switched to doing part of it live.

On Jan.1, which was not only a New Year holiday, but also a Sunday, SOTU also went pre-recorded, but so did Inside Politics and even CNN TM Weekend.

(12-02-2023, 06:58 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(12-02-2023, 06:45 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Thanks for the detailed analysis here. I still don't understand why the panel was prerecorded? It's very unusual for SOTU to be anything but live. Actually it's usually always live. 

Inside Politics was live, apparently with a different panel than SOTU.

May be the initial idea for SOTU was to be pre-recorded, as it is Super Bowl day in the US (and Jake is apparently a fan), but then, with interviews already conducted, another flying object was downed in Canada and so they switched to doing part of it live.

On Jan.1, which was not only a New Year holiday, but also a Sunday, SOTU also went pre-recorded, but so did Inside Politics and even CNN TM Weekend.

Inside Politics will always have a completely different panel to SOTU otherwise what would be the point?

Holidays at CNN such as Jan 1st are traditionally recorded.

The big Q/Anomaly is why SOTU was recorded this week...

(12-02-2023, 08:02 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  The big Q/Anomaly is why SOTU was recorded this week...
To that the only answer that comes to my mind is - Super Bowl which is as-close-to-a-holiday-as-you-can-get for some. It is one the biggest events of the year, and THE biggest TV event of the year for advertisers.
Pre-recorded SOTU is not the only anomaly today - CNN is going to cease live broadcasting at 6 PM, three hours earlier than usual, and no Chris Wallace today as well.

Also worth noting that Paula Newton will anchor two 30 minute editions of CNN Newsroom on CNNI at 10pm and 11pm ET tonight.

Would be nice if these were permanent fixtures on Saturday/Sunday nights (early Sunday and Monday mornings) when CNNUS concludes early.
[-] The following 2 users Like EastCoast's post:
  • bkman1990, oscillon

(12-02-2023, 09:00 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Also worth noting that Paula Newton will anchor two 30 minute editions of CNN Newsroom on CNNI at 10pm and 11pm ET tonight.

Would be nice if these were permanent fixtures on Saturday/Sunday nights (early Sunday and Monday mornings) when CNNUS concludes early.
Can I ask how you gleamed this info? She's already covering Jim Acosta's duties today. That's one hell of a long shift.

(12-02-2023, 10:46 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(12-02-2023, 09:00 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Also worth noting that Paula Newton will anchor two 30 minute editions of CNN Newsroom on CNNI at 10pm and 11pm ET tonight.

Can I ask how you gleamed this info? She's already covering Jim Acosta's duties today. That's one hell of a long shift.

It's Paula Reid who's covering for Acosta. Paula Newton had her shift on CNNI from midnight to 2AM ET today and will have two additional half-hour bulletins at 10 and 11 PM ET, and then a regular shift from midnight to 2 AM ET again, as seen in CNNI's schedule.
==========================================================
UPD. Paula Newton is briefly participating in the current show as a correspondent, specializing on Canada's involvement in the case.
Considering it is 5 PM now in Atlanta, and she will be later on air till 2 AM, this is really going to be a long working day for her.
==========================================================

We already knew from last week that midnight CNNI anchors can go on air as soon as 10 PM ET in case of breaking news, so may be this has to do with the developing story about yet another flying object being shot down this afternoon.

(12-02-2023, 03:55 AM)inletwindow Wrote:  
(12-02-2023, 01:22 AM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Good thing they are getting a new studio soon in Atlanta. That looks pretty awful.

I don't think it looks that bad.  Still, I think it worked better when HLN used it before they moved to Studio 7.

I wonder how many studios are being built at Techwood.  Obviously at least one -- but is it more than one? 
And they're repurposing parts of Studio 7 -- so will it just be a Studio 7 clone? 

If it is just one CNN studio at Techwood -- then CNNI would have to do a handoff to CNN U.S. on weekend mornings, which would be interesting.

They'd also need a studio for Charles Barkley, if CNN does actually hire him.  Or maybe they could just reuse the NBA TV studios (which are also at Techwood).
Regarding CNN en Español, weekday programing is broadcast between Miami, Buenos Aires and Mexico City. Only one live programme comes from CNN Center, which is anchored by Rafael Romo on Weekends. That show is broadcasted at the time CNNUS is showing Newsroom from DC

(12-02-2023, 10:46 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  

The CNNI online schedule does a really good job of saying who will anchor the upcoming editions of CNN Newsroom:

edition.cnn.com 

(12-02-2023, 09:00 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Would be nice if these were permanent fixtures on Saturday/Sunday nights (early Sunday and Monday mornings) when CNNUS concludes early.
And we now know that additional CNNI Newsroom bulletins had little to do with 4th flying object downed -- at least 10 PM ET edition had it only as a one-minute-long story almost ten minutes into the program, the top story to take the preceding nearly 10 minuites being the earthquake aftermath.
So indeed it was a special treatment for international viewers who otherwise would be left for 6 hours without live news coverage.

On the contrary, current CNNI Newsroom 2 AM ET edition, airing now on CNN/US as well, has the flying object downing as its top story.